Revolution?

evolution yes …

revolution: a little exaggerated…

I will test

It’s called marketing. It’s barely been released. I would cut them some slack on their use of hyperbole. Its a good day for DXO Labs.

Mark

3 Likes

Does the revolution support iPhone 11 HEIF files?

No, It does not.

Mark

2 Likes

We’ve gotten well past ridiculous here. The iPhone 11 has been out for a year, no lens modules exist for it even if you shoot JPEG, and iPhone 12s are already in the hands of reviewers.

I can understand you… and the same time with Apple RAW for iPhone 12 Pro coming soon HEIF is dead for me anyway :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I have thousands of HEIF files sitting on my machine. Even if I stopped shooting HEIF today, being able to process them is still critical.

This is terribly disappointing. All I have shot the last year is iphone 11 pro max in jpg, heif, and dng and more than 2/3 of what I shoot I have to use other software. Was really hoping to see some progress. May have to rethink the whole DXO operation and just go with On1

1 Like

I appreciate that. With Android RAW (dng) support also lacking at this time, I don’t think PhotoLab is the best solution if your main camera is in a mobile phone or tablet. While there is much for which a phone or tablet camera isn’t the best device, it would be great if PhotoLab addressed this large segment of the market better so users could get the most out of these cameras. For now, being more of a system-camera photographer, I am happy working with phone camera JPEGs in PhotoLab and the Nik Collection. One of these days I will try another program to see if working with the dng files makes much of a difference for me.

nice, I’m still on 3.3.2 and not the latest. didn’t checked for a little while I guess.

well… not a gift yet, haven’t got email with a free download :crazy_face:
I got a bigger gift coming soon and cost quit a lot more and some time savings for it, so this will have to wait.

1 Like

Mike, I’m an iPhone 11 Pro Max owner as well (I bought the one with the biggest screen as I have trouble with small type). I tested HEIC stills against JPG stills. There was no quality difference. Hence converting the entire folder to 16-bit TIFF for processing (if quality is paramount) or 8-bit jpeg makes absolutely no difference: you lose nothing. iMazing has a very good converter and it’s free.

FYI, the licensing fees for HEIC for commercial software publishers are extortionate. You’ll see HEIC in free open source applications sooner as free open source software developers don’t have to pay the HEIC license fees at all (there are some hurdles for them to jump over as well to justify/limit their use of the code but some use is allowed).

Based on what I’ve seen from my iPhone 11 Pro photos, there’s no need to jump to TIFF for the conversion. The files are good but not amazing. These were finished in Photolab from jpeg conversions.

Don’t let Apple rain on your photo parade with promises they can’t keep: HEIC is only as good a container as the information you put into it. HEVC video is a bigger deal. Video files are so much larger and the continuous data rate matters. It’s the same nightmare for editing though – HEVC should be transcoded for editing on anything except an iPad Pro.

2 Likes

I am curious and I don’t use Apple products so excuse what is probably a stupid question, but is it not possible to find a file conversion application and convert these files into a supported format?

Sure I understand. I stayed with jpeg for compatibility reason.

HEIF can spare us some data space but that’s it for today. We will have to wait a while until there is a better support because anyway all our friends and family can not read that format.
When all my Apps can read it correctly I might switch to it. But as a photographer I will always prefer a RAW format if I want to post process my images.

1 Like

Any such conversion is (1) lossy and (2) doesn’t address lens corrections.

At least you cannot use any advanced denoising technology on your smartphones JPEGS as long as Android DNG is not supported. No idea if it would be worthwhile.

I’m sorry but you are incorrect in this case. HEIC is not RAW. There’s no extra information in the HEIC file. Apple is not recording 16-bit data for stills in HEIC for now. If you convert to TIFF there is no loss at all. If you convert to jpeg at full quality, the “lossy” loss is so small as to be unmeasurable.

As I mentioned iMazing offers a great free HEIC converter.

2 Likes