RAW images initially load clear, and then snap to blurry

Yes please, Aaron - that would help us to help you.

John M

@aaron321,
What you see is a combination of showing the embedded jpg first and then the converted raw file. Pl uses some tools that can only been seen when zoomed in at minimal 75%. Open an image at window size and activate all the tools. You will see some mark next to it when the image hasn’t been zoomed in enough.
You can make another test with the camera. If possible set the camera on b/w and take a picture, in raw. Open it in pl. You will first see a b/w picture and then it will change to colors. The b/w picture are the embedded jpg’s, the later one is the converted raw image.

George

Yes, that’s what Joanna suggested as the reason too, George … The curious thing, tho, is that OP is saying the RAW-rendered image looks “blurry” … I’ve never experienced that, even at <75% zoom. Perhaps it’s a factor of his particular {body+Lens} … I’d be interested to see a video/screenshot.

John M

Me neither - unless I’ve got the focus wrong or got motion blur :crazy_face:

2 Likes

If the image used tools that are only visible above 75% you will see it. It’s how pl is build, not how the image is taken.

George

Hi aaron;

Well; … welcome to the club.
What you’ve discovered is already discussed ‘‘thing’’ in PL. Check the second link and scrool down.
You will find two printscreen images I’ve posted. One from PL and second from LR. Image preview in PL is slightly blurry and LR preview is sharp.

PS:
I’m not saying LR is better. It’s just an observation. When the image is ‘’Fit on screen’’ LR preview of the image is sharp and PL preview of the image is slightly blurred.

2 Likes

The issue affects RAW preview only. If you’re used to shooting in anything other than that, you never would have noticed. As others mentioned, you can see the issue resolve at around 75 percent zoom. The problem is so bad that I will probably have to migrate to another software program. If I cannot see how the image actually looks, then I cannot edit it properly, either.

1 Like

I am interested in eliminating the problem, not running further tests. If I cannot eliminate the problem, I may switch to another software program.

To eliminate the problem you first have to understand what the problem is.

George

George;

Would you be so kind to explain to me and aaron, what the problem is so we can solve the problem or at least make some kind of workaround.
What do we need to adjust so we can see sharp preview of RAW files when ‘’Fit on screen’’ and not only when zoomed to 75%?.
I’m using PL because it gives me some benefits but it’s a pain if the preview image is somehow blurry when placed ‘’Fit on screen’’.
Obviously you can’t develop RAW file at 75% zoom.

There’re two reasons that might explain what he sees.
The first one is when opening a raw file for the first time, the embedded jpg or thumbnail is shown. That is an image made by the raw converter in the camera, with the in-camera settings. An extreme setting in the camera could show you. I think you can see it only one time, then an image made by pl is stored in the database and used.
The second one is a way of how pl is working. I don’t think there’s a work around for that. I feel that is a short coming myself too.

George

That 75% boarder is related to the used tools I think. When changing the preset to “no correction” you will not see a difference.

I know from CaptureNx that before sharpening the image should be 1:1. But when done one could zoom out with no problems.

George

Sure. Please read all of these. They are all about the same issue. I’m not asking for much. I just need to see images the way they actually appear. That way, my edits are not “guesswork”. I can’t have blurry images fooling me into editing them the wrong way, right out of the starting gate.

PL3 does not read lens sharpness correctly
https://forum.dxo.com/t/pl3-does-not-read-lens-sharpness-correctly/9868

Blurry Correction Previews
https://forum.dxo.com/t/blurry-correction-previews/4314

Sharpen The Zoomed Out Preview
https://forum.dxo.com/t/sharpen-the-zoomed-out-preview/11820

Sharp preview
https://forum.dxo.com/t/sharp-preview/12597

Previews are unsharp on my screen
https://forum.dxo.com/t/previews-are-unsharp-on-my-screen/13088

The first issue (link) was resolved in an update.

Not on my end, it wasn’t. And I thought this was only affecting RAW previews. But this is a zoomed in jpeg from an old phone camera. So it affects the previews for jpegs, as well. Click on the image and the difference is like night and day. This is a screenshot of scrolling up and down at the 75 percent zoom view range.

You’re right.

George

People have been complaining about this for years, and no one seems to care, and it’s ironic that photo editing software is what’s having this problem. Software that directly interferes with one’s ability to see and edit a photograph is unusable. Other software does not have this problem. That alone, makes DXO Photolab an inferior product.

I’m quite sure that DxO cares. Can they do anything about it? Probably yes.

There’s one catch though: The issue exists as we can see above, but it does not exist on all computers and all images displayed under all circumstances. There are too many degrees of freedom involved to pinpoint the cause of the issue easily. We can help DxO through uploading offending images, sidecars and system configurations to https://upload.dxo.com. Please don’t forget to enter identifying info into the “support ticket number” field and post this info here.

I do agree with you. Except for that last one. Using it as a converter it has good tools. And that’s what I try to use.
Beside that. Viewing an image at less than 100% always includes a lower quality. Completely separate of this topic.

George

“Viewing an image at less than 100% size always includes lower quality” just makes it sound like you are trying to shoot down my post, but thanks for the reply anyway.