Should I deactivate the camera's internal lens corrections?

Hello.
I’m not sure how to apply the optical corrections in Photolab corretly. My camera already applies corrections. Is this recognized by DXO Photolab or should I try to deactivate the corrections in the camera and then only process with Photolab? Or does that make no difference?

Best regards
Raffael

Welcome Raffael

The camera corrections are only for the camera’s JPEG.
The raw file ignores them and PhotoLab starts the whole process again.

Pascal

2 Likes

Hello Pascal,

thank you very much for the explanation and the link.

Raffael

1 Like

It does not matter with my elderly Canon EOS bodies and lenses. Some newer cameras can bake corrections into RAW files though and I suppose that it is easiest to test your gear’s behavior. Take a shot of e.g. a few buildings with straight lines with your camera set to correct lens features and one shot without that correction. You’ll then be able to determine how your gear works in relation to PhotoLab and by itself. Check both RAW and JPEG output for the complete picture.

My state of knowledge is, PhotoLab ignores the inbuilt lens-profiles completely. I guess, after so many complaints about missing lens profiles although the lens is on the market for weeks, months, years, DxO would have made a big fuzz about “finally possible! choose the lens profile suiting your needs!”

So, @platypus, what’s the reason to waste somebody’s time on something which will possibly only generate another “unsatisfied” customer? It’s not a complaint, I’m just curious.

…which seems to be a sign of intelligence…

Reading through camera news, I read that some cameras bake things into their RAW files and if I remember correctly, this was mostly mentioned in conjunction with newer Sonys. Be it as it may, the only way to know what one’s camera does, is to test it, no matter if one considers this a waste of time or not. From experience, I can say that DPL does not care about whether I set optical corrections or not in my Canon bodies. That experience is limited to the camera models I use and/or own and the versions of DPL I work(ed) with though.

@Rubinius has given no detail about the gear used, therefore my advice is to check the gear’s behavior instead of asking for advice whether to turn left or right in an unlit tunnel.

Aaah, now your post became clearer for me. Although I’m not sure where this theory “baked in corrections” does come from. If I remember correctly, LR was in some versions not able to switch the lens corrections off or on, but that only makes a difference wether it is a separate manufacturer profile (sidecart like) written by camera into the RAW file or the already by camera corrected but still mosaïced “RAW”-data. I mean, if the camera manufacturers go as far as to destructively manipulate RAW-data, it’s no longer RAW but can become a TIF or JPG as well?

Whatever a manufacturer bakes into a RAW file, the file can still be a RAW file. E.g. vignetting correction can easily be added to mosaiced (raw) data…
Manufacturers can (and) do whatever they choose to their RAW files and some of it might not even be documented. If we check module availability, we’ll find that some modules exist in a RAW and a JPEG version, which somehow implies that both RAW and JPEG files have been “tweaked” by the manufacturer…

As if to me something else happens with Olympus m43 …, but I may be wrong.

Thank you very much for your answers.

I have been using a Lumix G70 and I now have an additional Nikon Z5 with Nikkor Z lenses.

I have not paid that much attention to lens corrections in the past. I wanted to change that with the new camera and put more attention on Photolab.
Lightroom indicates that the built-in lens profiles have been applied, even to the RAW files. That’s why the question came up.

I will try the suggestion of @platypus when I have time. This is not a waste of time for me. Photography is a hobby for me and I want to continually improve my skills. Small experiments can be helpful.