U Point on RAW: export formats available after?

(This is for the DXO/NIK team)

Hi, I do not work with Jpegs. Never.
I shoot in RAW, edit in RAW as much as I can and export my final images to TIFF.
The new NIK 2 can use the U Point on RAW? This is great news.
I use NIK before the Google days, so I bought this suite several time and will pay again ,-( Must worth the money.
Open a RAW files with NIK was never an option. Only TIFF.
So, now that it is possible to edit RAW files on NIK (edit the RAW as much as I need within the entire NIK suite?), must I export the result only as a JPEG file in the last stage?
Which export formats are available?
Please do not give bad news ,-) Jpegs is not an option to me; neither sRGB.

Thanks.
Cheers.

I think that DXO was very unclear about this. Other than in PhotoLab’s local adjustments, U-point does not work with raw files. I believe that claim is based on the addition of a free version of PhotoLab Essential along with the Nik Collection. PhotoLab Essential has U point technology built into it’s local adjustments which can be applied to raw images before exporting them to the Nik applications as tiffs or jpegs. However, the individual Nik applications still do not have that ability.

I think DXO will regret implying they would. I believe the idea that it would is more geared for marketing to new users and to those who have never tried PhotoLab. Existing user of the Nik Collection will discover that immediately, especially when running it from other software like PhotoShop, and will quickly become very disappointed. I see a potential marketing disaster on their hands as people start to demand their money back for what they might construe as a false claim.

Mark

2 Likes

Wow. Glad that I read this. The upgrade verbiage strongly implies RAW editing in the Nik Collection.

Again, wow.

This is not official mind you. I’m just a knowledgeable end user. Since they are giving you a free copy of PhotoLab Essential with the Nik Collection they are sort of implying that its part of the Nik Collection.

Mark

This is really misleading as it is displayed on the website. The best way is to simply download and test the trial.

To be fair to the DxO marketing team, that’s not so … they actually do make it quite clear. The marketing blurb says;

with DxO PhotoLab 2.3 ESSENTIAL Edition, which comes with the Nik Collection 2 by DxO, you can apply U Point exclusive local adjustment technology to your RAW files.

And, I reckon it’s pretty impressive that a new user can acquire the Nik Collection AND the basic/essential version of PL for only $US 59.99.

John M

It’s actually not as clear as you suggest. On the home page https://nikcollection.dxo.com/ under What’s New? it just says, “Edit Raw files with U Point” and underneath that “You can now apply U Point exclusive local adjustment technology to RAW files giving photographers more versatility and creative possibilities.”

It says nothing at that point about using PhotoLab, and veteran users of the Nik Collection knowing that the apps use the U Point technology will most likely assume that they now support raw. That may be very misleading to current Nik users.

And for new users the price is $99.99 USD, not $69.99. However. for new users not committed to a raw editor, the bundled combination is a tremendous bargain. Recent purchasers of the Essential version at full price ($129.99 USD) may not be too happy. They missed getting it and the new version of the Nik Collection together for only $99.99 USD.

Mark

1 Like

Ah, OK - - Yes, that certainly could be misconstrued …
A marketing-person blunder, I suspect (I’ve been the victim of a few of those myself !)

John

I had also edited my original response to you with this:

And for new users the price is $99.99 USD, not $69.99. However. for new users not committed to a raw editor, the bundled combination is a tremendous bargain. Recent purchasers of the Essential version at full price ($129.99 USD) may not be too happy. They missed getting it and the new version of the Nik Collection together for only $99.99 USD.

Mark

Hence my aforementioned point.

And hence my mea culpa.

John

1 Like

Love you, bro. :grinning:

1 Like

And for old Nik users with an unsupported camera it is not a good deal!!

I assume you mean unsupported by Photolab.

Yes I do. I now shoot with Fuji and cannot import raw files, including dng files into PhotoLab. I believe DxO have missed an opportunity as Fuji owners were looking for a good raw converter, but Capture One and now Lightroom are providing better solutions.
I have downloaded a trial version of PL and imported Tiff files from Photoshop to see what the program can do. It read them ok, but Photoshop didn’t recognise the Tiff file when exported from PL. While PL looks like a good program, it is essentially useless for me.
So while I love Nik which I have used since it was first developed, and would like to support DxO, I cannot justify the expense just to get some Nik recipes. I am quite disappointed about this.
If the DxO plan is to link Nik with PL, then I will need to consider whether I keep using Nik or not, unless PL is updated to use with Fuji cameras.

I have used tiffs from DXO for years in Photoshop without problems. Something else must happen there

DxO doesn’t support the latest raw Fuji files

Yes I know Fuji files are not supported as stated above. But after PL reads a Tiff file from Photoshop (after Nik edits), why won’t it export a Tiff readable by Photoshop.
My main point however is that for me this latest Nik update has little value as a Mac user, and who can’t use PL. I also tend not to use presets or recipes.

Hello Ianwm,
I would get in touch with support and send them one of your PL created tiffs. I am also on a mac and never had a problem. Could you save a tiff on the forum, I would like to try.

Sigi

Hi Sigi
Thanks for your interest in my issue. I have been trying to make a tiff small enough to load directly on the forum and I was able to open it in Photoshop. I am wondering therefore whether it is a size issue.
I am unable to upload the bigger files onto the forum. I will keep experimenting!