Support for Sony FE 400mm F2.8 GM lens

I purchased DxO Pureraw for use on photos primarily taken with a Sony A1 & Sony FE 400mm F2.8 GM lens, only to discover that there is no module available for that lens. That is one of Sony’s flagship lenses - what’s up? Lack of support for this lens make Pureraw pretty much useless to me.

Hi, Nagi. You can go here to see what cameras and lenses are supported, when support is planned for some of these not yet supported, and to submit requests for anything not yet listed:

DxO Supported Cameras & Lenses

I hope that helps. It’s too bad you only discovered this after making your purchase.

Some lenses rely on lens correction, more than on their optical formula. I sincerely doubt your 400/2.8 is one of them. In general, long telephotos don’t need much of correction, long primes even less so and fast, modern long primes as yours - come on, their manufacturers already know how much money customers will pay for an f/2.8, so the price is no limitation in design.

A RAW converter without lens-correction is useless to you? Because of that? I wonder what we did all these years without lens profiles…

Do you use PureRAW? Its whole purpose is dependent on camera and lens profiles.

1 Like

A 150 $ software to " Enhance your RAW files to open up even more possibilities with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom®" is relying on camera and lens profiles, but telling that nowhere on the advertisement page? Really? And then saving all manipulations into a massive DNG file? Can someone tell me what is RAW and what is additionally added ingredients? And what is “Pure” in this concept?

And what about the trial period to find out?

Sorry, @Egregius, but I prefer a RAW converter which is able to read manufacturer profiles of lenses out of the RAW. This “extra software” business model for extra RAW preparation, extra perspective correction, extra colour profiles, and still not being able to perform minimal DAM features – to me it actually feels disgusting although I believe DxO somehow need to create income and benefit.

I’m new to PureRAW so have no idea what all capabilities are included with the “OpticsModules”. If it’s just lens correction, and there is no dependency on knowing the camera body for the noise cleanup functionality, then maybe it isn’t as critical to my use of the software as I thought.

I admit I don’t know much about PureRaw and was just reading a bit on it’s advertisement page. But the existence of something like an extra module to bring the benefits of DxO into LR makes me wonder how long it will take until DxO sells all the good stuff to Adobe? Okay, that was not your question, Nagi.

I still think your Sony lens is so well corrected that an additional lens profile would not improve much. First, long tele lenses don’t show a lot of distortion in general and second, in particular a 400/2.8 GM is a costly device. A buyer can expect it to be very close to perfection.

Hello,

the Sony FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS is finally in our Lab.
So we are starting support of

• Sony FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS
  • Sony FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS with SEL TC1.4x
  • Sony FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS with SEL TC2x

Modules will be released at the end of July.

Regards,
Marie

1 Like