Switching to next photo in editing mode very slowly!

Hi is there any progress on this?

Tired of waiting forever to switch between photos when doing a cursory review after a shoot. This is a deal breaker to considering future upgrades

If you value your time and/or your sanity, don’t use Photolab for evaluation or culling. FastRawViewer or Apollo will allow you to quickly and efficiently create XMP ratings for all your photos before opening up the folder in Photolab. At that point, I recommend you immediately filter for 5 star images and only switch images to edit. Using Photolab as a viewer is a thankless task which brings even the beefiest computers to their knees with large modern files (24MP+, let alone 50MP).

PS. Curiously 5DS R 50MP files are much slower to open and process changes in Photolab than Nikon D850 45MP files).

2 Likes

I don’t think DxO realize how serious the PhotoLab performance problem really is… I love the capabilities of PhotoLab, but even on a high spec’ed machine its performance is quite literally abysmal, not just with switching photos, pretty much anything editing wise is at best sluggish, and more often that not painfully slow.

This quite literally was the reason that I continued to use Lightroom for so many years. However eventually the superior raw processing tipped the scales, but the speed is a constant frustration.

As per posts in the thread above, its kind of ludicrous that PhotoLabs performance is still so bad, it is relatively simple to intelligently cache rendered images… and that’s pretty much all that’s required.

There is not much you can do to work round the deficiencies in editing speed, but for culling or comparing photos I used the free FastStone Image Viewer. Its stunningly fast…

1 Like

That uses jpeg in the raw file not converting the raw file as pl does

I use FastStone myself and as @John7 points out its is only fast when it is displaying the internal jpeg. If you change the settings to display the raw file full size it is actually much slower than PhotoLab. However, FastRaw Viewer does display the actual raw file and it is very fast.

Mark

1 Like

Interesting, your right, I had never noticed that, thanks for pointing that out.

That said though, the quality of the internal jpeg is more than adequate for my culling needs as I am mostly interested in culling obviously out of focus or badly composed images. For the subtler aspects of culling photos I tend to “see what PhotoLab can do with them” before I make a decision.

3 Likes

Just an addition: Lightroom can be set to use built-in jpegs in catalog view. This makes culling much snappier. Previews can then be built for the image files that are left.

1 Like

I generally agree, although sometimes it is useful when comparing files to see what the actual unedited raws look like. They usually are very different then the internal Jpegs.

Mark

I have bought Photolab 5 and I have the same problem when switching from Fuji RAF image to another (about 3 seconds). Compared to CaptureOne which is much faster it is frustrating. I have a Windows 10 PC, a Nvidia GTX 1650 graphics card, an Intel Core i5 6600 processor and 16 GB of memory. Is there a parameter to tune in Photolab 5 ? Do I have to upgrade my PC ?

Regards

This may be due to the raw file being demosaiced before being displayed. Also remember that xtrans support is still in beta and I am sure DxO will improve performance in future updates.

Philippe - Is it possible that Capture 1 is simply displaying the jpg embedded within the RAW file - rather than actually rendering the RAW file (which is what PL is doing) ?

John M

1 Like

I have tried again on my PC with CaptureOne and Photolab by modifying some Fuji RAF images in Customize mode.

• With CaptureOne everything is fluid when I modify RAF images and switch between them. I think the treatment is done on RAW not on the jpg embedded because the modifications are correctly applied but perhaps it keeps a jpg image in cache.
  • With Photolab the first time I click on RAF images the display is fast but if I modify them the time to switch becomes slow. Perhaps because Photolab calculates each time the changes applied. Is the algorithm that calculates the images managed by CPU, GPU and multi-threaded, cached?

I hope it will improve because I prefer Photolab and that’s why I switched to version 5 with RAF images support.

Philippe

Yes, that is the case, Philippe.

John

The new release 5.0.1 is faster to display RAF images when switching. Great job !

3 Likes