Upgrade to PL5.1.0 Build 4690 from previous PL5.1.0 build - Export to disk options lost, reverted to defaults

Okay guys, thank you! Could you please, provide me with the latest logs in a zip format then?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Yes, there was a reference to watermark presets.

Svetlana (@sgospodarenko) I apologise that I might have “lied” about the ‘Watermark’. It is not a feature that I use but I just checked my PL4 output options and there is one with a “Copyright BHT” watermark in it and these would have formed the initial options for PL5!!

Franky (@Franky) I was afraid that it might be “too easy” that the User.config was the whole story. When I originally looked at the file the editors I was using effectively word-wrapped the “long line” and that put me off trying to cut & paste. However I have switched to Hippo Edit which makes it much easier to handle the file and so copied from 5.0.2 to 5.1.0.4690.

Comparing the files it is in place and the User.config file is a similar size to 5.0.2 but the output options are not present in PL5. So I made a number of changes to see if I could force PL5 to recognise the changed settings, closing and re-opening PL5 after each change and then checking the export settings.

1. I added a grid and the User.config was rewritten (as shown by Hippo-Edit). No change with export.
  2. Removed the navigation window. No update (?) no change.
  3. Added a new export option. No update & no change (except for the new option).
  4. Added another export option, either immediately or on close down PL5 crashed!
  5. Added another export option and PL5 hung!! PL5 is still clocking up some low level processor but I cannot access it.

@sgospodarenko do you still want the log and what about the crash data (given that I have been “hacking” the PL5.1.0.4690 User.config?

EDIT(1):-

I just used Beyond Compare to copy the export settings from the User.config where I had added the 20 export options to 5.1.0.4690 to the one I am currently “playing” with (also .4690)! Opening PL5 showed the 20 options I had added! The state of the User.config file still caused PL5 to hang!!

So copying from User.configs of the same version might work but

END EDIT(1):-
EDIT(2):-
Restoring the 20 added exports User.config restored PL5 back to health but the setting for the ‘MOVE/ZOOM’ ‘Palette’ is not held in the User.config, i.e. it did not return with the old User.config.
END EDIT(2):-

Sorry, but looking at the user.config file with a text editor, I did have an export preset with a watermark.

Frank (@Franky) same here which only goes to shows that when something vanishes unexpectedly (human) memory is not that useful to return things back to the way they were!

I think that the assumption about the location of the options in the User.config is correct.

I tried the experiment again and after closing PL5 the User.config for 4690 had reverted to using the defaults but I believe that the rest of the config was as it should have been i.e. the whole thing had not reverted to default just the OutputSettings because they were considered “unacceptable”.

I may have found 
 indeed the watermark may be the cause.
In the user.config file, I changed the lines removing the references to my watermark:
<a: OverrideWatermark> false </ a: OverrideWatermark>
<a: WatermarkPreset />

but same consequence, deletion of my export presets.

But there was another export presets where the checkbox was unchecked but there was a watermark name in the drop-down list, which in the user.config file looked like

<a:WatermarkPreset i:nil=“true”/>
I replaced it with
<a: WatermarkPreset />

And bingo, it works 

Well I hope that help to resolve the problem

1 Like

After several tries the watermark works.
The only time it doesn’t work is when the checkbox is not checked and there is a name in the drop-down list.
And I replace <a:WatermarkPreset i:nil=“true”/> with <a: WatermarkPreset /> and it works.

1 Like

Okay guys, thank you for the details. Now it’s more obvious, will try to reproduce and keep you informed.

Update: yes, I can reproduce - confirmed, it will be investigated. But as a workaround (if you have same export settings in PL4), you can remove PL5 folders from here - %LocalAppData%\DxO\DxO.PhotoLab.exe_StrongName_addo3jomrfkt2faiwwfxxb444r1xfvlh and run PL5 again.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

No need to reinstall PL5, starting it will recreate its user.config file from the latest version found.

1 Like

Yes, no need. Only run (launch) again.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Thank you Frank (@Franky) and Svetlana (@sgospodarenko) I can confirm that removing (“hiding”) all the 5.?.?.? directories containing the ‘user.config’ files works and PL5 retrieves the settings from the last ‘user.config’ it can find (and is prepared to look at?) in %LocalAppData%\DxO\DxO.PhotoLab.exe_StrongName_addo3jomrfkt2faiwwfxxb444r1xfvlh

1 Like

Same for me, I could retrieve my export settings by deleting or moving away all the 5.x.x folders from the %LocalAppData%\DxO\DxO.PhotoLab.exe_StrongName_addo3jomrfkt2faiwwfxxb444r1xfvlh folder. What a name !

It would be great to have an export settings function for saving a backup or sharing it with 2 DXO PL installations.

I think that the sharing of export settings will only be possible if the settings are held external to the user.config essentially the same as the editing presets. While these can be imported and exported from within the preset editor the simplest way to manage them is to simply copy all of them and to cull the ones you don’t want, change the names etc. using standard file manager software.

The good news is that we can currently do that with presets but not with export settings. Care must be taken if using the file management technique with respect to compatibility between PL releases if the 2 systems are running different levels of software but that should not be a problem if the two systems are running the same level of software.

What could be a problem is moving photos and DOPs between system please see How to use PhotoLab on multiple Apple Computers - #32 by mikemyers for a discussion of the problems of transferring DOPs in particular between systems

A v5.1.2 has just released and correct this bug

1 Like

Yes, the Export options are held in the user.config file - in a row identified as being "OutputSettings;
image etc, etc, etc 
 A VERY long row

All details are stored on this one long row - So, for someone with confidence to copy/paste from an earlier version of the user.config file (say, 5.0.2) to 5.1.0, using a suitable text editor, it’s a simple task.

• Of course, do save a backup first 
 JIC !

John M

1 Like

@Franky Thank you for the heads up.

PL5 was open on one machine for most of the day but I started testing on the other machine and got the heads up that 5.1.2 was available and it is now installed on both. Before installing on my main machine I made sure that I added more export options and they survived the upgrade.

@John-M Thanks for the info. We managed to find them and @Franky did the editing.

While it is not a major annoyance (for me) to lose them it certainly would be for someone who set up a lot of export profiles with Watermarks etc. and relied on them for business purposes and then found they had unexpected work after an upgrade!

1 Like