Summary of things i think i would like to see implemented in V3.x

Hi all,
not that i am not satisfied with the improvements but reaching a line always put your eye forward to the next so running through the palettes/tools i can see some fine tuning. It’s not bashing or such it’s just what i like to see changed in order to make a “perfect” rawprocessor in my eyes. (can be different for others)

1- Whitebalance nearly finished: we have some presets and a colorpicker who is working for white to x% grey’s which is great if there is a “white” part or "grey"part working as a colorcheckerboard. If this isn’t the case well you screwed and have to go manual. ( the colorpicker is assuming that it is a certain value of RGB (resulting a tint of grey) where you point the dropper.)
I would like a setting which is using the image to determine the WB. I talked about this earlier: Auto Absolute White Balance is looking for a common spread color RGB value among the pixels of the image assuming that that color is the “colorcast” and makes the WB adjustment so that this color becomes “white/grey”. i assume it has certain lookup tables to predict/calculate the new WB.
2 exposure compensation:
ETTR and ETTL are old but stil working exposure rules and i would be happy if the Exposure compensation tool would have two extra pickers: Blackpoint and Whitepoint who are basicly pull the picked area to “black” or “white” depending on which picker you use not changing the exposure profile but shifting the image as a hole. Totaly different from a “auto centerweighted” (edit: this is just shifting exposure to aim for "not pure black and or not pure white and most of the image data inside and centreweighted balance(i simplified it of coarse.) or the Smartlighting stretching correction.(Which is used to lift and lower to push or pull exposure of selected parts)
3 Contrast/Tonecurve connection much more difficult to implement so maybe we can have a workaround like in tonecurve some presets, highkey lowkey, low contrast, medium contrast , high contrast which sets the “curveline” ánd shifts the sliders to that point in contrast palette accordingly.
a sub line could be also a way of showing the influence of contrastsliders or place the curveline of summed up contrast values inside the Histogram as a overview across the histogram values.If do so please make the window in float modes size adjustable for more detailed work.
4 HSL, well the only thing i really mis right now is a colorpicker to choose a “hue-selection”. No you use Desaturation, turn the selectionpart around and wait until the part you want to adjust got “grey” and then finetune by the pins to isolate that part as good as possible before you can adjust. A colorpicker would home in immediately to that point so you can fine tune in one go.
Which would be great is a local version of the HSL due use of a Mask but i don’t know how difficult that becomes to implement.
5 Auto mask
i learned from video of PhotoJoseph that the first color(pixelgroup) you hit with the brush is selected. which is good to know so you can paint across window styles and or branches when sky is selected. Great but i really be annoyed by the fact that there isn’t a “autoselection cleanup” this is extra visible when you “invert”. Explain: the brush is a centre part which is the brushselection and a area around that who’s scanning for the same “color” to add that to your painted area helping you to select all of a object/area. top for so far. But when you stop brushing the “autoselection part” remains visible as the blue masking area so you can’t see what’s actually selected. i have a workaround again with desaturation or “blur” to see the actual area of influence but hence just stop showing the autoscan area as “blue” after the brush is past that area and only show the “blue” of the mask. (i explain somewhere else this workaround using ALT for eraser wile brushing.)
6 finally: a Full rendered preview on command.
as many i know Chromatic Aberration, contrast/microcontrast/ clearview/ sharpening need to be looked at at 75% or higher to see the influence or state but i would like a real preview on command, so it doesn’t influence the normal proccessingspeed to much. Now i just hit export to disk and preview that to finalize finetuning because i would see the hole image first before i zoom in to 25-45-55-66-75-100-200-… for better look on details. By the steadily growning screens zooming is less needed to see details in a image and a rendering jump at 75% to real IQ is then to deep zoomed in for most quick looks.
This is a crop from “fullscreen preview” at full image
CA%20example
This is a zoomed in to eliminate CA on the pole.

around 75% i think so the fullscreen isn’t a full render to speed up changing images i think.
i have a solution:
in photolibrary mode: we have the same button: convert this one to a “embedded jpeg” viewer for quick culling and rating and tagging. when i need to look closer i can switch to “customise mode”
And use the full rendered preview mode button “fullscreen” (same icon) slower because it implements optic module, your “preset” and some other things on that image before it’s plops in to ready but then i don’t care i want to investigate that image so ill wait. ((use HQ denoise for speed up process of coarse not PRIME.)

This way i have speed and quick respons in photolibrarymode but no real quality preview in fullscreen mode. (rest of preview above filmstrip can be remain the same or not.) and a possibility to watch a preview with applied CA correction and microcontrast and denoiseHQ and such in all zoomlevels i like from full image to 400%. slower in changing image or modes but that’s ok, when i am looking i have more time then just culling crolling through a bunch of images.

There are officiously more things but add them if you like.
voting isn’t possible because its a group of features but we can like and or comment so the Staff can take conclusions about things we offer.
some things are maybe in backlog or allready in active programming for implementing but hence keep it in the light so it grows. :sunglasses:

Thanks a lot for that @OXiDant .
It’s awesome, precise and useful.
Some of the tracks you’ve mentionned are already work in progress, or next to come, so it confort us in our choices and directions.
Others are great suggestions and we’ll take all that into account for discussion as improvements or evolutions. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thought of an other one:
We spoke about a possible mode that in Essential tools palette is working as “one tool open” LR has a modes which works like this someone wrote here don’t know name of the mode.

If i click on header of palette is collapse and if i click again it opens in previous setting.

Why not change this click behaviour cycle in :

If i want to "collapse"completely i choose menu button and choose “collapse”

Why? i like to start "clean and with closed toolboxes on a new image)
Well sometimes you open alot of toolboxes and the scroll feaver starts to overshadows the need. So a simple click on the header will compres but with still a overview of the active (and thus adjusted) toolboxes. After the compresion i can see the tool i need and open this again.
At this moment i need to or collapse, which causes to lose oversight of used toolboxes. Or manually click on opened toolboxes triangle to close box.

click: close like image above and second click open all boxes as previous.

Edit:
other “thing” i encountererd;
tool: red eye.
red%20eye
I added( virtual and a bit amateurish) a slider.
What purpose?
after eye detection it makes the pupil “greyisch blackisch” fine but sometimes it’s just “off”
too light or to dark or some “red” still in it.
maybe a slider to adjust the strongness of the anti red eye apply? ( replacing red colors for darker one’s)
if i can adjust the strongnes of applied correction i can adjust lightness by upoint and exposure/blacklevel
So a slider to fine tune the anti red is great!
See present “problem” video

4 Likes

Hi Peter,

The other approach is to simply click on your Workpace (from the Toolbar) - which resets all Palettes to their initial state.

DxO_WS
Regards, John M

2 Likes

Great never thought of that.
(now i need to re-edit my initial state of my workspace.)

Regards Peter

done
(firsttime i lost my changed workspace because i didn’t saved it as my own )
cut out more double tools:
new video
great workaround but still i like to have the palette behaviour changed. :slight_smile:

Another approach for DxO to consider changing the behavior so that:

1. Only the currently-working Palette is open
  2. Changing to another Palette closes the current one and opens the new one
  3. An indicator icon appears next to the Palette name for each tool Palette that has been used – perhaps a small yellow circle or square

In Lightroom it’s called the Solo Mode. I created a feature request a year ago and it got acknowledged by the team, but unfortunately it hasn’t been implemented in version 3.