PureRaw2 crashes iMac with eGPU

DXO Pur Raw 2 v 2.2.2
Demo mode.
Load a raw file. Press Process.
OS announces GPU was not properly disconnected.
10 seconds later… kernel panic.

After unplugging the eGPU and rebooting, DXO Raw2 demo works fine.

Big Sur 11.6.6, iMac Pro,
Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Box 750e
Radeon RX 6900 XT

I’m getting nearly the exact same result in both DxO Pure Raw version 1 & 2

DxO Pure Raw 2 v2.2.1 /Build 3 /64 bit (Latest release for Mac (Nov 3rd, 2022)
Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Box 750
Radeon RX 6800 XT

When processing Raw Photos in PR with the RX 6800 XT selected, the eGPU disconnects immediately and the finder crashes.
This does not happen if I have my BlackMagic Vega 56 eGPU plugged in and selected. This crash and disconnect only happens with the RX 6800 XT selected as the GPU.

I emailed DxO support 2 days ago and they’ve yet to address my ticket - lovely, right?

Pure Raw is the ONLY application that has an issue with the new eGPU. All other GPU capable apps work just fine with the eGPU selected. Adobe LR, Photoshop, FCP, etc.
When using those apps the eGPU selected, I’m seeing the eGPU being utilized in the GPU History monitor from Apple’s activity monitor.

System specs:
iMac 2019 5K 27" | 8 core i9 3.6 GHz | 64GB Ram | Mac OS v12.6

I tried to introduce my friend Gaby to the wonders of DxO, specifically Pure Raw, but she experienced a similar issue with her new Mac and had to uninstall. Will try to find out more about the hardware.

I’ve isolated this issue to PureRaw itself and NOT the system. The eGPU disconnect issue only occurs in both PureRaw versions 1 & 2. No other application is having any issue using the eGPU.

Examples:
Lightroom
Photoshop
Premier Rush
FCP
Topaz DeNoise AI
Topaz Sharpen AI
VideoProc Converter
All of these applications are running just fine using the eGPU and the Mac Activity stats confirm this.

I am currently running running Mac OS 12.6.1. Yesterday I created a new boot partition and performed a fresh new install of just Mac OS 12.6.1 and PureRaw 1& 2. Same thing… eGPU disconnects the moment I begin processing raw photo files in the PR application.
Then I upgraded the OS to Ventura and tried again. Same thing as before.

Yesterday (Nov 8th) I emailed DxO support again after not getting a response back to my original support ticket that I filed Nov. 1st.

This is response I finally received:

Riley (Support & Assistance)

Nov 8, 2022, 5:21 PM GMT+1

Greetings,

We are awaiting a response from our developers, and will contact you as soon as we receive an answer. Thank you for your patience.

regards,

Riley - DxO Labs Support Team

Nov 8, 2022, 2:01 PM GMT+1

It has now been 8 days since I emailed your support team about PureRaw (Both versions 1.5 and your latest 2.x) causing my eGPU (AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT in a Sonnet e750 enclosure) to disconnect and then crash my OS (Mac OS 12.6 Monterey).

I can state unequivocally that no other application or system function causing the eGPU disconnect. I have isolated issue this to PureRaw and can reproduce the error every time I attempt to use PureRaw with my eGPU selected.

Again, my System specs are:
iMac 19,1
8-Core i9 3.6 GHz
64 GB Ram
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT in a Sonnet e750 enclosure.

I would appreciate a response as to how to resolve the issue of PureRaw disconnecting the eGPU

Nov 1, 2022, 7:28 PM GMT+1

I am having an issue with Pure Raw crashing the Finder & disconnecting my eGPU as soon as I begin processing RAW Files. This results in a hard crash of the Finder forcing me to hard reboot the system.
This happens when my eGPU is selected to process the files.
I am reading that other users are experiencing the same issue and I would like to know how to resolve this issue.
My HW is:
iMac 2019 5K i9, 64GB Ram Sonnet 750 eGPU with Radeon RX 6800XT

This royally ticks me off since the entire reason I spent $1K on a top notch eGPU is so that I could process 500-1500 RAW photos at a time - in far less time than my old Vega 56 could. Only to come and find out that DxO’s PR doesn’t work… That’s no bueno!

Here’s an update on her hardware from my Mac-loving friend. I guess this is connected to the same issue as everyone else has. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Has anyone had any news on this issue? Any contact from Support?

Hi. Did you manage to resolve this?

My issue has not been resolved. DxO support dodged my support question with the ole, “We’ll check with our developers” bit. Essentially they gave me the, “Don’t call us, we’ll call you” reply.

After looking at your profile, I believe I know what your issue is. It’s been my understanding that all Silicon based Chipsets (M1 ->) are not compatible with eGPUs.
Here is one of many references available:

You may be hosed on this one. However in my case, my system clearly falls in the realm of supported architecture.

On a side note, I spent a good deal of time thinking about Apple products and I’m considering what I have previously considered unthinkable in my past 30 years of being strictly a Mac User…

I’m on the verge of building a high end dual GPU PC. I don’t like where Apple is going with their Silicon Chipsets and more importantly, I’m sick over the fact that multiple reports are showing Apple is continuing to rely on Chinese suppliers that use Uyghur slave labor.
That’s a deal breaker for me…

A secondary consideration to the supplier slave labor issue is Apple continues it’s quest to manufacture it’s products so that the end user cannot upgrade components. A great example is the iMac line beginning in 2020 where they began soldering once user replaceable components the Motherboard (they began soldering the NVMe blade & SSD HD to the MB so that the user is FORCED to buy a more expensive unit depending on their needs).

In my case, In 2019 I had purchased a stock 5K i5-6 core | 8GB Ram | 1 TB Fusion Drive | Radeon 570.
Over a year’s time, I upgraded it’s components as my needs grew.

1. I added 64GB Ram
  2. I replaced the stock 1TB 3.5" HD with a 2TB 2.5" SSD
  3. I replaced the stock 32GB NVMe blade with a Fledging 1TB NVMe
  4. I upgraded the stock 6-core i5 processor to an 8-core i9.

Apple has gone all in with their Planned Obsolescence model of business.
Gone are the days where Mac users had the option to upgrade components as needed.

In my opinion, Apple epitomizes the saying, “If you don’t die the hero, you live long enough to be the villain”.

Many thanks for this update, my friend is finally getting some support on her issue and I’ll post here when it’s resolved.

An update to my November post where PureRaw crashes when the AMD 6800XT (eGPU) is selected.
It’s been 90 days since I raised my support ticket and still nothing from DxO lab support. At last response they were still dodging the issue by “deferring to their developer”. As a matter of fact, they ignored my last followup email a couple of weeks ago.
DxO has essentially given me the ole, “Don’t call us, we’ll call you” routine.
Quite the pathetic support response in my opinion.

1 Like