Tutorials DxO PhotoLab by the user

Vielen Dank!

2 Likes

no DxOPL thing but when you upgrade your Win 10 OS to Win10 1903 then Raw Image Extension by appstore is available to use which gives you the image thubnails back again for a lot of camera’s…:grin:

Proof G80 rw2’s

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your work and time. Because there is a lack of (printed) books about DxO PL2, these informations are incredibly useful!

Lothar

3 Likes

Lothar, There is a manual:

https://help-photolab2.dxo.com/en/home

2 Likes

Hi Jim,

thank you for the hint, but I already knew this. What I meant is a “normal” book, like the lots of printed books available for the Adobe products or Affinity Photo etc.

Lothar

Aha! You meant hard copy! To my knowledge, there are no books published about PhotoLab. However, there are a few about NIK. And, there are a few free pdf downloads (about NIK).

Hi Jim,
Do you mind sharing the links ?

https://manualsbrain.com/en/manuals/83952/

Try searching “nik software manual”; I get a few hits on Naturescape.

2 Likes

Thanks Jim.

This set of YouTube videos, by Anthony Morganti, go back to pre-DxO days - but they provide excellent coverage of each of the Nik Collection tools.

Regards, John M

5 Likes

Hi John, welcom back, how was Europe? Shot a suitage full of film? :grinning:

Thanks for the link i didn’t know this guy, when i have the time i will watch some of those about Nik.
Nik is still a “box” out side my regular workflow but the features are to wide and good to ignore them.
Watching those clips is bringing idea’s in for your own processing.

Thx, Peter - - Yes, we had a great time in both UK (Sth-West) and France (down the middle) … and, yes, I did capture quite a few images (fortunately for me, I have very patient wife/partner).

John

3 Likes

John, thanks for the link to the videos. They are really well done.

3 Likes

Thank you John.

2 Likes

I have a question about the color picker for WB. In the image you were painting out that one should select the white of the boat. But how do you know that this isn’t some kind of “dirty” or yellowish white, hence not true white. If the white of the boat isn’t real white, wouldn’t this impact the overall white balance of the image? Thanks!

2 Likes

The guy who took the image know that the boat was white and that the light of the area casting a blue tint all across the field.
Known effect in the area.
He wanted with dxo plv1.2 in this case a different look more real to his mind.
Redisch orange glow in the sky, lifted shadows in the foliage and such. More to the dynamics of the human eye.

So we tried to use the color picker and color temp sliders to look for a more natural look.
And i loaded his image in SP used the Auto Absolute WB and used a sundown enhancer preset dodge n burn the shadows highlights and it looked more to his eye’s.
So i tried to replicate this image in dxo with the tools dxo provided. (just to see if we could do it)
This was much more steps. And i did a “how i did it” just to show the difference and why dxo needed a kind of auto correction WB other then the colorpicker it self.

So it was a exercise a how can we achieve and overcome a “problem” like his blue cast. we did the same with river image and a “door”.

(i learn a trick from a poster that tonecurve is very handy to create a “blacklevel” dehaze above the usual clearview tool slider., So if you got a handy trick in dxo pl please share. :slightly_smiling_face:
Same as the multicolor light casting of the windows and interieur light. :slightly_smiling_face:

Lots of work there @Pieloe, well done! :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Peter - I do remember you explaining this - but I cannot recall where you did so !

Would you please point us to it …

John M

John,
I think this may be the discussion you were thinking about:

Regards, Joseph

2 Likes