Schedule for PL6 Elite 'free minor update' to enable X-Trans functionality for DeepPRIME XD

DxO support are indicating this feature is coming but there is no indication of the timing. Users of Fuji mirrorless bodies (Fujifilm X-Pro1, Fujifilm X-E1, Fujifilm X-M1 , Fujifilm X100S, Fujifilm X-E2 , Fujifilm X-T1, Fujifilm X100T, Fujifilm X-T10, Fujifilm X-E2s, Fujifilm X70, Fujifilm X20, Fujifilm XQ1, Fujifilm X30, Fujifilm XQ2, Fujifilm X-Pro2, Fujifilm X-T2 , Fujifilm X100F, Fujifilm X-T20, Fujifilm X-E3, Fujifilm X-H1, Fujifilm X-T3, Fujifilm X-T4, Fujifilm X-T30, Fujifilm X-T30 II, Fujifilm X-Pro3, Fujifilm X100V, Fujifilm X-S10, Fujifilm X-E4, Fujifilm X-H2S and Fujifilm X-H2) cannot make use of the feature.
Can we have an indication when this will be, please?

They’re probably not going to tell you until it’s ready. DxO tries to avoid setting those type of expectations because if for one reason or another they are delayed they will have to deal with a lot of angry people who will claim that DxO broke their promise. Unfortunately, that means you wlll have to be patient.

There are frustrated Fuji shooters asking about this every day, but that won’t make it come any sooner. Even if DxO indicated it will be coming some time this month people will be chomping at the bit every single day. If they commit to next month.users will get more annoyed after every passing day.

The rollout of a new version always mean their development staff will be focused on resolving a number of different user issues

Mark

1 Like

Thanks Mark - all noted with appreciation. Can I check thay you’ve seen my posts at Trying out PL6; DeepPRIME XD question ? My thoughts are expanded on there.
I’m not unfamiliar with scenarios like this, having managed and procured university student IT resources for some 20 years before my recent retirement. However, I see no reason for not holding the folks who take the money to account over shortcomings where ‘roadmap’ features are flagged up at launch, included in the version comparison, shown in the official user guide and then excused away in the FAQ.
Again thanks for balancing perspectives. I’m sure DxO will agree with you rather than me and all other frustrated Fuji mirrorless customers.

3 Likes

DxO should have been more forthcoming in clearly documenting that DeepPRIME XD is not yet supported for Fuji X-trans sensors. As for getting even an approximate date for implementation, that will not be likely until they actually have a specific date or timeframe in mind.

Almost every time DxO has given advance notice of an implementation date or timeframe, some delay has caused them to miss it and users expecting implementation when DxO said it would take place responded with vitriol. Paid users notoriously lack understanding and patience.

Mark

2 Likes

Thanks again, Mark. One final comment from me.

I appreciate what you’re saying, but in my neck of the woods ‘Paid users’ = customers who have earned (bought) a right to expect a product or service to be as it’s described.

5 Likes

X-Trans shooters are certainly a dedicated and passionate group. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the issue here with X-Trans functionality in all image processing software other than whatever Fuji supplies that the X-Trans sensor and the raw files it produces requires substantially different coding and debugging than the great majority of other sensors, particularly for denoising.

I understand your frustration if you’re in the middle of your 30 free days evaluation for a feature you expected to be able to test.

My own experience with PL is that DeepPRIME was a major upgrade over PRIME and well worth the extra processing time in many situations with newer hardware. That has not been true going from DeepPRIME to DeepPRIME XD. It will produce a small visible improvement in a select few images and take substantially more time to export, so in nearly all cases, I’ll be sticking with Deep PRIME. A few people have posted rave reviews, but I and many others are much more meh on this denoising upgrade. I’m not sure, once it arrives, you’ll feel it’s been worth your worry.

1 Like

My personal experience with DeepPRIME XD is that it is especially useful on cropped images, especially heavily cropped ones. DeepPRIME XD brings out finer detail in almost any image, but much of that fine detail in not very visible at normal zoom levels. It is much more obvious on cropped images. An additional benefit is that cropped images will process more quickly than full sized images.

