Switch off sharpening

Hi Mark, I see that it is the worst of bug reports if you cannot reproduce :slight_smile:
I am quite sure, that the RW2 is right from the card and that I did nothing “wrong”.
However, you have a point:
I was running DxO inside a Win10 virtualbox on Linux machine. This VM has 16GB Ram and 4 CPUs and seems to be not particularly slow (~1 min per image with Deep Prime). As my PC just has the Intel integrated graphics, there is no GPU power to speak of. The native CPU is from the skylake family.
As AI algorithms are not really transparent, it might be that it performs differently (not only in speed, but in results) on different hardware. Just a guess.
For me it was an interesting experiment and I learned quite a bit on the side (looking somewhat deeper into my own raw-dev process in Darktable). So my pictures will come out a bit better in the future. Even without using DxO.
Thanks for the patience.
Cheers & Bye, Andreas

To make the ‘problem’ really visible ( → post #8 ), I had to enlarge this tiny detail to 400%.

Apart from applying any software, don’t overestimate your cam’s resolution. :slight_smile:

Hi Andreas,

I wasn’t implying that you were doing something wrong, just that something is different between your system and my system. :smiley:

I can clearly see the aberrations that you cite in your screenshots, so they are real and are caused by something. I just don’t know what is causing them. Maybe @Wolfgang has a point about camera resolution, but I’m not seeing it in my test. By the way, my test screenshot is also at 400% with the global lens sharpening in PR2 set to the ON position which is equivalent to 1.00 on the global sharpness in PL5. If it looks smaller to you, then click twice on my screenshot to see it at full resolution.

Anyway I’m glad that you are getting good results with Darktable, but please stick around, maybe someone else will be able to reproduce your results and shed more light on the problem. Don’t give up!

Best regards,
Mark

Hello @Andreas_S ,

I’ve looked at your file and it seems our sharpening is a bit strong.
We will modify the optic module soon to fix it.
I’ll tell you when it’s ready.

Regards,
Marie

Q: Is this a smart move to modify one module if the request is fairly general?
A: Yes, if the module has an unreasonably high (plain text: wrong) sharpness correction.
A: No, because it does not allow to reduce sharpness in all other cases.

@Marie I have tried reworking @Andreas_S file in PureRAW and in Photolab 5. Here are the results: Leftmost is original RW2 file, center is PL5 DNG and rightmost is PR2 DNG, the latter two with Deep Prime NR applied and exported, as viewed in Faststone IV 7.5 at 700% magnification.

I can clearly see the halo Andreas describes in the PL5 version. For the PL5 version I reduced Global sharpness to -0.50 and the PR2 version is with GS set to on, which I believe is equivalent to GS at 1.00 in PL5.

The PL5 version is clearly sharper than the PR2 version even with GS set to -.50 in PL5 and on in PR2. Andreas’s work was in PR2 and the halo is clearly visible whereas my PR2 version shows no such halo. All corrections in my PL5 version(other than GS) were identical to the corrections made in PR2 and no other corrections were made. What is the problem here?

1 Like

I think we have to treat Pr and PL as separate entities, even if one seems to be a subset of the other.

1 Like

Yes, probably so but he’s using PR and getting the halo that my PR doesn’t have. Only when I switch to PL do I see the halo.

And what for users who don’t have PR but have PL and need to export to other application when needed to do things photolab can’t do ?
This halo in PL export rrblint shows is problematic.

In PhotoLab, we can tune sharpening with the respective sliders.
In DPR, it’s either on or off. Either/Or is always a bad choice, lots of grey between black and white!

Hi Mark, I would call this progress :slight_smile:
As others have noted, my image in itself is not overly sharp. It was shot with a diminuitive GM5 and all details shown here are magnified a lot.
The halos are (for me at least) only a side aspect - albeit a significant one. But observe the colour change in the spectacle frame: the oversharpening (middle version) darkens the whole frame. The right hand version pleases me. At normal size it would certainly be sharp enough.
So, now the 100000$-question is, how to get this kind of result out of DxO PureRaw2 (on my setup).
I fear, that my current test version will run out first before there is a fix. But I’ll be happy to test again.
Andreas

1 Like

@platypus ,

I looked to image with and without correction of lens sharpness (with standard correction, not boosted one) and correction looks stronger to what we do usually that’s why I say we will reork the module but the analysis we will do will be wider than that.

@rrblint ,

I did a comparison between PR2 and PL5 and I got identical correction of lens sharpness.
Test is to do export in DeepPrime with Lens sharpness by default in PhotoLab and with “Global lens sharpening” Off in PureRAW.

regards,
Marie

3 Likes

We are talking about a specific image, which had to be enlarged a lot to make the ‘problem’ visible.

Mark @rrblint noted for his comparison
Switch off sharpening - #17 by rrblint
For the PL5 version I reduced Global sharpness to -0.50

@JoPoV, check my 2nd screenshot
Switch off sharpening - #8 by Wolfgang
different settings needed here to suppress chromatic aberration and halo.

PhotoLab can do – even when looking at a tiny detail, enlarged to 400% !!

1 Like

Hi @Marie @platypus @Wolfgang @Andreas_S ,

I have Tried one more variation in PL5: Lens Sharpness completely deactivated and the result is IDENTICAL to the PR2 version with GS on(=1.00 on PL5).

Upper left is the original RW2; Upper right is PL5 Deep Prime with GS =-0.50; Lower left is PL5 with Deep Prime and LS deactivated and lower right is the PR2 version with Deep Prime and GS on. All viewed in FSIV 7.5 at 700%.

I’m beginning to think that my copy of PR2 somehow has LS deactivated. I’m going to try uninstalling, redownloading and reinstalling my version of PR2. Please stand by…

Nope, after uninstalling, redownloading and reinstalling PR2, there is no difference between the old and new versions of the export from PR2. I’m not sure what to think as @Andreas_S PR2 version clearly shows the halos and darkening of the glasses(as well as extra sharpening) that my PR2 version does not show. Only my PL5 version with LS on shows these artifacts and extra sharpening. :man_shrugging:

When doing some post process to acheive some styles, or doing some precise custom sharpening (not in photolab), those “small” problems can become very problematic.

Hi Mark,
this discussion gives me an idea: do the different DxO tools use common libraries? At least it seems so… The difference between my install and yours might be, that on my virtual machine there was not a trace of DxO before I tried it out. On your machines might be different versions and tools from older or other installations.
So why don’t you try out DxO PR2 on a virgin machine (a virtualbox will do)? Maybe then this effect will become reproducible? Just a guess.
Best regards, Andreas

Hi Andreas,

This is a very good idea and it certainly is possible, but I don’t think so. I’m not an IT expert by any means, but each separate DXO program seems to be contained in it’s own environment, spread out between various folders( App Data, Program Files, Program Data, etc.). Some of the data(Presets, Workspaces, Database, Modules, etc.) do migrate from version to version(PL3, PL4, PL5, etc.), but not between different apps(PL5, PR2, VP3, FP6, etc.). Also, after migration is complete, I always uninstall the previous version completely using Revo Uninstaller so nothing is leftover on my PC from previous versions.

I may try something like this if I can’t resolve the issue otherwise. I will continue testing.

Hello @Andreas_S ,

we will release an update of module used for your image at the beginning of May, it will reduce lens sharpness which is too strong for now.

Regards,
Marie

1 Like

Hi Marie,
nice to hear. I hope, I can get a free re-trial. I guess my 30 days will be over by then.
Best regards, Andreas