Support for the new iPhones

Oh you forgot it then for version 5!!! NO EXTRA iPHONE SUPPORT YET! a bit a SHAME!
(ALL OTHER big photoprogs DO support them) why DXO not???

3 Likes

I need support for for the Apple ProRaw DNG file format too. I am very disappointed that this is not part of the new version 5 of PL. Can anybody tell me with which release this will be added ?

2 Likes

Sorry if you look at the posts above you will see for a very long time this has been asked for and hasn’t happened.

It is a strange decision to ignore mobile phone when taking into account that a large part of the market turned to cameras in mobile phones. I do not see that there is a distinct need for lens corrections in the first place but support of generic DNG files used by Apple and Android devices would open the product to a lot of people.

2 Likes

I and many others agree, it’s just DxO appear not to.

Purely anecdotally I would suggest the vast majority of people using phones as cameras would not be looking for something like PhotoLab when there exist many capable on-device choices to “tweak” the images and even then most users would do nothing at all with their photos except maybe add “effects” like furry noses or text. A lot of phone photographers don’t even have PCs.

In my case, I have a MILC that’s supported by DOP and an iPhone that isn’t. I’d like to use the same application for editing and exporting both.

1 Like

I believe DxO is simply to slow to stay up to date with Apples progress in fotography. Apples proRAW fotos are best developed with Apples Fotos app, preferred on Mac. Results are much better than with Capture One 21 pro. Since I replaced my iPhone 7 DxO is not able to open a DNG.
That is disapointing.

Of course I did read the posts above. There are lots of forum members complaining that there is no support of Apple ProRAW DNG files. But there is no information about when Apple ProRAW DNG files will be supported in future. There must be an agenda on DxO site where they define a concrete date or release for this. On the other hand they may confirm that they don’t plan to support these files. Either way, some clear information fro DxO will be appreciated.
Personally, I am unwilling to use different workflows for my DSLR and my iPhone.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, I only have jpg from my phone but I know many use RAW or DNG. I have always thought phone files should be supported as so many use either just a phone or as I do phone as well as camera. To refuse to support them must lose customers who don’t just use jpg from phones exactly because who wants to have to use two programs to deal with images taken on different devices, I wouldn’t.

1 Like

Yeah, probably you are right, but I think it would be possible to catch a lot of “enthusiasts” considering the amout of smartphones out there. If you drop the lens correction stuff you end up with generic DNG implementations and catch a lot of fishes.

1 Like

DXO come on… iPhone DNG must come. the iPhone 14pro has a great camera and every time with you.

2 Likes

If DxO would support newer iPhones I would upgrade at once.

3 Likes

Simple DNG would get a lot of android on as well

1 Like

I was listening to a podcast recently that got me thinking about this. iPhone “ProRAW” files are not actual RAW files.

They are not just sensor dumps like every DSLR and MLS camera produces. According to the host of the podcast, the data is the full available bit-depth but already has all of the “special” Apple processing applied. I doubt we will ever get a sensor dump because there are three sensors on the back of the (Pro) phones and many shots are synthesised from more than one sensor’s view.

Furthermore, the files (which are actually DNG 1.6 compatible files) also contain a lot of other data including depth maps.

It would actually be more straightforward, I think, to include the “generic DNG” support that is being asked for elsewhere. As long as that supports DNG 1.6. Even then, I expect PhotoLab would simply ignore most of the extra data and only handle the increased bit depth main image. This would not be hugely different to reading DxO’s own Linear DNG files. (I would assume the ProRAW files must be Linear DNGs in the main.)

1 Like

I am an iphone user myself and reading here and on other sites what “Apple Raw”, “ProRaw” etc… actually is, it would make much more sense for all iphone users to actually ask Apple to provide a true raw file.

1 Like

That’s my point. You’d have to have all three sensors dumped and then you’d be on your own as to picking which to use. I cannot see that ever happening.

Mentioned elsewhere, but you could hack your iPhone 11 raws (likely work for any other camera/phone) simply by changing the “model” attribute of your raws’ EXIF to “iPhone X” or other supported devices. On Windows, this can be done with exiftool which is free.

I successfully hacked some iPhone 11 raws from Lightroom app, and at least I can apply DeepPrime XD on the photos. Lens sharpness and other features work as well, but they are probably not fine tuned for phones other than iPhone X or older.

Doesn’t work after the iPhone 11 and even there there’s some bugs. I’m the original poster of compatibility notes and comparative RAW tests with iPhone 11 DNG where PhotoLab 5 clearly won.

High time that DxO fixed this lacuna. Not supporting iPhone (and Android) DNG is one of the largest negative emotion generators among paying customers.

8 Likes
  1. When Apple RAW?
4 Likes