Repair tool : lighten-only and darken-only options

For dark objects to be removed, make an option to conditionally repair based on the luminance. This would be very useful for example when removing sensor dust spots, or removing tree branches fron the sky background.

Ditto for high luminance noise, such as dust on a scanned printed image.

I find that making such corrections is already fairly easy. Can you say a bit more about how your suggestion improves such repairing?

you mean using a luminancemask to select a range of colors and delete that when you brush over a place leave al other alone?

then we need first luminance masking in selective tone tool (more precise then we have now) before we have a precise selecting tool which can be used for your goal.

The suggested repair process is based on selective cloning.

Let’s consider an area of sky with a few dust spots, and how this feature would be used.

• The user quickly paints a mask of the area needing repair, i.e. an area containing the few disconnected dust spots.
  • Then user adjusts the cloning distance and direction (the repair mask arrow) by shifting the painted area outline in the direction of sky uniformity. The distance needs to be at least as long as the diameter of the spots.
  • By selecting “lighten only”, an effective black and white mask of the dust spots is created : the dust spots are those image areas where the source is lighter than the destination.
  • The effect is to clone high brightness areas to darker areas.

Thus:

• the clean sky areas, which are brighter than dust spots, are unaffected
  • dust spots are replaced by nearby clones sampled from the immediate surrounding.

Another use of this cloning feature could be for completing an image beyond its boundary, for example in uncropped perspective-corrected images, where unknown territory is black.

The general area under cloning (cyan-colored mask" is drawn by hand, and the cloning can be conditional to the difference in luminance. There would be a user-selected option associated with each cloning mask : “copy”, “lighten only”, “darken only”.

I try to understand the difficulty in this vorm of selecting objects. And understand your goal.

A form of luminance/hue selection is build in controlpoints. And using M you can select more careful the exact “color” turning the to want to select “white” by sliding the CP around.
This same kind of selecting control you need for your repairtool feature i think.( to control the selection)
Then a form of range slider to select the bandwide of the effected luminance. As by the HSL tool. Uniformityslider.
Then you need a single source , multi patch kind of brushing. (select a area where it’s clean and the correct color and use that as patching source for the goinig to be brushed area’s.)

Is this what your after?

The key idea here is to create a cloning mask defined by an area brushed by the user, and by the difference in luminance between source and target.

• The process to paint the area remains the same as current
  • An option is added to make the mask effective only if the source is lighter or darker than target, regardless of the hue and saturation of target or source.
  • this removes the need to precisely draw each area for repair
  • the user positions the source relative to the target, such that source color matches the intended target color.
1 Like

I am not sure but automask has a form of this behaviour.
The egde detection is luminance based i think. So the outer circle selects on that behaviour.
If so, then the software is present and needs only to be modified for a standalone function. ( not bound to masking. But as hole bushstroke related.

The idea of capturing luminance hills or valleys in brush strokes is interesting and could be a functionality idea on its own.

I come from the Picture Window Pro editor, by Digital Light and Color. I really like its cloning and paint tool with Lighten-only or Darken-only options.