Startup error on v5.5.27.605

When I started Filmpack v5 today, It reported a new version update availability. The offered install file downloaded ‘DxO_FilmPack_5.5.27_build605_Setup.exe’. After installation, the app is not usable anymore, because during startup it stop with the the error message:

Startup error
Reinstalling the previous DxO_FilmPack5.5.583_Setup.exe it is still working under Win7/64.

Please advice about the repair.

Endre

Hi Endre. I’m running FP5 elite 5.5.27 build 605 without any issues on Windows 10.0.2004. I wonder if your problem may be related to Windows 7. I know that PL3 no longer supports Windows 7. I’m not sure about FP5 or VP3.

1 Like

Hi Mark. These are the system requirement for FilmPack 5, They are similar to the system requirements for PL3.3. While PL3 may work on a Windows 7 machine its not supported, as you pointed out. It appears that the same is true for FilmPack 5. It’s possible, I suppose, that the latest FilmPack 5 update finally broke its ability to run on Win 7. Endre may have to stay with the previous version. Since DXO doesn’t support Win 7 anymore, I don’t know how much help he can expect to get from them to resolve this.

• Intel Core® 2 Duo, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or higher.
  • 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended)
  • 400 MB of available disk space
  • Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64-bit), Microsoft® Windows® 10 (64-bit)
  • 1024x768 or higher screen resolution

Mark

Thanks Mark for the confirmation. I didn’t think to lookup the system requirements for FP5, but since PL3 doesn’t support Win 7 I knew FP5 and VP3 couldn’t be far behind. I was thinking the same thing that probably the most recent update pushed it too far for Win 7 to keep up. We haven’t heard from Endre but I suspect that he will have to stay with the previous version unless he’s willing to upgrade to Win 10.

I really don’t understand the reluctance, even visceral loathing of upgrading to Win 10. :roll_eyes: I personally have found Win 10 to be FAR superior to Win 7 and a real joy to use.

1 Like

That’s been my my experience as well. I find Windows 10 to be superior to Windows 7 in numerous significant ways. I also don’t understand the reluctance in general, but some people don’t have a choice. Not every PC is updatable, and some are running important software that won’t run on Windows 10, which eliminates the ability to upgrade. Many folks are also just more comfortable with what they know.

Mark

The following resource confirms that the referenced procedure requires Windows 8.1 or later:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3ddxgi/d3d10-graphics-reference-dxgi-functions

1 Like

All very true, but as Greg points out above time moves on and all software evolve and support for previous versions is phased out. Heck I’ve still got some 5 1/4" floppy discs from the 80s. I haven’t tried but I suspect that I’d have a very hard time finding something that would read them. :rofl: So IMO it is unwise to cling to and rely on old familiar but outdated software, or hardware for that matter. At some point it will cease to perform for you.

1 Like

Thanks Greg for that info!

There are still a number of people happily using WordPerfect as their word processor and Lotus 123 as their spreadsheet on Windows XP., and probably printing on dot matrix printers. I knew someone on a photography site that was still posting via a dial-up modem only a few years ago. Not everyone wants or needs the latest technology…

Mark. .

Yes, I realize that what you’ve written is true. To me that seems sad but I guess if it still works for them then everything is okay. It won’t last forever though.

This forum is working overtime tonight, as it usually only sees activity on European AM times! :laughing:

Hi Guys,

Thanks your info. HOWEVER, I wouldn’t update to the latest Filmpack version, without Filmpack pop up window: here is the latest version, please update. It was a definitive request from DxO.
By the way I did open FP v5 from PS CS6 as a plugin only. Without update FP v5 it was working, because I intended to add frame to a layer image. After applied the effect, step out from PS -> update FP v5.5.27.605. For test only start FP, which was not functional. OK. I went to the latest PL v3.3 Windows 7 compatible app and the built in FP part was perfectly functional. It means for me, the PL embedded FP is independent from FP standalone and did not updated by the latest FP version.

The reason I did start my Win 7 version is simple. My Win 10 PC is in the service station, because its power supply went wrong. Win 7 is an emergency machine on my table, let me keep contact with the world.

Return to the original post, I think DxO have to change something in the FP warning system. Actually the message mislead the user.

Endre

1 Like

Endre,

I agree completely. If the update wasn’t compatible it should not have installed. The embedded FilmPack Palettes and added contrast sliders are built in to PhotoLab, and are completely separate from the stand alone version.

Mark

1 Like

Understood. I hope that you get your Win 10 machine back up and running soon! :grinning: