Request: Ability to export with EXIF attributes added to filename suffix

The Metadata panel displays basic image attributes such as ISO value, Aperture & Shutter speed settings, Exposure variation, Lens focal length, etc, etc

The Export to Disk function provides ability to add a suffix to the exported filename.

Request:

• Enable “tokens” to be used in the declaration of the suffix to be added to the export filename
  • eg. #ISO could mean that ISO value is to be added as part of the suffix
  • eg. #SS could mean that Shutter Speed is to be added as part of the suffix
  • and, #ISO+#SS+#Ap could mean that all of ISO and Shutter Speed and Aperture are added.

John M

In the same vein that there are numerous great tools to manage your photos so PL doesn’t have to, there are also tools to rename files. The free ExifTool has a -Filename option which can use any EXIF tag in its argument. On macOS I can use either A Better Finder Rename to do it overtly, or Hazel to completely automate it for any file saved to a specific folder. I’d be surprised if similar tools weren’t available for Windows.

Yes, true, but … the logic components required for this proposed feature already exist (see above) - so, it would be do-able to add this feature as an enhancement to DPL.

John

I already fielded similar proposals although I forget where exactly. My proposal would be to mimic Capture One’s superb token system which reads application specific values (e.g. color rendering applied, traffic light status) as well as EXIF/IPTC/XMP value fields. I will try to free up a vote.

1 Like

If only software engineering were that easy. I could equally say that writing keywords to original RAW files should be easy because they’re already written to exported DNG files (and heck, my originals are even DNG).

I’m not saying this wouldn’t be a good feature. Even though I probably wouldn’t use it myself, I can see the value in it. But objectively, I see it being way down the priority list because there are already good ways of doing this outside of PL, and adding any feature to the software requires careful planning, execution, testing and more.

1 Like

The free ExifTool has a -Filename option which can use any EXIF tag in its argument. On macOS I can use either A Better Finder Rename to do it overtly, or Hazel to completely automate it for any file saved to a specific folder.