PureRAW, PSC and PCD - Any relationship?

Hi,

Are the new “Protect saturated colors” and “Preserve Color Details” features affecting in any way the output of PureRAW ? Be it in a hidden way.

Thanks.

Whatever PureRaw does, it does so in a way that is neither transparent to nor influenceable by the user.
Colours and histograms looked different in output files when I compared 16 bit TIFFs from DPR3 and DPL6. So what is the answer to your question? It’s Yes. In the sense that we can control it in DPL but can’t in DPR.

DPR is like Coca-Cola. We’ll never know the recipe. Nevertheless, we can love it - or not.

1 Like

I was about to comment the same thing, yes. Good answer.

As Platypus mentioned, its not clear if its there or not. Personally I would think its exclusive feature to PhotoLab at the moment. I think DXO imagined PureRAW to be a mere converter, so when one creates TIFF or JPEG one can choose probably color profile, while Lindear DNG is or should be more or less intact in terms of color, since its still meant to be developed in third party app.

Manual for PureRAW only mentions this:

Choosing the output format

The best output format for your processed images will depend on how you want to use them. There are 3 options, though you can select all of them to create different format versions of your image all at once:

DNG: Generates a Linear DNG file that retains the characteristics and reversibility of the original RAW file, allowing it to be further edited in a third-party program such as Lightroom Classic, or Camera Raw.

JPG: generates a JPEG file for immediate use or distribution. If you select this format, a slider lets you adjust the compression, and therefore the quality, of the output file; the default setting is 90, on a scale of 10 to 100.

TIFF: generate a high quality TIFF file for retouching work in another application such as Photoshop. When you select this format, you can choose from one of the following options:
8-bit, for a lighter weight TIFF file.
8-bit compressed – the TIFF file is compressed to save on storage space.
16-bit, for a maximum quality file that can be corrected and retouch further, although without the flexibility and reversibility of DNG.

https://userguides.dxo.com/pureraw/en/process-photos/

Thanks platypus and MSmithy.

For the DNG format, I tend to think like MSmithy. Since the file is supposed to be (re) developed in another RAW processor, colors should not be affected.

For TIFF and JPEG exports, well, the Coca-Cola syndrome applies, I agree. Maybe we should ask DxO directly ? Another example of the lack of technical details. The more sophisticated features are added to a software package, the more explanations are needed about what happens to our photos and about whether interactions between these features may or may not occur. It’s not a request to make patented algorithms public, it’s just the need to have a good knowledge of the workflow when such or such feature is activated (or not).

Hello Patrick

For dngs, it seems likely that they have no color space… apart from that of the sensor.

For the “Coca cola” recipe of the jpegs and tiffs, the only thing I could verify was that their ICC profile matches the “Original” option in the PhotoLab export. That is to say the choice made in the camera for the jpegs. So basically sRGB or Adobe RGB.