Top tip for getting the best out of PhotoLab

Learn how your camera works, don’t leave it on automatic and take better pictures!

Seriously. Haven’t you heard of GIGO (garbage in, garbage out)? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Tesla learns every one stop driving yourself, quit stick shifting, stop steering just watch the big screen in the middle under that windscreen wile we drive…

I am confused…:joy:

I upgraded from a Canon 50D to a 90D two weeks ago. I haven’t used the Auto function on the 50D for a decade. However, the application of AI to the Auto and Scene functions in the 90D produces some amazing results. I would not be surprised to see the manual functions of cameras completely phased out in the next decade.

I think Computational Photography will arrive in digital cameras very soon - very much like what mobile phones do now.

I’m sure you’re right, Keith … but, where’s the fun it that ?! :thinking:

John M

Any new technology is fun to play with but you don’t have to use it for serious work :thinking: I would suggest it could be useful to capture the shot if time is short to setup your camera. I guess we will have to wait and see what features camera manufacturers decide to provide then decide if they will be useful.

1 Like

Oh please no! Next thing you know, we’ll be expected to tell our cameras to go out and find and take the pictures all by itself :roll_eyes:

Ansel Adams, among others, made the distinction between simply taking photos and making photos.

Phone cameras seem to be all about taking photos, often without any knowledge of how to get a good result, accepting that “the camera knows best”. On our walks around the coast near here I often see people trying to capture the wonderful panoramic views that are available - on a phone held in the portrait orientation. And, yes, I have gone up to some of them and pointed out that they could turn their phone and often get the reaction that they didn’t think of that. Presumably because people predominantly still think of a phone as a communication device to be held between the ear and the mouth. Then they go home to squint at their portrait-oriented images on a wide-screen television, with a massive black stripe down both sides.

I have taught at our local photo club on how to make pictures and it is so rewarding to see members slowly but surely turning off “automatic everything” and using their own creativity to make better images rather than leaving it up to some engineer’s idea of what looks good.

5 Likes

:joy: I couldn’t agree more @Joanna! But I doubt camera manufacturers will not try and complete with mobile phones, at least at the entry level.

Googlemaps is already a here you can take this picture as others did…

And at the moment I see a lot of young people, buying analog cameras, lern to photograph and develop films and pictures and have a lot of fun. Maybe this is similar to the renaissance of Forging during the last years.
But to learn taking photograps I think is a lifetime process independent from digital or analog…so I agree with Joanna.

I agree with the first part, but not the second. If you learn how your camera works, then you will better understand how its automatic features work. I know quite a lot about how mine works but almost never use it in full manual mode. I choose which automation the camera is allowed to do.

A “phone” is primarily a communication device, but not to be held between ear and mouth. :grin:

But probably the greater problem is that taking photos with a phone is not, in itself, a mark of an interest in photography and therefore considering the best way to capture the scene. I’d wager a lot of the people you see have never held a “real camera” let alone set about capturing wonderful vistas with them.

:+1:

Unless it’s for something special like “HDR” type shots, I tend to use aperture priority most of the time.

With specific ISO - or Auto-ISO ?

John

I am like Joanna and most of time it is ISO 100.

I was an aperture priority fan too - but now I’m using Program-Shift (#) mode, which works very well on my Olympus OM-D … much better than on my Sony a7~ as the OM-D continually displays ISO values (incl. when Auto-ISO is used).

#: Program-Shift mode is a variation on standard Program mode (where the camera chooses both Aperture & Shutter-Speed, based on metered scene) - in that spinning a control wheel shifts the Ap/SS combos whilst maintaining the same exposure setting … with this I get, effectively, aperture priority OR shutter-priority in the one mode, which I can quickly apply as the circumstance requires.

John

Pentax have the same mode on cameras with enough control wheels.

I have never used auto-ISO, I just change it depending on the available light.

1 Like

Canon has introduced FP mode where everything is auto but you can easily change any or all settings depending on your required result. The settings you can change are: shutter, aperture, ISO and exposure compensation. Exposure is still Auto and very similar to program shift but a lot more flexible.

Two days ago i saw a guy taking pictures with an early 20th century gear. I am sure he sees single point AF and Aperture priority as auto mode :wink:
i think the point is to know your gear so that you minimize the number of bad shots (blury, not well lighted,…) and can concentrate on composition, live instant,…
Smartphone can take tremendous shots with the advantage of having less processing needed at home and instant sharing. Also, eye focus is now very good on mirrorless. So auto can be good.
It depends also on what you take pleasure in : technical aspect of taking a picture, taking the instant shot, keep a souvenir, take hours for processing, having the best prints,…
Fortunately we don’t have same feelings.