Stop hijacking Ctrl-F

Hi Forum admins,

Ctrl-F is the key assigned to open “search in page” of my browser (Firefox).

I do not want this forum to open it’s own search function when I press Ctrl-F.

It doesn’t seem to do it with Google Chrome.

Mark

2 Likes

Hello,

I can’t reproduce your problem neither with FireFox (version 63), nor with Chrome or Edge.

Regards,
Nicolas

2 Likes

that’s interesting - it doesn’t happen everywhere.

Wow- Have i missed something? has the issue

The hijacking occurs for me as well in that thread but not in this one.
I’m on Mac and Safari

First time I press cmd-f the forums search is opened. But for the following times I press cmd-f the Safari native search appears.

great, works also for Firefox/Windows, thanks for the information!

I prefer the Firefox search. But if the forum operators like their function, I don’t want to argue with them.

Hello,

After a short investigation, I reproduced the behavior you saw and I can explain it.

When a topic is displayed in you browser, only some messages are loaded and the remaining ones are pulled on-the-fly, while you scroll down. It means that if you search for a specific word using you the basic search feature of your browser, you may not find it because this text is part of a message that is still not loaded.
The forum software (Discourse) is smart enough to detect that not all messages of a topic are loaded and hooks Ctrl+F (or CMD+F) shortcuts to use its own search feature so that your text is searched over all messages of the topic and not only the ones that are currently loaded.

Regards,
Nicolas

4 Likes

Thanks for the information.

I know that this is state of the art and “modern”, but I hate it.