Sharpening on DJI Mavic 3 files

I have just downloaded the PureRaw trial to use with my Mavic 3 files. I am a long term Capture One user for raw files. I put a number of files through PureRaw at the three options. To my eye, they all appear to be oversharpened. I always look at files at 100% early on, but these look too sharp to even print. Distant objects look that way too. It just looks like details have been invented.

I am quite happy to be told that ‘that’s the way that it is’ but I thought that I would ask rather than just wander off.

Am I missing something?

Hello @Jeffg53 ,

you can toggle ON or OFF the addition of Global Lens Sharpness when using the DeepPRIME denoising method. Have you try to play with it ?

ON: lens sharpness is boosted
equivalent settting in PhotoLab is

OFF: lens sharpness is not boosted.
equivalent settting in PhotoLab is

If you still can’t get a fine result please upload some RAW files on upload.dxo.com so we can analyse it.

Regards,
Marie

Hello Marie,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try again with the setting off.

Cheers,

Jeff

Forget the last comments. I made the mistake of comparing with Capture One. When I started looking at other files with Bridge, it looks better

Hello Marie,

I tried it without the lens setting and it is much better, thanks. I will now try on a few more files. I also noticed that it appears to be lightening, and/or changing the white balance. It appears to be doing a lot more than I expected. It’s not a bad thing, just a surprise.

Cheers,

Jeff

1 Like

Hello Marie,

I have been working on some other files and have discovered that the file metadata is being changed somehow. I am using the 12mm lens but it is being changed to the zoom.

Any ideas?

I have also noticed that the compare after processing views are darker than the file appears in CO after import. Could this be a colour management mismatch?

Cheers,

Jeff

PS. I have bought a licence for PR2

To illustrate about the differences, I am attaching a screenshot from CO showing two before/after images

Sorry, wrong shot

Hello @Jeffg53 ,

I will have a look, we shouldn’t change it.

Regards,
Marie

1 Like

Today, I tried a file from my Olympus EM1 II which I believe is the same sensor as the Mavic 3. In the attached screenshot you can see that, while different, it is less than on the Mavic 3 file.

And a Nikon D850

Hello Marie,

Is there any news? I really don’t want to start using PR with the metadata and image changes outstanding.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hello Marie,

I would really appreciate some feedback. Currently, I have one known issue with the metadata and another with PR lightening files for the Mavic 3.

If DXO would prefer that I went away, just say so. Currently, I am in limbo waiting for feedback.

I realize you are frustrated, but @Marie said she will take a look. She and the development team have many things on their plate. It may take a while longer for her to have this tested and to respond. Please try to be patient.

Mark

I don’t mind being patient, but I do like to be kept informed.

I spent half a lifetime in network and mainframe software development and support as well as supporting my own software. One thing that I learned from that is that people will tolerate delays as long as they are kept informed. If the information is ‘we are still working on it’ that’s all that’s needed.

Jeff

My 30+ years of development and support experience is similar to yours. Try to keep in mind that DxO’s development and support staff is much smaller than some of their competitors like Adobe. They have 5 products to support on two platforms and it appears their user base has grown significantly, likely as a result of the stellar reviews their products have been receiving. That is very evident on this site which is much busier now than I have ever seen it in the last 5 years with perhaps double the average number of daily posts. The improvement of end user support has been discussed here often. DxO understands the need for better user support and feedback. Although it is still far from perfect there has been a huge improvement in responsiveness in the last year.

Mark

Thanks Mark. We are both singing from the same hymn book, it would seem. Thanks too for chiming in, I now understand the situation, and will sit back and wait a little longer.

Jeff

Jeff,

I am not making excuses for DxO’s past lackluster support and I can’t speak to exactly why it was not very responsive. However, I can say, based on my daily presence here and after reading virtually everything that posted daily, that I am very impressed by the improvements in the quality of end user support I have seen recently.

Mark

Thanks Mark. That’s encouraging.

Jeff

However, just to be clear, there is no guaranty that DxO will resolve your issue in a timely fashion.

Mark