Show nikon focus point

For all the reasons everyoneā€™s noted above, this request would have a very narrow audience. And, as @Joanna notes, you can get the information via ExifTool or Nikonā€™s software if really desired. I assume other manufacturers provide similar tools for those in need.

@jch2103
As I said nikon software are toooo slooow for being efficient on this (because when there are problem, you generally have lot of images to check).
Exif tool seems to me of not big use (unless something I donā€™t undestand) because itā€™s when in work cession that this information is required when needed.

But as I said too I would prefer DxO work on big working color space or extended masking and layer system or any big part that makes PL take a big step forward than on this kind of detail.

Yes, but PhotoLab is not a testing tool. There are lots of ways you can determine if your camera is not nailing focus besides seeing the location of the selected point of focus in PhotoLab. Putting in the time and effort to implement it in PhotoLab seems like a waste of resources which could be better used elsewhere.

Mark

1 Like

@mwsilvers
I agree. As it seems to be complicated. Just wanted to explain the use of it, because not everybody uses long lens at full aperture on action shooting, and it seems some didnā€™t understand why the need of it.
But again, I agree.

Although it gains some reputation from DxO as testing-lab :wink:
I have to agree if I look at ā€œwhat will be missing in the futureā€ that caring for a display of AF-points of DSLRs today seems like caring for manometer displays of steam engines.

Also, DxO PL is not the fastest app to display RAWs and worst, it canā€™t show more than one image on itā€™s main screen, so comparing is a bit hard.

Btw. @JoPoV I stumbled over the term

razor sharp DoF

and think itā€™s a contradiction, but I believe you meant a shallow DoF? I actually donā€™t think the display of the AFpoint will help much, thereā€™s movement of you and your subject, a bit too much of it and the interesting area is out of focus. To me, DSLR and AF mean coincidence and guesswork as indirect measurement has always some kind of failure rate.

Hi,
posted in the wrong thread, but the facts are true :wink:

Generally always use continuous AF. Itā€™s about fast moving subject and long lens full aperture.
So it is useful.

@JoJu
Yes, sorry. English is not my native langage and sometime worlds mix in my head when I try to type fast.
but shallow dof image has to rhyme with rasor sharp image for me, it has to be rasor sharp.
Or I may have always misunderstood ā€œrazor sharpā€.
And my AF has to be as precise as possible.

I use the program ApolloOne available on the Mac App Store to show Nikon focus points.

It is not an editor more of an first look program - you can use it to send images to the editor of your choice.

If you have a Nikon and an Mac I highly recommend it.

Welcome, ASR1001, what else can this app do? Two days ago I found Picktorial, a free converter (!) which also can also show focus points. Okay, no free RAW converter, but 5 $/month for the RAW capable version is surprisingly low. And also surprisingly fast. Itā€™s for Mac only.

Just been looking myself and assume @ASR101 means this oneā€¦

Will have a look later when at the Mac. More interested on its culling side personally as I didnā€™t get in with FastRawPreview (or whatever it was called!)

Hi JoJu:

I use ApolloOne for my first look after a shoot. It quickly loads all of my images and allows me to sort out the goods, maybes and bads. It displays focus points which I use all the time. I can send an image to an external editor quickly with a quick press of the option and e keys. It can do quite a bit more too.

1 Like

Yes, the slide show effects are quite nice. And it says it can display Affinity Photo files, since Affinity themselves donā€™t get it done. Last part was my opinionā€¦

???
For just a little bit more twice of it you have complete adobe solution for photography. I donā€™t like adobe, neither subscription, and I think 5 $ a month is very expensive just to see focus points and convert files ā€¦

Looks nice for first sort. It seems to have fast display.
Any software of the same kind for PC allowing fast first sort and showing nikon focus point ?

Now, whatā€™s this comment really worth? LR + PS are more than double the price per month. PL costs 4Ɨ more ā€œto convert filesā€ and not seeing any AF points (btw. I donā€™t know if LR does show focuspoints?). And with the free version of Picktorial, one already can see AF points as well in RAW files - Itā€™s just not possible to edit / export the RAW files. Iā€™m not a fan of Picktorial nor an owner of a subscription license, but your comment is simply misleading.

Sorry, but pay a subscription just to see focus points seems to be an aberration for me.
Itā€™s just for me.

Note that DxO should also add focus point display for all the other camera brands (and models) they supportā€¦

1 Like

I thought this could be added in the pipeline when testing cameras.
But as I said before in this topic, if this is really too much work, Iā€™d prefer DxO to work on and gives us a major improvment than some little features.

ā€¦or even better, finally fix all those very long standing issues and bugs.

1 Like

I prefer FastRawViewer for image evaluation after spending a lot of time with both ApolloOne and FRV. On the other hand, ApolloOne does offer focus point support (certainly for Nikons, which is what Iā€™ve tested, and some other brands, including Canon I believe) so if thereā€™s a set where Iā€™m very interested in focus behaviour Iā€™ll go through it on ApolloOne. Both ApolloOne and FastRawViewer use .xmp ratings and are cross-compatible so one can mix and match for rating a set.

Whatā€™s a bit of a nuisance is the keyboard shortcuts are somewhat different for fast hands on the keyboard work.

The PhotoLab image browser is so slow (ApolloOne is reasonably fast and FastRawViewer is lightning fast) that there should be no speed issue created by reading the Nikon focus information while rendering the image. Iā€™d like to see the Nikon focus information as an overlay in PhotoLab 5, even if itā€™s not my highest priority.