Sharing PhotoLab Workspace layouts ... with potential to learn from others

It’s possible that I’m misunderstanding you - but I reckon that’s easy to do in PL.

1. Ensure the Crop settings look like this;
    DxO_CropSettings

2. Use the Horizon tool to indicate where you think the horizon should be

3. Click on Preview to see the result - and, if necessary, follow-up immediately with the Crop tool to fine-tune the placement of the image within the crop.

It’s a bit different in approach to your diagram - - but with exactly the same result (so far as I can tell ?)

Am I missing something ?

Regards, John M

Mmmm - Now I am intrigued !

See my example above (in reply to Asser); How am I misunderstanding this requirement ?

Regards, John M

PS. I’m using VP v3 from within PL.

Here’s my new workspace layout … based on input from @Asser & @platypus

Click to enlarge

Regards, John M

OUI bien sûr
the auto position is a prerequisite for this behavior.

I went too fast and I am not native English :sweat_smile:
Asser asks why the two functions are differentiated.
With ViewPoint stand alone it is possible to crop the straightened image by staying inside the canvas.

Pascal

OK - Thank you for the clarification … But, how is that different to what we can achieve from within PL ?

** Is the end result not the same as I outlined above ?

Regards, John M

Try it for yourself :wink:
Pascal

The end result is always the same, its all about efficiency. I do not want to guess where the horizon might be multiple times. The problem with the horizon tool is that it does not deliver a live preview. I have made a video on what I mean:

It can be as easy as that. I just “rotate” until I think it might look good.

Btw: I do not want to change the horizon tool. It is perfect for its use case. I just would like to see the crop tool be extended by a drag rotate functionality as in the video. It would not disturb anybody who does not need it. But it would be handy for those who are used to it from other tools.

1 Like

OK - I now understand what you mean … Thank you, @Asser

John M

Hi everyone.

I love black and white photography. I’m in love with the possibilities offered by the DXO software. Undoubtedly, my favorite plug was NIK Silver EFX. Below is my workspace, which I use for conversion to B&W.

My work begins with the selection of a film, just like a photographer who puts a film in his camera. Then there is the light and contrast control section which is crucial for black and white photography.

The next step is the conversion of the color image into black and white. In most cases, this conversion is (amazing!) done by the film profile, which we choose first. For a larger control on the right, I created a palette that allows more precise control of color conversion process. You can change the white balance, add a lens filter, change the brightness of each tone after the conversion and apply a tonal curve.

The tone curve always affects the brightness. If we work on the main RGB curve, only the brightness changes, but if we work on the curves of separate channels in the black and white image, color appears. To avoid this - the last stage is the desaturation of the entire photo (HSL with saturation set to -100).

If we work only on the RGB curve then this destatation does not change anything. It does not change the color balance, or the brightness of the photograph. If we work on separate RGB curves, a color appears for each channel, which we remove (we remove saturation for this additional color) with desaturation.

This gives us additional control over the conversion of a color image to black and white in each of the three channels and in each of the ranges: shadows, lights and midtones.

I do first aply chanel mixer for BW, and then use curves for even more precise control, then local adjustments with control points and etc…

1 Like

Thank you, Jaroslaw - - That’s a really interesting explanation … I will come back to this when I next try a B&W conversion.

John M

Hy i am new to DxO workspace, and one thing i am not fond of are the repeating controls because it uses unnessesary space. I am not started to modify my work space because i need to find out which i don’t need. So i left all sections active for now, what gives a lot of scrolling or folding in out, i would like floating toolboxes on a second screen. Like all which are below screen line.
Is that possible?
Or the essentialstoolbox, is this modifiable so i don’t have so much double 's ?

Appreciate the inside.

Every now and then, I use a workspace with a palette that contains all control panels except the ones that I put into the left dock (see screenshot wayyy up)

If you have a mac, you can add this workspace after you’ve unzipped it:
00 - All In One.dopworkspace.zip (1.4 KB)

i am on win10 OS.

I am used to Silkypix layout which has more a switch tab kind of lay out and floating toolwindows (on a second screen which you can toggle with a button. So all base tools stay in screen one and the extra ones are a floating toggle version.

My confusion is the repeating tools and sliders. I can’t figur out why this would be usefull. its causes you to the need of scrolling or pull up (collaps) and down(expand) tool windows.

One other thing is do find new is the fact that CA correction is working when zoomed in (you see the purple disapear) and zoomed out the purple is there again. So no realtime rendering like in SP.
(not a biggy because after exporting the CA is corrected properly)

Same as sharpening or micro contrast can cause some artifacts or moiré in the exported jpeg wile zoomed in at 100"% all looked fine. I am working on my “see and correct” knowlegde.
That’s why i still have all tools still visible, i am still strolling around in the tools to find the sollution.

How image corrections are displayed depending on zoom level can partially be influenced in the settings.

Again, you can add or delete panels at your own discretion. (Un)select according to taste with the dropdown list at the right side of the palette titlebar.

Create new palettes from the menue and either attach them to a dock or move them to wherever you want. PL is quite customizable. The film strip can be floated from the menue. Try it or check out the manual…

John M.
I like this workspace. I will try it out. Thanks for the layout.

Thanks, Erol

Another excellent and MUCH appreciated feature of PL’s ability to customise one’s own palette layout is that it allows one to change and adapt the layout to match growing experience and preferences, and to accommodate new features, etc.

My layout now looks like this - with the LHS palette (containing less-used tools) usually hidden, until needed;

… my Image Browser is on a separate screen.

John M

Do we have an open request for it ?

Yes:

1 Like

Thanks. Voted ! :blush:

Not really a Workspace Layout but I discovered that you can use relative paths for your exports which I have found to be extremely useful if you have multiple directories of photos and you want all your developed photos to go to a single folder relative to the original file. Now you can use a single export for all your develops and know they will be in a folder relative to the original and you will not have to change destination each time.

I have my photos in folders as shown below with all photos in a date folder:

2019 Photos
     Developed
     Camera1
           Date
             |
           Date
     Camera2
           Date
             |
           Date
2020 Photos
     Developed
     Camera1
           Date
             |
           Date
     Camera2
           Date
             |
           Date

Then if I want all my developed photos for each year to go into the Developed folder in each year’s folder, then I would use the following export settings:

3 Likes