Repair Tool Shape

I’ve been using PhotoLab 2 for a couple of months now and I am really enjoying the results. However I have been scratching my head over something for the entire time so I’ve finally decided to ask about it.

When I use the repair tool to click on a dust speck or other small imperfection sometimes the resulting shape will be round, other times it’s a diamond. Why is that?

Thanks in advance for any light you may shed on this mystery.

I have been using Photolab Elite since it was first released towards the end of 2017. I have also used the repair tool hundreds of times, usually to paint out medium and small sized objects, not just dust, or imperfections, and I have never once seen it turn into a diamond. Perhaps others can shed some light on this.

Mark

Thank you for the reply Mark. It’s the resulting mask shape that’s sometimes a diamond.

I’ve attached a screenshot of an example of this.

repair%20diamond

That is just weird. I have never seen anything like that after a year-and-a-half of using PhotoLab almost every day, and the hundreds of times I’ve used the repair tool. Maybe there’s a feature that I am not aware of. All I ever see are resizable transparent circles. I can’t imagine what the advantage of the solid colored diamonds would be. Are you on a Mac or a PC?

Mark

Mark I’m using a Windows 10 PC and PhotoLab Elite version 2.2.3 with the ViewPoint 3 plugin.

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s confused by this. Everything seems to work just fine I just don’t understand why the masks are sometimes round, sometimes, square, and sometimes diamond shaped.

I also am on version 2.2.3 of PL Elite and use Viewpoint and FilmPack Elite on Windows 10. What version of Photolab were you using when the problem first began? Has it always behaved this way for you. My gut feeling says there is a corruption somewhere. I wonder if reinstalling PhotoLab will correct it. If you go into Windows uninstall and run it for PhotoLab it should ask you if you want to uninstall completely or fix the application. Obviously choose fixing the application. I’ve done that a couple of times in the last year-and-a-half. It’s a no-brainer and perhaps the problem you’re seeing will disappear.

Mark

I’m fairly new to DxO having come over from Adobe last March, so the only version of PhotoLab I’ve used is 2.2 and yes, it’s always been this way for me.

I’m a little reluctant to uninstall and reinstall the program simply because everything seems to be working just fine plus I have my workspaces set the way I like them. I can certainly live with things the way they are, it’s just confusing to me.

Thanks for your help.

I wonder if it isn’t coming from the low zoom range (40%).
Pascal

Hello guys,

Yes, this square shape appears randomly and very rare, it does not influence the correction itself but the mask only. This minor issue is a known one and will be investigated in the order of priority.

Just a question: do you have this square mask shape when you draw after you leave your PL idle for some hours?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

That is interesting. I’ve used the repair tool literally hundreds of times and have never seen this. Since I’ve been on this forum I’ve also never read of anyone else having this problem. It may be very rare, but it’s apparently happened to John on a number of occasions. Very strange.

Mark

We think the problem is related to the fact that when user has an unused instance of PhotoLab for a long time (for instance locking the session for 1-2 hours and then coming back to Photolab that was left open), PhotoLab loses the GPU context, and hence this result (squares instead of circles). But again even in this case it happens very rare :slight_smile:

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Just a question: do you have this square mask shape when you draw after you leave your PL idle for some hours?

That is entirely possible since I often come and go with PhotoLab. I’ll process photos for an hour or two then walk away for a while to do something else. Often putting the computer to sleep until I come back again.

I’ll start watching and make note of just exactly when it happens.

Thanks guys!

1 Like