Spyder v X-rite

Makes sense. If I were a professional it would probably be a no brainer but as an amateur there’s always a calculation to be made in terms of cost, complexification of workflow, etc, versus enjoyment of the hobby. When I calibrate my monitor I can see the subtle yet perceptible difference in colours when the custom profile is applied. I’m trying to understand is whether a custom DCP profile offers enough advantage to be worthwhile for me personally.

Thanks for all your replies, I am glad DXO is somewhat compatible with the colour checkers. I am new to DXO and really want to master the colour aspect as I send my photos to print lab. I use the ICC colour profile, use the colour calibration to set my monitor so now I need to get my head around the work flow in DXO,

If you were to buy Xrite or Spyder which is your reccommedation? for use with DXO.

Thanks Brenden

What exactly do you want to know? X-Rite and Spyder are just names for a company and a device/solution respectively.

Do you want to

1. create monitor profiles = calibrate your monitor(s)
  2. create camera profiles = calibrate your camera(s)
  3. create printer and paper profiles
2 Likes
  1. I have been using Spyder to calibrate my monitor which has been great.
  2. I have never calibrated my camera and never created camera profiles.
  3. I use ICC colour profile supplied by my lab where I soft proof using the ICC colour profiles.

Where im needing help is with DXO is Spyder or Xrite any easier than the other to use the colour checker or are they both the same?

I am using an Xrite Display1 for monitor calibration as a device - very happy, easy to use. As software for calibration I am not using the Xrite software but “Display Cal” https://displaycal.net/

DxO PhotoLab

• can’t create profiles
  • can use profiles with the color rendering tool
  • can use profiles with the soft proofing tool
  • doesn’t care about how the profiles were created

I use the X-Rite Color Checker Passport and related software to create camera profiles.

I use the X-Rite i1 Display colorimeter and the DisplayCal software to create monitor profiles. I prefer DisplayCal over X-Rite’s own calibration software.

I used Datacolor Spyder colorimeters with related software and with DisplayCal many years ago, but decided to switch to X-Rite’s products. They seem to produce more detailed profiles - and came at lower price too.

1 Like

Another vote for X-Rite colorimeter hardware from me.

Ditto

I use the same colorimeter but with X-Rite’s own software and am happy with the results.

I also use the same colorimeter with its own software.

I personally found the DisplayCal software to be not as user friendly as the “native” products.

1 Like

Yes, DisplayCal is a bit “rough around the edges” but supports many different colorimeters. Datacolor’s monitor calibration software is easiest to use imo, but the number of colours used for calibration is fairly small compared to the other two tools.

As always, we can choose whatever compromise we like :wink:

Did you know about the “advanced” target, with 729 patches over 9 pages?

I’m just too tight to waste that much paper and ink :laughing:

1 Like

okay… more than one reference for printer calibration.

I only used Datacolor Spyder 3 (with Elite software version 3.x) for screen calibration, which used to come without variations.

for anybody interested → PhotoLab 4 with X-rite i1Display Studio display calibrator - #216 by Wolfgang

Also, if interested: X-rite ColorMunki Photo + ccStudio + ColorChecker Camera.