Shape of the area for the U Point

Can you introduce the possibility to change the shape of the area covered by the U Point ?
Maybe not just a circle.
Thanks
Best regards
TheVirex

Hi TheVirex - - It’s quite possible that I’m misunderstanding your request - but, whenever I see suggestion for change to the shape of the area covered by the U-Point I wonder if the writer may have the same misunderstanding as I initially did about how a U-point determines the area-of-influence to which it is applied (Hint: It’s NOT necessarily a circle).

This may be helpful: Examples of “area-of-influence” determined by U-Point

Regards, John M

Hi John, thank you very much for your answer.
I got your point and yes the circle area is just as an indication of influence because the real mask is appliaed to the colour range selected with the point.
But sometime it happens that colour range is not so vast, for example, in the link you sent me looking at the shot with road-sign, in my experience, the mask is not so definite and the green on leaves is not completely black. As example, imagine a sea landscape, color range for the sky and the sea could be quite similar but you want to apply different regoulations with Viveza. to do that you have to create several small points, in the sky for example, but it should be simple if you can create the first point and then model the shape using “Command + click”, dragging the border as you prefer.
Is it wrong my consideration ?
Thank you very much.
Ciao
TheVirex

So this:

instead of this:

Exactly that I had in mind, to be more flexible the shape could be not regoular but similar to the selection with lasso tool in PS

For irregular shapes there is a brush tool at least in PhotoLab. U-point makes only sense, where the user defines a region and lets the algorithm detect the shape of the mask inside that region.

Maybe you are looking for a possibility to define masks in general like in a pixel editor ala Affinity Photo? This would require all mask related stuff like create mask, invert mask, refine mask, feather mask and so on. But this would be overkill for a filter tool like NIK. IMHO it would make more sense, to ensure, that NIK integrates well with host applications that support Photoshop plugins, so that it is possible to pass the masks as they were created in those host applications to NIK.

I agree with you, Nik it’s a plug-in and doesn’t need to replicate all the functionality already present in the main sw.
My idea is just to have less points as possible to cover more precisely the are we want to work as you designed in you last answer.
Thank you very much.
Best regards
TheVirex