Request: Support for Mutiple screens

I’m new to DxO, coming from having used U-point technology In Nikon Capture NX2 and the Google Nik collection in Lightroom. I’m still in my trial period and browsing through all the capabilities of Photolab. But from the few hours of experience, it is very likely I will purchase when my trial period ends. It is almost the same as in NX2, i.e. natively using U-point, not needing to save and open separately, excellent!. :clap:

Though I’m already very positive, there was one thing I was looking for. As per the subject, it would be great for DxO Photolab to support multiple screens (in windows, don’t know about Mac), similar to Lightroom, Nikon Capture DX and Camerabits photomechanic can do. Having a main working screen and a full-screen preview on the defined 2nd screen…

I’ve tried to play with the workspaces, by moving the pallets and file browser to my 2nd screen, leaving the picture on the other screen. This works but it’s not exactly what Lightroom does, which will show a full-screen preview based on your ‘working screen’.

Peter

1 Like

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the positive feedback and the suggestion. Yep, for now you can move presets and a filmstrip to the second screen.
We’ll analyze it and decide what can be done. But it won’t be soon as there are higher priority tasks right now.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

I agree with Peter: having the possibility to display the fullscreen preview on the second screen would be very valuable.

2 Likes

I too would like this feature request to be considered.

Thank You :smile:

2 Likes

I would strongly suggest that if you decide to purchase PhotoLab you get the Elite version. I believe that very important features like DXO Clearview and Prime noise reduction are only available in the Elite version. Additionally, I would also suggest getting the Viewpoint application which operates as both a standalone application and as a fully integrated plug-in in PhotoLab. It fixes perspective issues.

1 Like

@mwsilvers
I did Purchase bot elite version of PhotoLab and FilmPack for those reasons.
My workflow is much faster than it used to be in LR. I never got to use LR CC as I don’t like the subscription idea (and it’s more expensive in € than it is in $). DxO Photolab takes me back to the experience I had with Nikon NX2 in the past. I’m still very pleased with PhotoLab.

1 Like

Glad to here it. Did you get ViewPoint as well. Its very worthwhile. I was a long term Lightroom user up to LR 6.14. I’ replaced it with PhotoLab last December and have not regretted it.

1 Like

Greetings,
I’ve just grabbed the elite version thus far. The geometry control in ViewPoint is compelling as are some of the Nix plug ins. My reasoning behind purchasing PL is the same as yours. LR 6.14 Perpetual License doesn’t support some of my gear “natively” (for lack of better words). I didn’t want to bother with import with this, open in that. PL supports 95% of my equipment and offers a licensing model I believe in. Its called owning what I purchased. This has all been said before. The die hard LR fans always want to take pokes at me. I could care less. PL is working for me just fine and I’m pleased with the value.

1 Like

Seeing this reply was 3 years ago, has this issue progressed in the “to do” list?
Given that the majority of working shooters (and Retouchers, and GD’s…) work with more than one screen, it should be mandatory for any software aimed at us to allow the active image to be moved to another screen. By the way, Nik software could do this over 10 years ago.

4 Likes

While I don’t use multiple screens myself, many people here have been using two monitors for quite some time.

Mark.

1 Like

Indubitably, when you have more than one screen.
However, it’s standard and also as my partner pointed out (she’s a CD) she wouldn’t want to see me working with a client like this on one screen.
I’m just grumpy, because now I have to try LR+PS, after paying for PL5 + NC4. Can’t say I’ll be recommending DxO to anyone just yet.

I’m still not sure exactly what the issue is for you, but I’m surprised you didn’t discover this problem during your 31-day free trial of the software before purchasing it.

Mark

1 Like

Regardless, the topic is for requesting this functionality, not impeding it.

Well, it might not have been clear, but you want the pic to be mirrored on a second screen, which undoubtely is helpful for work with clients, colleagues etc. – and not just the image browser / filmstrip.

Screen Shot 12-06-21 at 10.45 PM

2 Likes

Mark, if you’re not using two screens, you simply don’t know about some of the issues they cause - or better said “DxO is causing”. Unlocking the image browser of PhotoLibrary is nice, I have the browser on my 27" iMac and the edit window on an Eizo CS2740. Now I’m editing but occasionally want to look up something in the browser. Double or triple click on the PhotoLibrary, one click would already be too much, but this hesitative response just to activate a browser window? And this would be the same if I’d use a 40" monitor. Sorry, in Capture One its’ one window going over two screens and no activation of the browser is necessary, and no activation of the edit window.

Speaking of windows, this behaviour clearly comes from the Windows side of the app. And is as old-fashioned as Windows 7. :woozy_face:

I cannot lock this kind of overview to the main edit window - the image browser disappears when I click on lock it. Also, the image browser disappears behind every mail, even when I activate the main edit window. Hey, it’s 2021! One big or two less big screens are not that exotic.

1 Like

Do you mean you’d like a fast way to switch between PhotoLibrary & Customise modes ??

• in which case, try Ctrl+Tab.

Or, do you mean you want to switch between PL and some other browser software ??

• hold down the Alt-key with your thumb and tap the Tab-key.

HtH - John M

Thank you for your help @Wolfgang
However, that only undocks the image browser, and everything else is still attached to the active image. Although the editor tools can be hidden, that prevents us from using them. Also if you use “full screen viewer” when the whole PL screen isn’t in full screen, that disables the home screen entirely.
Previously in NIK software, on Mac, the image itself could be moved by pressing F which would undock the image and allow it to be moved to any other screen (or have multiple image versions open/worked on, simultaneously). You had all the other windows available as usual on the home screen. Of course, things like control points still had to be placed visible on the external screen, but you had the option to disable its tree of numbers and use the tools menu on the home screen to input values (which DxO have also forgotten).

No John, I don’t want to use any historic shortcuts additionally to do what all (!) other RAW converters can do without any shortcuts. At least on a Mac. That Windows users are not used to 21st century usability concepts is no big news. And if PL would have a decent browser, no other “some browser software” would be needed. This PL image browser is nothing else than “some browser software” the way it behaves. 15 years ago it already was not necessary to use shortcuts for a simple change between editor and catalog. Thank you for your advice, I’m just sorry not being willing to step back to digital stone age.

Just trying to help.

Yeah, instead, we put up with the disadvantage of systems that are more affordable, easier to upgrade, and compatible with more software … Bummer !

John

1 Like

Hahaha, I see on daily basis the differences between Windows and Mac. And what good is it to be “compatible with more software” if this software just repeats all the immanent design flaws? That one of DxO which makes working on two screens more unnecessarily complicated is even on the lower level of usability a bit hard to understand. Thanks for your help anyway. It’s not about not knowing shortcuts. I spent last Saturday a few hours with a Loupedeck device trying to make my workflow on PL a bit more fluent. DxO PL just doesn’t have enough of them, so goodbye, fast workflow.