Silly question: which best ration size/quality for exported photos

Hi all, I did read all your points. And learned from you, many thanks for your time answering my silly question !

It’s just time to wish you all and your beloved, a happy, merry, and blessed Christmas :grinning:

2 Likes

I was just reading all this topic. Very informative. I have very similar problem. I want to put photos in 2 different folders. One is for (facebook, viewbug) the other is for print. (Not at home). What export settings should i use? I mean when export to jpeg i usually do 90% quality and dont really know how to set the rest. This setting will be used only for social media. The other export will be to print and keep them in my print folder, also this will be the image to show to my friends, family on my monitor. Now, this is the setting i know nothing at all. My monitor is calibrated and want to work with rgb. I know i have to export in srgb for jpeg. Im on win10. Would be great if anyone could light me up.

For social media, you’ll want to reduce the output jpg RGB image size to match their requirements (if you don’t, they’ll reduce the image size themselves in ways that don’t optimize image quality). There are guides for this like https://blog.hootsuite.com/social-media-image-sizes-guide/

For showing on your monitor, you may also want to match output to match your monitor size (unless you will want to zoom in to parts of the image). That will maximize display speed and minimize storage requirements. Or as you intend, you can just use the export settings you use for printing.

For printing, generally you’ll want to use the full image size for export and 90-95% compression.

1 Like

Hi
For FB, in albums i found recommandations for 2048px. Works fine for me with jpg with 80% setting.
Cheers

1 Like

Thx jch2103. I know facebook, etc reduce the files. About the export settings for printing: thats what i dont know how to set. There are a few options what no idea how to set. This is the point i would need a step by step guide.

Thx. Thats how i did it before. Just was not sure about the correct settings.

I assume you’re using your own printer. The printer settings will depend significantly on your specific printer, especially whether it can print without margins. If you’re printing a single borderless image, it’s much simpler. You will likely need to adjust printer properties (things like paper type/print quality, etc.). Given the number of variables, it’s hard to give more specific advice, except to say give it a try and see how it works.

1 Like

I have a printer but use only for documents. I would like to send my best images to a lab, like foto.com to make a photobook for my family and maybe some pictures to print for the wall. My printer is a Hp envy photo 6234. For better quality i prefer to send my images to a proper lab.

In that case, your decisions can be even simpler: just export the image as a JPG at original size with quality of 90% or 95% (you likely wouldn’t be able to tell the difference). Your print lab likely handles this kind of image routinely and also handles things like print size/resolution routinely. Depending on the print lab, there can be additional options, but in most situations these won’t be critical.

That said, it’s possible to get really involved in printing options and details, which may be important for professional photographers. Before doing so, you’d want to explore the detailed printing options your lab supports. But for your initial prints that’s likely overkill.

1 Like