Mark

1 Like

Thanks for the comments. I would say that nowadays most software manufacturers (Affinity, Skylum and Topaz etc., all of which I use) are able to manage the complexities around X-Trans raw files, and DxO is possibly a little late to the party in my opininion (and others as has been noted here and elsewhere). My issues are as much about the way the program (PL6 Elite) has been introduced by the company with some misleading/confused information in the product information and official user guide.
You may not have read all my previos posts on this topic, but I took advantage of the reduced price upgrade offered to licence holders for PL5 Elite and purchase a licence so I’m not working with a trial version. I actuallly trusted DxO to deliver what appeared to be on offer.
In making this decision, I believe that I and other X-Trans user-purchasers have been taken advantage of by DxO because we believed all the new product features would work with our camera files. This is supported by DxO’s product comparison chart and that a .raf file is used as an example to illustrate DeepPrime XD in the official product user guide. It turns out that this may be a file from a Fuji GFX camera that does not use the X-Trans sensor
Having taken the risk, I accept that was my choice, but I choose to exercise the right to voice my opinion on the way DxO have gone about the launch of PL6 in respect of this particular feature.
Whether DP XD is useful or not is something I would like to be able to evaluate for myself but here we are, me without a fully featured version of the program and my money in DxO’s account. I look forward to the update to see how DP XD performs with my high-ISO raw files and will carry on enjoying the other new features of PL6 Elite.

2 Likes

Thanks for that observation Mark. I look forward to trying it out. Eventually - lol!

That’s helpful, 185Queens, in putting your beef into perspective and, not that you need to hear it from me, but I think you’re fully justified in your beef.

I’ve been burned (cough Luminar cough) by trusting past positive experience in accepting an early upgrade offer too, where promised features proved to be vaporware, so I get it. It’s not unusual for marketing to promise what programming can’t deliver quite on schedule. My hunch is the reason DeepPRIME XD doesn’t yet support X-Trans is that XD is causing unacceptable artifacts due to the X-Trans sensor. Eventually DXO programmers are likely to figure it out, as they did for DeepPRIME.

I also appreciate mwsilvers’ suggestion that DeepPRIME XD may be especially useful with heavily cropped images. I hadn’t thought of that or tested it. I like to shoot a little wide and crop in, which of course makes noise more obvious, so this may give me a better appreciation for DeepPRIME XD.

1 Like

The issue stems, I believe, from the fact that the ML models are used to Bayer sensors. It’s not a case of just knowing the pixel layout.

But
 it has been promised, and there should be some indication given by DxO of whether it’s likely to be “before year end” at least.

1 Like

That is a reasonable request.

Mark

2 Likes

Thanks, dxodm - I was also taken in by the same company you mention in their ambition outstripping their capacity to deliver (though I must indicate my fullest respect to them in carrying on in the most difficult of situations) and stopped going along with the incremental additions as soon as their extensions model appeared.
DxO’s statement “It is planned to add DeepPRIME XD support only with a later minor update of DxO PhotoLab 6.” is open to interpretation in a number of ways, but we can only hope that ‘minor’ refers to the scale of the correction and that may indicate it won’t be too far in the future.

3 Likes

Guess how I found PhotoLab. Skylum’s business plan would not have been out of place in a classroom of 9 year olds. Well
 if there actually was a plan.

2 Likes

Professional photog here. Hell, I recently upgraded to DXO PL6, hoping that it would support my newly purchased Fuji X-H2, which is terrific. I unfortunatly discovered that the H2 isn’t supported. My other cameras are fine (x-pro3 and x-h1, which I’m selling).I’d love to have the new DeepPRIME XD, but right now, I NEED support for the H2! My other editing programs are fine, with the exception of Exposure 7. C’mon, DXO! This is really limiting my work.

2 Likes

Hi Marc - you won’t get DeepPRIME XD on any X-Trans sensor models from PL6 at the moment, , only DeepPRIME. The statement about this is buried in the FAQ for DP6. Kirk

Right now I just want support for the X-H2 and the 18-120, although I doubt that will come soon, I wonder why other raw editors can pick the can pick-up the built-in lens profiles too?

1 Like

That’s the camera and lens combination i’ve been holding off on until DxO supports them. I no longer use other raw processing applications.

1 Like

@karin.g

please see → DxO PhotoLab - New Optic Modules released and Cameras & Lenses support (5 October 2022 update) - #197 by jpgrove

1 Like

In another post there has been cited a response by dxo support from this week:

"DxO est trĂšs exigeant en matiĂšre de rendu final et c’est la raison pour laquelle nous n’avons pas encore voulu lancer DeepPRIME XD pour les appareils Fuji X-Trans car nous ne sommes pas satisfait du rĂ©sultat.
Cela risque de prendre encore quelques mois et je n’ai pas de date connue Ă  ce sujet dans l’immĂ©diat. En attendant DeepRPIME donne dĂ©jĂ  de trĂšs bons rĂ©sultats."

Translation:

*"DxO is very demanding in terms of final rendering and that’s why we have not yet wanted to launch DeepPRIME XD for Fuji X-Trans devices because we are not satisfied with the result. *

*It may take a few more months and I don’t have a known date about it in the immediate future. In the meantime, DeepRPIME is already giving very good results." *

So I guess sometime in spring?

1 Like