Support for the new iPhones

The latest FastRawViewer beta supports HEIC! I am overjoyed and have quickly switched to that tool for my DAM culling solution.

1 Like

Strangely, but it could be so great if someone’s from DxO could say something explicitly clear on this topic.
May be DxO users still merit it such a pricey attention. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the helpful update. I only have the 12Mini so trying the ProCamera and Halide apps to see if I can shoot in RAW. Unfortunately, neither DXO PL 1.2.3 nor PL 4.0.2 allow me to even view DSG files showing the “unsupported image” error message.

Will DXO ever provide the ability to edit these DSG files and if not, why?

Does anyone have any experience with ProCamera and Halide apps in shooting in low light w/ the aim of shooting at the lowest ISO and current max shutter speed of 1 second? When I tested Night Mode on the 12 Mini, it would only shoot at max 1/4 second @ f/1.6 @ ISO 500 delivering a 2.3MB JPG, whereas on the ProCamera App, on regular Photo Mode and LowLight mode, I was able to shoot at 1.0 second @ ISO 200 delivering a 7.3 MB JPG and 10.7 MB & 10.6 MB DNG, respectively. I assume that the largest DNG file shot at lowest ISO will give me the cleanest image. Does anyone have any advice on this and how I can edit these DNG files on DXO? Thank you!

1 Like

As many others have already requested, there is a clear need to enable Iphone DNG (and ProRaw in the future) processing in PL. It is understood, that PL may be inferior to standard processing within the iphone in some situations as low light. However, standard processing does not to pleasant results in many situations (over-sharpened, no correction of white balance).
As several successful third party apps show, the demand is out there to process Iphone picture files to ones personal preferences starting from raw/dng and even if these were only 1% of iphone users, these are numerous potential customers.
Now I have to test and learn to work with an additional program (I will probably choose between Lightroom mobile and rawtherapee).
If DxO stay with this strategy, I will not buy the PL4 upgrade and may completely switch to another software later on.

4 Likes

Just updated to Photolab 4 and same as many users I am quite disappointed to realize that neither HEIC format nor ProRaw from Apple are supported. I use the software for the pictures of my professional camera, however more and more I am taking more and more pictures with the IPhone. Especially since I have the IPhone 12. of course I only want to work with one software for reworking pics. I really like Photolab however without supporting IPhone formats I will surely not purchase it again.
Actually I don’t get it from the numerous threads: are there any short term plans to update Photolab accordingly?

3 Likes

Glad I sought this out before upgrading to Photolab 4. While most of my serious work is done with one of two digicams, I have over the last couple years realized most of my photos - and certainly most of the spontaneous/street ones, are with my iphone XS. And with that, more and more need to have editing of those reasonable quality photos covered with my PC software.

3 Likes

As of today, with the latest version of PL4…

I shoot in an iPhone XS with the ProCam 8 app. I transfer the DNGs to the Mac. PL4 views the thumbnails but will not open them for editing. Capture One 2021 does.

This is not good. I was thinking about PureRAW, but if PL4 doesn’t support DNGs from iPhones, then it is unlikely that PureRAW will.

Very disappointing. Guess I’ll look for good noise reduction elsewhere.

3 Likes

Add me to the list of the disappointed users. DXO PL works wonders for my iPhone 7 Plus photos, especially with Deep Prime. However, I don’t have an option to use a current phone. My daughter has a newer iPhone SE (the one that is the size of the iPhone 8), and DXO PL does not support DNG files taken with ProCamera.

3 Likes

Oh you forgot it then for version 5!!! NO EXTRA iPHONE SUPPORT YET! a bit a SHAME!
(ALL OTHER big photoprogs DO support them) why DXO not???

3 Likes

I need support for for the Apple ProRaw DNG file format too. I am very disappointed that this is not part of the new version 5 of PL. Can anybody tell me with which release this will be added ?

2 Likes

Sorry if you look at the posts above you will see for a very long time this has been asked for and hasn’t happened.

It is a strange decision to ignore mobile phone when taking into account that a large part of the market turned to cameras in mobile phones. I do not see that there is a distinct need for lens corrections in the first place but support of generic DNG files used by Apple and Android devices would open the product to a lot of people.

2 Likes

I and many others agree, it’s just DxO appear not to.

Purely anecdotally I would suggest the vast majority of people using phones as cameras would not be looking for something like PhotoLab when there exist many capable on-device choices to “tweak” the images and even then most users would do nothing at all with their photos except maybe add “effects” like furry noses or text. A lot of phone photographers don’t even have PCs.

In my case, I have a MILC that’s supported by DOP and an iPhone that isn’t. I’d like to use the same application for editing and exporting both.

1 Like

I believe DxO is simply to slow to stay up to date with Apples progress in fotography. Apples proRAW fotos are best developed with Apples Fotos app, preferred on Mac. Results are much better than with Capture One 21 pro. Since I replaced my iPhone 7 DxO is not able to open a DNG.
That is disapointing.

Of course I did read the posts above. There are lots of forum members complaining that there is no support of Apple ProRAW DNG files. But there is no information about when Apple ProRAW DNG files will be supported in future. There must be an agenda on DxO site where they define a concrete date or release for this. On the other hand they may confirm that they don’t plan to support these files. Either way, some clear information fro DxO will be appreciated.
Personally, I am unwilling to use different workflows for my DSLR and my iPhone.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, I only have jpg from my phone but I know many use RAW or DNG. I have always thought phone files should be supported as so many use either just a phone or as I do phone as well as camera. To refuse to support them must lose customers who don’t just use jpg from phones exactly because who wants to have to use two programs to deal with images taken on different devices, I wouldn’t.

1 Like

Yeah, probably you are right, but I think it would be possible to catch a lot of “enthusiasts” considering the amout of smartphones out there. If you drop the lens correction stuff you end up with generic DNG implementations and catch a lot of fishes.

1 Like

DXO come on… iPhone DNG must come. the iPhone 14pro has a great camera and every time with you.

2 Likes