Supported Camera Body w/o supported lens raw file processing limitations

If a supported camera body (e.g. Canon EOS RP) is used with a lens that is not supported (e.g. the cheaper kit zoom Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM), what raw file processing features of Photolab Elite (with FilmPack) are still available?

I would assume at least these raw processing features are retained, as they depend on the specific measured behaviour of the camera sensor: 1) camera body/sensor colorimetric rendering/corrections, 2) camera body/sensor micro-contrast settings, 3) Prime noise reduction, 4) ClearView, as well as the local adjustment versions of these features.

Anything associated with a lens module would not be available except in a limited manual form: 1) optical geometric distortion corrections, 2) optical aberration corrections, and so on.

Can anyone add to this, or correct it?

Hello @mjdl,

Yes, you statement is correct. Some additions - for Vignetting only manual mode will be available and Lens Sharpness won’t be available at all.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Is the Canon RP and cheap RF 24-105mm IS STM combination on the DxO optical module map? The sample JPEG/CR3 images I’ve found on the 'Net show quite good quality/price ratio for this bundled kit lens. Maybe professional photographers might deign to use it…

Good morning,

Let me ask @Marie to help with this question.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello @mjdl,

Support of Canon RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM is planned for mid / end of October.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay in reply.

When I search for “rf 24-105” in the supported lens listing, I find only the more professional (and expensive) “RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM” listed for an upcoming lens module release (with the R5/6 camera body) in October.

Is this just an oversight in listing the module for the cheaper lens, or is the “L” quality zoom lens truly the only one being calibrated?

A good summary of the merits and trade-offs of the cheaper lens is at https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-RF-24-105mm-F4-7.1-IS-STM-Lens.aspx

OK, I upgraded to Photolab 4, and there are no ambiguities in the support of these 2 24-105mm zooms any longer: each has its own profile (Photolab 3 could apply the “L” lens profile to the cheaper one).

The UI and other changes really do make this a far better step than Photolab 2 to 3, which tended to make us all grumpy. Bravo DxO!

1 Like