Specified default preset not being applied to RGB files

I have my default presets defined as follows;

This works fine for RAW files … but, for RGB files the “5 - No Correction” preset is assigned instead

Any ideas on what’s going on here ? image image

Regards, John M

PS. Hey, Mark; I found a use for the History tab :clown_face:

1 Like

I’ll turn you into a convert! :wink:
Mark

2 Likes

Hello John,

2 questions: 1 - (as far as I understand “No correction” was the one selected in the starting window (so called “Select a preset”)) so my question is if this folder was opened with PL before?
2 - are your RGB images outputs from PL?

P.S. Could you, please, double check if it’s really No correction applied (not paying attention to what is written in History)?

Thank you

Regards,
Svetlana G.

I’m not understanding this assumption, Svetlana; I did not manually apply a preset - I am depending on my Preferences setting to apply “JCM_RGBpreset” to new RGB images.

Yes - it’s my WIP/“Work-in-Progress” folder - in which I do all my PL processing (a batch of images at a time). Reminder: I’m using sidecar/.dop files and I delete the database each time before I invoke PL.

Yes - - And I think you’re on to something here - as I tested with a JPG image from a different source and it does apply “JCM_RGBpreset” to such images. Aha !! … Is it that PL is smart enough to know that it should not apply corrections to images that it has already processed ?

Yes, it’s definitely “No Correction” that has been applied … Not “JCM_RGBpreset”.

John M

Good morning :),

• Exactly, PL treats these images differently from the original RGBs and always apply ‘No correction’ to them (no matter what is selected in Preferences) . So the problem is solved :wink: ?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Well, I never knew that! :flushed: :blush:

On investigation, to avoid this behaviour, I found I could remove the ‘exif:software’ and ‘xmp:creatortool’ tags from the EXIF of the file, since they both, currently, contain “DxO PhotoLab 4.1.3”, which is presumably how PL distinguishes such files.

Yes - thank you, Svetlana. :+1:

Nor me (obviously) - but, there’s a minor downside: my “JCM_RGBpreset" sets-up the Crop tool such that it’s all-set-to-go, but the “No Correction” preset does not … and there’s no way to override it.

John

Well, there is - but it gets a bit messy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you are confident enough and don’t mind having to do it again whenever there’s an update, you can always “tinker” with the default preset.

1. Go to the dop file for an image to which you have applied the crop the you want.
  2. Open it with a plain text editor
  3. Look for the crop section - it should look like this…
  			CropActive = true,
  			CropAuto = false,
  			CropRatio = 0,
  			CropRect = {
  			},

… although the parameter values and numbers will be different

1. Then find the system “5 - No correction” preset file, make a backup copy of it and open the original in the same plain text editor
  2. You should find the same section and it should look something like this…
 CropActive = false,
 CropAuto = true,
 CropRatio = 0,
 CropRect = {
 },
  1. Simply change the parameter values in the preset to match those in the dop file and save.

Then delete any existing dop file from a PL-produced exported file (possibly the database as well) and try opening the image file in PL.

I tried all this and it works great… that is, it will until the next version update :wink:

You could also copy the same values to this preset and add it to your user presets…

Crop.preset (269 Octets)

1 Like

I have no problem with any of that, Joanna: I do “enhancements” like this for a number of the DxO-provided presets … but, for the Win version (perhaps it’s different for Mac ?) the “5 - No correction” preset does not exist in the Presets folder … That’s what I meant by “there’s no way to override it”.

image … It must be internally defined (?)

John