Tiff vs Raw editing

Thanks, Greg!

Yes, I did see this and voted for it, as it seems like it would be of obvious benefit. The maths seems to suggest that it’s not a big burden for the difference it would make.

Cheers, Mike

Unfortunately that link seems broken. Here’s the correct link in case folks want to see the whole conversation.

This is such an important topic - thanks for bringing it up again.

It did all come up for me in Greg’s post. Agree, very important and seemingly not much of a burden on workflow, given the maths.

Thanks! I actually took this in August and attached is what I posted. As it’s for surfers, there are a few things they like. One thing is a picture in a barrel (or tube), sometimes known as “the green room” or the like. So, although this is largely made up of white water, it could develop into a bit of a barrel and the water overhead seemed important to the image. All subjective, of course, and I could make another decision on another day :rofl:

I won’t get a chance to re-edit for a few days as my MacBook Pro is off for battery servicing in the morning! Never needed it before but should be under warranty.

1 Like

Here on the North Brittany coast, we do get some good surf when the weather is right but we don’t get as many barrels.

On the other hand, as with surfers everywhere, there’s always the odd one who can’t quite stay attached to their board :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Could you not apply optical corrections after conversion to DNG using Nik Collection’s Perspective Efex ?

Joanna,

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I am trying to follow your approach to sharpening this image, so I downloaded the original CR2 file and your DOP file. However, none of the corrections you mentioned in your post are applied to the image in PL4. What am I missing here?
Regards, Joseph

EDIT 11/09/20
Problem solved! I just remembered that since I am trying out PL4, I unchecked the option to load settings from sidecar files automatically.

1 Like

I think it’s a universal problem, @Joanna! :rofl:

2 Likes

G’day, Mike.

On that note, I took Joanna’s excellent starting point and used the HSL tool to emphasise the green in the water - by increasing Saturation and decreasing Luminance - with (what I thought was) a pleasing result.

Regards, John M

1 Like

I just tried that. I would definitely agree that it makes an improvement :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s a really salient point! For various reasons I’ve barely touched my camera since PL4 came out so haven’t really had the chance to play other than revisiting old stuff, but the benefit of that is picking up on stuff like this.

1 Like

G’day, John
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, my MacBook Pro as had to go in for battery maintenance :roll_eyes:, so I won’t be able to try it out for a few days but I’ll look forward to doing so :+1:
Cheers, Mike