Return settings adjustments capability to physical U-Points

Only realistically from your perspective, accompanied with a disillusionment about what your customers want and need… Realistically for your customers is a stable (which v4 was not) release with a consistent UX/UI across the collection. And did I mention stable. Oh yeah… I did.

Welcome to the forum @PaulPorter!

I do agree with you about a consistent UX/UI across the collection, and this is what we aim for.
We are paving the way to achieve that, but it’s not already done: this is a long effort. In an ideal world, we’d love to always bring everything better and immediately, but it’s not always compatible with the reality. You need time and have to schedule your future updates over the next versions…

Having said that, in the real world, users and customers do want (and, of course, 100% deserve) a stable version, and with the latest update, in some cases, this wasn’t delivered! We are currently doubling down to fix what went wrong.

I know, I know, it shouldn’t happen (in the ideal world) in the first place, but unfortunately sometimes, odds play against you.

In such a scenario, the only thing you can do in the real world, is working hard to fix the issue.

4 Likes

That is quite possibly the worst change ever made to a unique tool. all that is required an option in preferences to control the adjustments either at the panel or the point. Then one has a professional tool fit for purpose. To remove the u point sliders is an act of vandalism.

I disagree but we are all entitled to a point of view.

1 Like

Indeed we are… I am however bemused by the antipathy festering in some quarters … why buy a product with a unique point of differentiation and then proceed to make it look and feel the same as everything else in the market … strange… On my part I have been consistent with my criticism of this ever since it emerged that they had vanished without prior warning and despite the fact that the promotional material for the new version clearly showed the u points sliders very prominently. My criticism is simply on the basis of usability for the many of us who work quickly in a dodge and burn fashion, almost in auto mode without dwelling on images from afar of the screen. Ergonomically speaking I have yet to receive an argument which suggests that the eye and hand coordination, particularly or large screens is somehow improved by the removal of the sliders from the points. Instead all I have had back, have been comments about moving with times, new technology and and a fair bit of waffle. All of those changes, could and should been able to be controlled either from the panel or the siders. These are simply handles that control the tech, they are not THE tech. It would not be beyond the wit of a technology brand to offer customisation at the preferences panel and even dimming of points not being manipulated. Then one would have a truly flexible tool

I have no wish to debate this further. As I said - we are all entitled to an opinion. We all see things differently. A product cannot be all things to all people, so business/development decisions have to be made. There will inevitably be dissenters.

Photoshop is all things to all people some users use a bit some a bit more. Customisation is a trend beyond one sector of commerce, it allows diversity and brings in multiple income streams…myopic narrowing of possibilities is not a good strategy for any brand

In your opinion and by your own interpretation of the facts. No more to be said.

I agree with colin_g. The change of UI is overdue. Yes, some people will be upset, that is inevitable, but the current UI is from around 2007 and much has changed in the software industry. DXO must be able to develop software to compete with the competition and sticking to a 14 year old UI which has space and UI/UX limitations, would hinder development.
To give an example of where the competition is, Capture One now has the Magic Brush which selects on colour and luminosity much like U-Points.Then you can use many more tools to make adjustments on the selection then U-Points offers because C1 uses a standard UI where the normal tools work on layers/selections. Progress is necessary, as users we need to accept this and support changes that are inevitable.

I have never been a fan of the on screen sliders in the Nik Collection so their loss is not an issue for me. However, I’ve softened my complete opposition to them and suggest that an option be implemented so that the onscreen sliders will be available to those who prefer them.

Nikon’s NX Studio software has U–Point/Control point functionality with both on screen sliders and identical right panel sliders. I recently downloaded NX Studio to use with my new Nikon Z fc camera because its raw files are not yet supported by Photolab. In NX Studio the onscreen sliders can’t be hidden as far as I can tell, but I still use just the right panel sliders to make adjustments.

If the Nik Collection, and future versions of Photolab, had the option to display and hide the U-Point (Control point) sliders on screen for those who want them, as well as panel sliders, everyone would be happy. It would seem like a win-win to me.

Mark

2 Likes

That Magic Brush is something else. Great! I have oft wondered if Control Points are now yesterday’s news. I really do get why people love them (I do) but with the likes of said Magic Brush and various other implementations of colour/luminosity range masking based on gradient, radial filters and colour pickers it is easy to achieve much the same in other software.

I use Capture 1 and I know exactly how that works. Trying to emulate your competition only removes your point of differentiation. But once again, I do not have a problem with progress or new technology. My issue is with the efficacy of the delivery. The sliders on the u points are very efficacious and precise and very intuitive for new comers they are operating exactly where one is looking to make the adjustment…as I have said many times they are only a delivery mechanism… as are things like Magic Brush etc. Photo Lab is a tool box some people can use one tool and others and other. Customisation is the key…

A bit off-topic, but I’m curious about your experience of both PL & C1 …
May I ask, why are you using both tools ? - - Which aspect of each tool is attractive to you ?

Regards, John M

I left photoshop sometime back when subscription came in. I only used it as a route to NIK and a few other bits and bobs. Adobe became too arrogant and too dominant. Capture One gives me tethering for studio shoots and for when I need to see the results on a large screen. I also like their way of creative control of colour. DXO bought NIK and offered a good platform together with good RAW conversion for my B&W of which I do a lot, including simple renaming and file architecture… C1 is far too involved.

1 Like

It’s an opinion forum so yes in my opinion …as opposed to yours, which in your opinion is factual … facts are not the issue here the issue is user preferences and they of course differ… in my opinion

1 Like

While my requirements and my opinion of the new U-Point functionality is different from yours, I certainly can’t argue with your latest post.

Mark

There is always some agreement in a dialogue

Agree completely. It is important in any constructive dialogue to understand everyone’s point of view even if it differs from our own. That Is why I am now in favor of making the on-screen U-point sliders visible again for those who prefer it that way with the option to hide them for those who don’t. .

Mark

But it all just makes the software more and more complex/bloated. It cannot be all things to all men and it should not try to be so. In my opinion of course.

I gave my opinion, as you say it is opinion forum. I did not say it was factual, it is my opinion. I did include reasons for my opinion which did include some facts like the UI is 14 years old. I can’t see why you object to my opinion just because I included some factual data?