Prompt support for Apple Silicon

You need to remember that most “universal” apps are presently created by allowing iOS apps to run on macOS, not the other way round.

Translating a WIMP (windows, icons, mouse, pointer) app to a touchscreen app is nowhere near as easy as the reverse.

Well, during the event some developers reported, it took them 2 hours to make their program run natively on Apple Silicone. Seems if you are already developing your app in Xcode it is literally set a checkmark and recompile. Frankly I don’t know which suite you use to develop the Mac version of PL4.
So probably much less work than integrating new features and time spent well, as PL4 currently has some perfomance issues on lesser machines. So Apple is helping out to fix this with the M1, you just have to accept the offer by making your software run natively. :wink:

erm, so what were these apps that could be reconfigured so easily? Are you even comparing like for like? i.e. a graphic intense program was done this way so therefore PL4 can be?

“Well, during the event some developers reported, it took them 2 hours to make their program run natively on Apple Silicone. Seems if you are already developing your app in Xcode it is literally set a checkmark and recompile.”

So although you don’t know how PL 4 is developed, you know it will involve less work than adding new features? How?

“Frankly I don’t know which suite you use to develop the Mac version of PL4.
So probably much less work than integrating new features and time spent well”

I am sure you would be happy (and many others too) if PL4 went to M1 immediately, perfectly understandable in fact. We all have our ‘wants’ after all!

Not so sure that those using Apple who aren’t planning to leap immediately to M1, nor Windows users, would find trading focus on M1 for work on upgrades and fixes such a great deal.

I think DXo supporting Apple silicon is a question of when, not if-> If you are going to continue to supporting Macs as they all migrate to Apple Silicon.

I got the new 13’’ MBP M1 last week and DXo Photo Lab4 to my surprise runs very well, and the GPU use is significantly faster exporting deepPRIME than the 13 MBP 2018 Intel I have.

But this program would even fly more if it was native and use the ANE neural processor for deepPrime. Please Dxo support this. At least a first pass recompile of the code to native and keep using the GPU metal calls shouldn’t be overwhelmingly impossible. Porting deepPrime to the ANE would be more involved I guess.

Anyhow to everyone considering buying one of these Macs for DXo Photo Lab - do it. Program runs a bit faster than Intel MBP 13’’ 2018 overall, and vastly faster for exports with deepPrime. I guess those with a discreet 16’’ ATI GPU would still export faster.

2 Likes