To show meaningful names for Canon ICC/ICM color profiles

I’m starting to use PL4 to print to my Canon Pixma-Pro100.
In the print module, I get a number of cryptic choices for color profiles indicating different types of Canon papers with the Pro-100 inks. I found a ‘decoder ring’ (the name the print module shows is to the left of ‘.ICM’. To the right of that is what the profile is for):

CNBBDDB0.ICM Canon PRO-100 2/3 Matte Photo Paper
CNBBDIB0.ICM Canon PRO-100 2/3 Fine Art Museum Etching
CNBBDKA0.ICM Canon PRO-100 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss
CNBBDKC0.ICM Canon PRO-100 3 Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss
CNBBDMA0.ICM Canon PRO-100 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold
CNBBDMC0.ICM Canon PRO-100 3 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold
CNBBDNA0.ICM Canon PRO-100 1/2 Photo Paper Pro Platinum
CNBBDNC0.ICM Canon PRO-100 3 Photo Paper Pro Platinum
CNBBDPB0.ICM Canon PRO-100 2 Other Fine Art Paper 1
CNBBDQB0.ICM Canon PRO-100 2 Other Fine Art Paper 2
CNBBDRB0.ICM Canon PRO-100 2 Other Glossy Paper
CNBBDUA0.ICM Canon PRO-100 1/2 Photo Paper Pro Luster
CNBBDUC0.ICM Canon PRO-100 3 Photo Paper Pro Luster
CNBBDVA0.ICM Canon PRO-100 1/2 Photo Paper Pro Platinum N
CNBBDVC0.ICM Canon PRO-100 3 Photo Paper Pro Platinum N
CNBBDWB0.ICM Canon PRO-100 2/3 Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte
CNBBDXB0.ICM Canon PRO-100 2/3 Matte Photo Paper N
CNBBDYA0.ICM Canon PRO-100 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold A
CNBBDYC0.ICM Canon PRO-100 3 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold A
CNBJPRN3.ICM Canon IJ Color Printer Profile 2005

This works fine for me, now that I know what’s what.
But it would make printing easier for anyone printing to Canon if the print module showed the more-meaningful strings. The Canon forum folks tell me those are embedded in ICC/ICM files.
Not sure if I should classify this as a ‘bug’ or as a ‘what feature do you want’ (?)

Hello,

@alex could you please, have a look at the issue and say if we can do something about it ?

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello,

It’s definitely ‘what feature do you want’.

Alex

Thank you. I’ll transform it into the request. @bobkoure could you, please, vote for it?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Done.
BTW, one way to get PL to show more meaningful names is to rename the ICM files as PL shows the filename.
For anyone else printing to a Canon Pixma Pro-100, that ‘decoder ring’ is here.
I expect the same issue exists for other Canon printers, but I’ve been unable to test that.

Topic is duplicated here:

1 Like

For those being on Windows … and want to change the internal name of an ICC profile

I’ve been using it since long.

I’ve given up. Maybe it’s just Canon that names ICCs something cryptic. (FWIW Red River does not). It’s still non-functional in PL7, so users with Canon printers have to figure this out on their own.

I have checked and I do not see any profiles that follow the naming that you list in your original post. All the profiles in the driver for my Pro-10s have names in this format “Canon PRO-10S series GL3.icc” which are still pretty cryptic. This particular paper GL3 decodes to “Canon PRO-10S 3 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold” which I interpret to mean that the name serves to identify where the profile is displayed in the menu inside the driver. However, I am unable to select this profile directly from inside DxO PL. See below.

Wolfgang mentions editing the meta data of any profile you want to use. On a Mac this is achieved by opening the profile in the ColorSync App and changing the text stored in the localised description strings.

Photolab 7 lists ICC profiles by meta data and not file name as stated above but many ICC generation applications write the file name into the metadata which may cause confusion.

As I said above I am unable to navigate the profile picker in PL7 to read the icc profiles in the printer driver. I think that is for good reason as they are icc profiles associated with the media settings in the driver. As I understand things if you were able to select them from inside PL7 you would be using the same profile twice as it or similar has to be selected inside the printer driver via the media type menu as you always have to select a media type when printing.

I am not certain I am correct but these are my thoughts having just created some new profiles.

Talking about printing, there are two use cases for a paper profile

• in the Softproof
    grafik
    which simulates on screen how your print will look like

• in the Print modul
    grafik
    which applies the icc-profile in the printing process

without physical change to your file.

When exporting to disk or to application, you never use paper profiles,
while I’m sure some people still do and then wonder about the double profiling.