TIP: Film Pack & View Point updates

For those of us who, like me, mostly (or only) use FilmPack and ViewPoint as tools integrated within PhotoLab … it’s worthwhile running these tools occasionally in standalone mode so that a check is done for updates.

I’ve just done so and discovered new versions of each of these tools … including an important one for View Point that fixes the issue with “perspective correction on modified images”

Regards, John M

4 Likes

Every update of the plugs-in is contained in the code DPL John :wink:
Pascal

Thanks, John!

Pascal: are you sure? When starting PL, it only mentions “Viewpoint 3” without precise version info.
Starting VP as stand-alone shows me that I currently have 3.1.7 and offers the 3.1.8 upgrade.

This results in several improvement suggestions:

• Display all exact version infos in the PL signon.
  • Search for plugin updates when PL is started and inform accordingly.
  • Provide more detailed info/documentation about if (or that) plugin updates are included in PL updates.

Tilmann

1 Like

YES
There is no additional action to take for ViewPoint and FilmPack add-in users in DPL environment. The ViewPoint and FilmPack code is included in DPL.

Display all exact version infos in the PL signon.

it’s a good idea.

Pascal

1 Like

Pascal,

Do you mean that if I have a VP and FP license installed while the standalone versions of VP and FP are not installed, I’ll get the VP and FP modules in DPL anyway ? This is something that I never checked since I have always upgraded the 3 products simultaneously. This raises a few questions :

Let’s assume I decide to not upgrade to the next major version of VP or FP. So I’ll have a valid license for the previous (current) version of this product installed on my system. If the plugin code used by DPL is not the same as the code of the separately installed standalone version, what will happen in DPL since you mean this code is embedded in DPL itself ? Which version of VP or FP will it (try to) run ?

If DPL always contains the latest version of VP/FP, my license will no longer be valid for that version. However, since that license is valid for the previous version of VP/FP, I should be able to run that previous version as a plugin in my current version of DPL whatever it is.

Again, this is something I have never checked and I will not uninstall VP and FP just to be sure. But there’s something here that I don’t understand. Maybe I’m missing something obvious…

YES

NO

DPL runs the last code for VP and FP license but with their authorized functions.
If you have DPL2 but VP2 you can not use the tilt & shift functionality but you run the last debuged code for the perspevtive control from VP.

Pascal

DPL runs the last code for VP and FP license but with their authorized functions.
If you have DPL2 but [not ?] VP2 you can not use the tilt & shift functionality but you run the last debuged code for the perspevtive control from VP.

OK. But how is it updated in DPL ? For example, I just downloaded and installed the latest versions of VP and FP. But DPL had not been updated (nothing changed in the DPL folders and there’s nothing from DxO in the Common Files folder). So either that code is really a part of DPL and I should have seen a change somewhere OR the code is shared between DPL and VP/FP (which seems more logical to me) and in that case, DPL will not see the new code until I install the new standalone version.

Your statements indicate that you believe that the first case is what’s actually happening. Does this mean that DPL is always updated with the latest versions of VP/FP before the new VP and VP versions are released to the users (in order to be sure that they are in sync) ? Or, putting it another way, does this mean that I already had the new/fixed features in DPL but not in the standalone versions of VP/FP installed on my system ?

Also, as mentioned above, what will happen if the VP/FP update is a major version update and if I don’t want to upgrade but keep the current version ? Again, I’m totally ignorant in this area but I’m still confused…

Patrick you’re okay with this statement “about ten times as many updates for DPL than VP or FP”.
For a minor update of VP or FP, you can imagine in the same time for DPL !?

If you run VP2 on your DPL2 you can not use the tilt & shift functionality but you run the last debuged code for the perspevtive control from VP.

Sure :wink:

Pascal

Seeing this thread led me to run ViewPoint 2, ViewPoint 3, and FilmPack 5 to check for updates. All were updated. (Windows) Strange thing, though: Microsoft User Access Control identified the FilmPack 5 standalone update with the red FP icon but the name DxOViewPoint3. :face_with_raised_eyebrow::smile: I submitted a report.