Transfering PL3 from one HDD to another HDD

PL3 Elite is installed on my C: drive which also houses the OS and it’s getting full. How can I install PL3 on another drive without looseing my personal settings?

Hi

Firstly, can I ask? When you say it is getting full do you mean it is the only HDD in your PC and that it is filling up with your picture files (and other data)?

But based on what you say and surmising the above:-

a) Fit a second drive purely for data storage and copy all your data to that drive (deleting any stuff you no longer need on the C drive after you have safely copied the data)? NB I do hope that you are keeping backups of your data files on separate external drives!

b) Clone your C drive to a much larger capacity drive…but will you eventually fill the space on that one with data files?

c) do both of the above :wink:

HTH a little perhaps :slight_smile:

I do have multiple backups on external drives, I also have several drives internally with lots of spare capacity. PL3 is installed on my boot drive (by accident) which is a SSD. I want to install PL3 on one of my internal hard drives and then remove it from my boot drive without losing any of my personal settings and palettes. Is there a way to transfer these to the new installation, or will the new install find the old one and pick up those settings automatically?

Hello canuck57,

before you delete copy and move these files:

Workspace files – %LocalAppData%\DxO\DxO PhotoLab 3\Workspaces - if you have custom workspace
Presets – %LocalAppData%\DxO\DxO PhotoLab 3\Presets - if you have custom presets
Database - %appdata%\DxO\DxO PhotoLab 3\Database
Licences – %ProgramData%\DxO Labs\Licenses

If you have sidecars files you do not need to copy the database - it will be created automatically again because you have the .dop sidecar files. But copying the database can not hurt.

Sigi

Careful with that one. I propose to copy the database too. Why? Because you can use DPL without sidecars but not without the database.

As long as you have all your corrections saved in sidecar/.dop files for all your RAW files (or, at least, those RAWs that you care about) - then you do not need to copy the Database … PL will create a new Database, as needed.

I regularly delete my Database file(s) - to speed things up, as I rely only on sidecar/.dop files … and this approach works just fine.

Regards, John M

Sidecars are written by DPL and who knows if they store all the things you need/want? We users have no choice but to use sidecars or not. No other choice or influence here! I don’t use the .dop sidecars

True, if you are willing to lose the keywords you entered in DPL. They are not saved in the .dop sidecars - at least not in the Mac version of DPL 3!

True. I also delete the database from time to time, but my main app/dam is Lightroom, therefore I don’t have to rely on the DPL database.

Other than Keywords (which is you next point) I have never found any correction information that’s not saved in the sidecar/.dop files.

Yes, that’s correct - - I was forgetting that, as I have no interest in PL’s DAM features.

So, to clarify my assertion;

• As long as you have all your corrections saved in sidecar/.dop files for all your RAW files (or, at least, those RAWs that you care about) AND you do not care about saving Keywords - then you do not need to copy the Database … PL will create a new Database, as needed.

John M

1 Like

Thank you all for your input, I have learned a lot and achieved my objective.

Merry Christmas.:beer: