Question for Export Dialog

Hello is there a possibility to modify the list entry for export Export1
I’ve added Affinity Phot and Publisher, but the entrys are not under the list arrow.
I see them only within the “Export to application” dialog
Export2
It’s ok but not fine

Hallo Guenterm,

The current behavior is logical. Export auf Festplatte, Export nach Applikation, Export nach Flickr and Export nach Lightroom are quite different activities triggering a very different section of the code. For example, Export nach Lightroom manages the roundtrip between DPL and Adobe Lightroom and this is something very different from merely sending a file to an external application.

It’s true that it would have been possible to eliminate the Export nach Applikation entry from the menu and to replace it with one entry for each external application that you want to use but this raises a question : how would you select the applications that should appear in this menu ? This would mean adding another dialog elsewhere where you could define all these external applications (like in Lightroom). I have nothing against this but this is a different design choice that would be more adapted to those people using many external apps.

MfG.

Hi Patrick,
that I don’t understand.
I can select every app with the search function and they are within the “Export to application”, but only export to Flickr and Lightroom are dircectly in the list arrow.
I don’t need Flickr. Lightroom only soemtimes.
But I need Affinity apps very often. But for these apps i have to go over Export to Application, and the choose which one.
For me it’s time delay in workflow.
And why I can’t delete Flickr? Export3
Export4

[quote=“Guenterm, post:3, topic:12868”]
And why I can’t delete Flickr?[/quote]

I don’t think you can remove this. This appears to be hard coded. To be honest, my preference goes to the Lightroom implementation of external editing. Right-click on the image and Edit with… (or Open with… in Capture One), the list of possible external editors being configurable. While the current implementation in DPL is logical given the current UI design (which has been built stepwise), I admit that I’d prefer something else.

Grüsse aus Fontainebleau, Frankreich.

PS : In case you are wondering what’s the difference between Open with and Edit with (not implemented in Lightroom but - awkwardly - in Capture One) :

Open with… sends the unmodified RAW file to the external program.
Edit with… exports the image according to the specified parameters and sends the resulting exported file to the external application.

Hi Patrick,
many thanks for spending your time to my questions.
There are the possibilities to send the files in different ways to the applications
Export5

Viele Grüße nach Frankreich
salutations à la france

I thought Export is writing the image to disk, as an image in whatever extension available. And Export To is adding a program to be called after export which is opening with that image. It’s working with an intermediary diskfile. I don’t know how LR can send the image back.
In essence PL doesn’t send an image to an external program. It exports the image as a diskfile and calls another program to open that image. For a roundtrip the other program should do the same.

George

[quote=“George, post:6, topic:12868”]
I don’t know how LR can send the image back.[/quote]

The DPL installer installs the necessary plugins in Lightroom. They communicate with DPL in order to send the RAW file to and receive the DNG/TIFF/JPEG file from DPL. This is not only a matter of sending and receiving files, though. Additional code is needed to allow repeating the roundtrip as often as needed without losing settings. That’s the nice thing with this unique feature.

Unfortunately, not all users are aware of this possibility which is described here :

https://www.dxo.com/project/workflow-dxo-photolab-lightroom/
https://www.dxo.com/fr/project/workflow-dxo-photolab-lightroom/

I read it different.
One can install a dxo plugin in LR which is a simple Open with command. From within LR.. PL opens the mentioned raw disk file like normal.
After editing in PL you need an Export to command from within PL. A disk file is created and send to LR. This is a manual command from what I read.
What’s added in the LR plugin is that LR is dealing with these images in its catalogue system in a specific way.

George

To do that, there’s no need for a plugin :

1. Create a new text file named Edit in DPL.lua with a text editor and insert the following code (you can also download a copy from here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv2mm22fmnm98mu/Edit%20in%20%26DPL.lua?dl=0 ).

local LrApplication = import ‘LrApplication’
local LrTasks = import ‘LrTasks’
local catalog = LrApplication.activeCatalog()
local LrShell = import ‘LrShell’

local function openWithExternalProgram()
local programPath = “C:\Program Files\DxO\DxO PhotoLab 3\DxO.PhotoLab.exe”
local photo = catalog:getTargetPhoto()
if photo ~= nil then
local photoPath = photo:getRawMetadata(‘path’)
LrShell.openFilesInApp({photoPath}, programPath)
end
end

LrTasks.startAsyncTask(openWithExternalProgram, “openWithExternalProgram”)

1. Copy that file to C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Scripts

2. Launch (or relaunch) Lightroom.

3. The “Edit in DPL” command will appear in the Scripts menu of Lightroom (which is not available when no script has been added to the above mentioned folder). This command will send the currently selected file to DPL.

Also, the LR<=>DPL roundtrip is started from Lightroom by using the File | Plugin-extras | Transfer to DxO Photolab 3 menu which is managed by the plugins mentioned in my previous message. This code does more than merely transferring files.

Note that the above script can be modified to work with any other external program accepting a file path on the command line.

Well, I guess we’re slightly off-topic now… :zipper_mouth_face:

I was refering to what you wrote “manages the roundtrip between DPL and Adobe Lightroom”.
It are still 2 manual actions, with or without scripts. What’s added is that the image send from PL is added to the catalogue system of LR in a specific way.

George