Strategies for increasing the speed of PureRaw processing

I’ve got a HP Pavilion, running Windows 10. It’s got a fairly fast processor but, it uses the Intel processor-based GPU. Processing varies from 1 to 2 minutes per image. I would like to speed it up. Would running the program from a fast SSD help? I don’t have the option of getting a fast Graphics card, the Pavilion has no slots. .

Adobe’s competing AI based noise product is said to benefit greatly from running it on a SSD.
Thanks.

I don’t think the issue is writing but rather processing DeepPrime in PureRAW. I doubt an SSD drive would help much at all. If you do not have a supported graphics card GPU, all the processing is done by the CPU. That is the limiting factor on your machine.

I run all my programs from an SSD drive and running DeepPRIME in PhotoLab 4 Elite takes around 80 seconds using the CPU only, and around 23 seconds using my graphics card’s GPU. Perhaps others could give you more feedback based on their own experience.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I was afraid of that. But, it’s important to note, that I run Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and in every case I am not limited by not having a dedicated GPU. So, DxO is putting something on the market that almost requires one to have a GPU, and in my case it would require me buying another machine. That certainly won’t happen. So if I am to continue using PureRaw, I will have to focus on a culling strategy.

I believe your assumptions are incorrect. .

Topaz products also take advantage of the GPU to speed up processing. I have Denoise AI 3. Like PureRAW and PhotoLab, a supported GPU will process Topaz files significantly faster than with the CPU alone. The DeepPRIME AI algorithm requires a lot of processing. You can use it without a GPU, but it just takes longer.

PhotoShop also has features that take advantage of a graphics card’s GPU. I don’t know if these features are as processor intensive as DeepPRIME and Denoise AI. However, Adobe indicates that, “If your using an older graphics card or driver, GPU functionality in Photoshop may be limited or not supported”.

The attached link to the Adobe Photoshop GPU FAQ page also indicates which PhotoShop features require a GPU for acceleration and which features won’t work without a GPU!.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html#:~:text=Photoshop%20does%20not%20take%20advantage%20of%20multiple%20graphics%20cards

Mark

As already mentioned, the CPU/GPU is the primary constraint, but I have to ask what is your reason for wanting to speed up the processing?

I make do by leaving all my exporting to be done when I am not at the computer. That does pre-suppose I will be happy with the DeepPRIME results, but in general the in-app preview does a good enough job to tell me that.

That is a very good point, and I need to at least try it with one batch. The reason I have not considered that approach before now is simply driven by “instant gratification.” I was used to a work flow that brought my images into Lightroom where I would see them in a couple of minutes. I will try an overnight batch and see if that works for me. Thanks for your help.

AS you are using win 10, if you haven’t already done so, do Settings > Graphic Settings > Graphics performance preference > Browse to DxO location on your filesystem and in the drop down select High Performance - it may help.

Good suggestion, Steve - but you missed a step;

Navigate to Settings > System/Display > Graphic Settings > Graphics performance preference … then, like Steve says.

John M

1 Like

how much memory (RAM) do you have on your computer? Upgrading memory is an inexpensive (relatively speaking) way to increase performance. Since windows 10 is a 64 bit OS, add as much memory as youcan and that your motherboard and chipset will support. Max it out. As others have stated a dedicated graphics card would help, but sine that is not an option, i would look to increase RAM on your PC.

Hope this helps.
Garry

1 Like