"Processing Failed for an Unknown Reason" - error message

Like installing a new version of the OS before its had all its kinks ironed out :woozy_face: :wink:

1 Like

We could have a workaround but we are trying to get feedback from Apple to know if the time we’d spend on our side to do (and then later undo) the workaround would be wasted in case a fix is coming in next macOS version.

The crash depends on the processed area, so it may work or not depending on the size and position of your crop, just like @mikemyers noticed.

Because it would have been significant additional work and that DeepPRIME is always better (assuming it doesn’t crash). Even for speed, in the future Macs will most likely always have a Neural Engine so it’ll remain much faster than PRIME.

Indeed you could. Please note that although this does not look to be happening at the moment, we’re not 100% sure that with full images, the bug may not also happen in some specific cases.

There are so many other bugs in Monterey that I expect there will be a software update very soon. I’m now running Version 12.0.1, and hopefully within the next week or so, we will get an update. There are a lot of things not yet available in Monterey (many screen savers are broken, and the ability to use an iPad for a second screen hasn’t been turned on), because the code isn’t finished. I’m sure Apple wants to get all of this done soon - I’m glad they released Monterey now, rather than next month, but we just need to find work-arounds for a while longer.

Fair enough. hopefully you get something useful from them sooner rather than later.

Cool. I didn’t expect an issue but wondered whether the double export could introduce degraded quality.

Ultimately the images I have so far exported using ‘High Quality’ have been fine, but they weren’t noisy anyway. Should I feel the need for DeepPRIME I will just try the export and then crop method and see how it goes.

Not sure we will see anything that soon but Apple have recently seeded Beta 2 of 12.1 which is a fairly sizeable version jump from 12.0.1 it seems.
Hopefully it brings some good news for the issues we are having.

Yeah I tried every variation of it seems that no matter if you do a lot of corrections or not at all the problem still exist.

Are you adding a crop of any sort to your edits?

I am only seeing failed DeepPRIME exports when I have applied a crop.
Admittedly however those images had minimal editing done so that’s not to say I wouldn’t have issues with more heavily edited images whether they have been cropped or not.

If @Lucas is still checking in on this thread can you confirm whether DxO have tried the recently seeded MacOS Monterey 12.1 Beta and if so has it solved the DeepPRIME/loupe issue?

Unfortunately it’s not fixed yet, however we just got feedback from Apple and they’re on it.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed sooner rather than later then. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Did anyone ever find a resolution… so disheartening to have the same problems on unresolved since I switched from Big Sur …

It’s not a “resolution”, but until this is fixed I just switch to PRIME if the DeepPRIME doesn’t work. Apparently Apple has a long list of things to work on, regarding completing Monterey.

In our tests we do not reproduce anymore the crash with macOS 12.1 released this week. So you should be able to export with DeepPRIME and, in a coming update of PhotoLab 4 & 5, the loupe will be re-enabled.

2 Likes

Actually it is macOS Monterey 12.0.1

I need to do the update later today - great that Apple has fixed this for us.
Thanks for the update, @Lucas

The updated and fixed version is macOS 12.1.
macOS 12.0.1 is the version for which DeepPRIME loupe/crop can crash and which was released last October.

Oops, I’m wrong. Yes, just as you wrote.
Sorry…

Big Smile - PL5 and DeepPRIME now work properly for me. Glad this is fixed!!

1 Like

Excellent.

Haven’t updated yet as been away but have a few pictures that I will be working on shortly so can do some testing too.

Quick update.

Only processed a couple of images but all exported with DeepPRIME applied with no issues.

Was slow however. That’s reason enough to upgrade the computer right?!

Absolutely!

Which computer are you going to buy? :slight_smile:

lol. After just getting married I’ll rebuild the bank balance a little first.

I’m heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem however so it’ll be another MacBook Pro but much more powerful than what I’m currently using (think I’ve mentioned before but this one was never meant to be used as it’s ended up being).

I am 40 soon though so birthday present to myself maybe :rofl:

1 Like

Congratulations on your marriage !

1 Like