Re-Organize MacOS file system for use with PhotoLab as my main editor

For what it is worth: I had the same problem, image edits appeared in PL5, but rating were missing for NEF files (but for TIFFs that had been through Nik). I found in the menu file/sidecars/import and it restored the ratings info missing from what I had in PL4. But seems you gave to select all photos in a given folder to make it work.

Welcome to the forum!

I haven’t noticed that PL5 changed my image information since I used PL4.

Since PL4 and PL5 are different programs, I assume I can open both of them, side by side, simultaneously.

To test what you are saying, can I use PL4 to add ratings to my NEF files, and see if they appear in PL5 (either instantly, or on a refresh)?

I just added a star rating to an image in my Nikon D850 and both PL4 and PL5 read it with no problem

[Addenda]

Changing the rating in PL4 does not change it in PL5, even if you re-read the metadata.

But, if you close and reopen PL5, it does read the change made in PL4, but only by adding a new virtual copy with the updated rating.

The issue here is that PhotoLab 4 does not change the rating in the .xmp. PhotoLab 5 does. PhotoLab 5 will play well with others in terms of ratings. Keeping the master rating in one place where every photo application knows where to find it is the only sensible way to handle metadata including and perhaps, especially, ratings.

1 Like