Support for Samsung GX-10 (Pentax K10D twin) RAW

I realize that you receive a lot of requests to add modules for lens and camera combinations and you prioritize additions based on popularity. My request is a bit different though. I am a happy user of Photolab processing pictures from my Pentax K-70 and older K20D. However, recently I wanted go through a some older pictures taken with Samsung GX-10 DSLR camera, only to see that the RAW format from that camera is not supported.

I realize that you can not support every single camera and keep up with the development in the field. However, Samsung GX-10 is a twin of Pentax K10D, which is supported in DxO Photolab, using both DNG and PEF format. The Samsung is able to produce only DNG files, which should be pretty much the same as the ones from Pentax.

DXO Photolab also supports the slightly newer twins Pentax K20D and Samsung GX-20, so you can already quickly check what are the differences between the DNG files from the same Pentax and Samsung cameras.

I have obviously tried submitting the request for a module and also a support request, but these follow a defined process, so I have of course learned nothing new.

Could you please check the differences between supported Pentax and Samsung cameras? My guess is there shouldn’t be much difference and that would mean that adding the support for GX-10 should be a tiny item.

Hello @maui-eu,

Welcome to DxO forum :slight_smile:

From time to time, when we can, we add support for some old cameras. I’ll have a look to the GX10, if it is really a twin of the K10D we should be able to support it somewhere in 2021.
Note: we will if we can find RAW images for tests, but I might get back to you for that.

Regards,
Marie

Thank you @Marie, I really appreciate it! Of course, if I can help in any way, please let me know!

Hi Marie, I’ve just read and discovered that for adding a new camera support, it’s just as simple to send you a raw file ? Could you please explain us what you are expected exactly from us (wich parameters, light conditions, etc…)
It would be nice to make a dedicated page for this, we are a lot here asking for supporting our cameras and PL4 is still not offering what do other competitors and it’s a pitty for this strong raw processor software. It’s surely a lot of work but it’s worth it to give it its rightful place.

For sure regarding this thread, I created a list for wishing support of unsupported raw here Wish list to support old raw files by DXO #photo archive matter and don’t forget to vote by clicking on the button “Vote” below the title.

Hello @Marie, I wanted to check if there is any news or any plans to add the support for the GX-10. As mentioned above, it is a twin of the Pentax K10D which Photolab supports fully. It should be the same sensor and the same processor. The DNG files should differ marginally. Please let me know if any help is needed.

I’m looking for this as well and submitted a support request but really the GX10 is so old that it probably isn’t worth DxO spending staff time on.
Using exiftool to change the exif Make and Model tags to “PENTAX Corporation” and “PENTAX K10D” gets the files accepted by Photolab as a K10D but changing the lens descriptions so that the Samsung badged lenses are recognized as their Pentax equivalents isn’t so easy, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve submitted a support request just to clarify what information is used by Photolab to identify the lens.

Just discovered that changing just the Model tag to “Samsung GX20” makes everything work including identifying the Samsung/Schneider branded lenses as the Pentax versions. Results look pretty good even though it’s not the correct camera module for the sensor.

But, of course, gets the sensor size wrong. I really shouldn’t be a big ask just to have the Pentax K10D modules selected for the Samsung GX10 body at least for raw files as they are exactly the same camera.
It’s not like anyone is going to use a GX10 for serious work now but some of us have old images that we would like to be able to process in PL rather than in something else.
@Marie Any chance of this happening?

Finally success! Changing the Model and UniqueCameraModel exif tags to “PENTAX K10D” with exiftool and then running the files through the Adobe DNG converter produces dng files that PL processes correctly. There aren’t optics modules for the old A-Type lenses but in my case those are full frame primes so geometry isn’t going to be an issue.

Final solution at least for raw files. Work on a copy of your raw files until satisfied that everything is working. For the kit lenses replace with the equivalent Pentax lens:
exiftool -overwrite_original -lenstype=“smc PENTAX-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED” -if “$LensType eq ‘Samsung/Schneider D-XENON 50-200mm F4-5.6’” *.DNG
exiftool -overwrite_original -lenstype=“smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL” -if “$LensType eq ‘Samsung/Schneider D-XENON 18-55mm F3.5-5.6’” *.DNG
Change the UniqueCameraModel tag:
exiftool -overwrite_original -uniquecameramodel=“PENTAX K10D” *.DNG
PhotoLab can’t find the lens info in these modified raw files.
Use Adobe DNG converter to make fresh corrected copies of these.
PhotoLab then accepts and processes the resulting DNG files as being from a K10D with the kit lenses.
There will be an ambiguity as to the PENTAX-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED being the base or weather sealed version, choose the base version.

Something similar should work for JPEG but I haven’t found anything to clean up the edited JPEGs so that PhotoLab will accept them and find the lens information.
Not a production solution but lets me use the better processing in PhotoLab on some old images that can’t be reshot with a supported camera.

1 Like