Supported GPUs

“Not so bad” is a relative term. The Intel UHD Graphics 620 is a low level performing graphics solution that does not even have its own memory and uses your system’s memory instead. DxO is not supporting it because it is simply not powerful enough for DeepPRIME or DeepPRIME XD processing. It is not about intel vs Nvidia.

There are many lower performing Nvidia cards that are also not supported for use with DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD processing. In addition, many, if not most, of those unsupported Nvidia graphics cards are still more powerful than your built in Intel chip. Don’t blame DxO because your hardware isn’t up to the task.

Mark

1 Like

I checked what is on the market right now … most notebooks still use 12th generation of Intel CPUs. So it might take another one and a half years until gen 14 will show up in the first notebooks. I’m not sure if I want to wait such a long time.

Is it the ai accelerator ? I believe its nothing but the GPU (seeing how well it performans on other systems without ai acceleration but just a bit of gpu power ).
The m1/m2 chips have a descent bit of gpu power as well .

A 13/14" windows laptop with a low power rtx3050 will give you 5 second deepprime and around 25 seconds of DeepPrimeXD .

Not saying it’s dor everyone , and not trying to say one brand or os is better. Just pointing it out that it doesn’t require a lot of high power to get quick .

But it may require something modern . And it needs a dedicated gpu. Can be a slow entry level gpu … As long as it’s a dedicated gpu . At least that’s my ‘rule’.

If i search for laptops with a rtx3050 , at most 14" and 1.6kg or less there are quite some options . But everyone has different needs , requirements or opinions about quality .

At the moment cheaper solution for a powerful GPU on a notebook is a gaming laptop, it’s true most of them are 15" or 16" but there a a few 17" (I have one of them) or 14", for example Lenovo (Slim 7 ProX) or Asus (VivoBook or Zephyrus)

1 Like

Many thanks for the recommendation, I’ve taken a look at it and it does tick a sufficient number of boxes for me to be absolutely viable (I’d prefer something that was lighter still, but currently that doesn’t seem to be an option).

The HP Pavilion Plus 14 has also now shown up as a condender too after I searched for reviews about the Lenovo. Hooray!

It would seem the ASUS Vivobook is not available in my region in a required spec (I wonder if it is about to have a refresh), and the Zephyrus is on the heavy side (for me).

I’d looked at these manufacturers previously, but it would seem I’d applied the wrong combination of filters for these machines to show as results. I do feel they (and Dell for that matter) could learn a lot from how easy it is to search and compare products on the Apple website to theirs!

Thanks again, greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is the AI processor. It is a different processing part of the M1/M2 series of processors developed by Apple. The Apple NPU can be utilised for AI tasks, as well as graphics tasks (and other tasks presumably).

On a M1 Mac with Photolab you can choose to use the CPU only, GPU, or NPU for exporting DeepPrime images. On my M1 Mac Mini, using the NPU is faster than using the GPU (which is faster than the CPU).

I think on the M1 Ultra machines, which have siginificantly more GPU cores than on my computer, then using the GPU for DeepPrime export is faster than using the NPU.

Some links I found:

https://www.engadget.com/

https://www.utmel.com/blog/

https://medium.com/macoclock/

Ah nice. I didn’t know the npu was a real option to select. Since its gpu only on windows , i didn’t expect them to make a separate ai accelerated path, but they did. Kudo’s:).

1 Like

I tried several tests with Photolab 5 and 6 and always same issue it is not supporting RX580 with 4G and 8G.
Lot of issues with using denoising PRIME, DEEPPRIME, …
Only can using High Quality.

Costco has lenovo laptops with nvidia 30xx gpus on sale at phenomenal prices until Nov 13th. This machine is currently on sale for $1100 @Costco

https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/Legion/Legion_5_Pro_16IAH7?M=82S00003US

Well, I took your recommendations and went for it. I’ve just ordered a new 14" laptop. I decided I couldn’t wait another year for the Intel/Windows devices to perhaps have a neural processing unit as powerful as the Apple silicon one.

I got the Dell Inspiron 14 Plus, it arrives on Monday!

Used the trial to test, as i was getting a new gpu today.
My old 750ti did almost nothing to help, about 2:30minutes to process an image with deeprime xd on a ryzen 3700x.
Now, with a 3080 undervolted, it takes about 4 seconds per image. Incredible.

Hi there,
in the meantime I replaced my Laptop. Now I use an dedicated gaming Laptop with i7-Gen12, 32GM RAM and a GeForce RTX 3070. It’s a pleasure working with this new setup with PL6.
Export duration has significantly improved!
Best, Joerg

Gonzalo: the 750 is a PCI Express 3 card, the 3080 a PCI Express 4. Does your PC have a PCI-e 4 slot?
I am struggeling with the same problem and might buy a new GPU. But my PC has no PCI-e 4 slot. Do you know if this will slow down the processing considerably, or is the bus speed no bottleneck here?

somebody mentioned recently, that it works on PCI E 3 (what I didn’t know / questioned)
… with reduced speed, but I don’t find the post, which included a link to a technical advice

there it is GPU advice - #6 by Wolfgang and then further down :slight_smile:

Sorry, I don’t have enough knowledge on that as I normally use laptops and there I have no choice to upgrade singel components.

It doesn’t matter. The bandwidth used by DxO to process images with the gpu is minimal, the difference between pci-e 4 and pci-3 is negligible (even with a 1x pci-e 3 card!)

Thanks, Gonzalo and Wolfgang, for your responses!

I bought a used RTX 2070, and compared to the 750 the process time for a 25 MP image and DP-XD dropped with about a factor 8. Satisfied :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good it worked!