"Processing Failed for an Unknown Reason" - error message

George, I don’t understand - I have had so many versions of this file, trying so many things to track it down, that I don’t know which version you are seeing. I originally did apply the watermark, but at some point I thought I cleared out all the history and started over, as I described. I suspect that some combination of processes, especially including DeepPRIME pushes things beyond some limit, and the process fails.

I took a very late sunset photo, almost a night photo, finished editing it, with DeepPRIME on. After a few minutes, “DxOPhotoLab5 quit unexpectedly”.

I got the full crash report, highlighted it, and saved it in a file. I’ll post the file below, but it is very long. I’m not sure what the best way is to pass this on to DxO. The report is sent automatically to Apple. To the right person, this should explain why PL5 crashed. Here goes…

Nope, I can’t attach an “.rtf” file here.

This copy should work, but it is very, very long:

Nope, too long for a reply in this forum. I saved it as an ‘rtf’ file. If someone at DxO tells me what to do, I’ll send it to them.

Getting DeepPrime failed exports on every attempt now.
Not impressed.
Sorry its not much to go on as all the photos contain my children so not wanting to share publicly but this is disappointing.

Too late to invoke the 14 day ‘return’ too as I’ve used the upgrade key now as on testing everything went fine but had this issue been present I would have held off for now.

If only Monterey had been released sooner it would have saved this hassle, but clearly to me at least the MacOS update and DeepPrime don’t play nicely. Shame.

Suggestion - until DxO and Apple get this sorted out, just use PRIME instead of DeepPRIME. Unless you are making wall-size prints, nobody will notice the difference.

If DeepPRIME doesn’t get fixed for even a month or two, which it probably will, you still get all the benefits of Using PhotoLab 5, which (at least to me) are far more essential than DeepPRIME. If you really need DeepPRIME, your PL4 will still work perfectly unless you deleted it from your computer, and if you did that, you can re-install it anyway until PL5 is corrected.

Again, for me, the Control Line function is by far the biggest improvement in PL5, and I haven’t had any issues with that. If I knew everything then, that I do now, I would gladly still have gotten the PL5 update.

I’m hoping someone from DxO gets around to telling me how to send them the highly detailed Apple error report, but there’s a good chance they already have done that on their own.

Back to me - I have no intention of un-installing Monterey, which has also broken my Apple desktop screensaver - Apple is aware of this, and they will be correcting it. I hope they will also correct whatever it is that “broke” DeepPRIME. …just my own opinions here.

Well. That’s issue number 2. I Can’t. its greyed out and completely unable to be selected. its High Quality or High Quality at the minute. Reinstall fails to sort that too. Either I’m missing something or things are broke.

I skipped PL4 as I’m now shooting Fuji X-Trans and its only just supported in PL5 so I can only go back to PL3 which would lose me the Fuji support.
So whilst I do like PL and what it offers with both +Prime being un-selectable and DeepPrime failing it does feel a little bit like a waste of money as whilst it may not happen I am just waiting for something else to not work.
Whilst I am moaning(!) I have also experienced the control point ‘Vibrancy’ glitch which completely messes up the picture and only deleting the control point or adding/subtracting 1 brings the picture back. That has been raised elsewhere though so I wont derail this thread but suffice to say I am disappointed compared to my previous PL3 experience which is why I came back once Fuji support arrived.

Which computer are you using? Which “chip”, Intel or Apple? How much RAM memory, and which CPU.

If this was happening to me, I would probably be calling Apple Tech Support, who can track down any internal Apple errors. They will probably have you go into Safe Mode on your Mac to check things.

Which Fuji camera are you using? Do you have your Fuji software doing anything to the image?

Suppose you shut down your computer, and re-start it, then format your memory card in your camera, and take a single image of something very simple, maybe a picture of a tree, in broad daylight. When you open it in PL5 are both PRIME and DeepPRIME initially grayed out? If you attempt to select PRIME, do you get any warning messages?

Maybe download and install XRG, leave it running, and do a “screen capture”. Then start PL5 and do another screen capture. Then open this test image, and do another screen capture.

What Preset are you using? Try it with the default, but not correcting for lens or camera issues. You don’t want PL5 to know any of those settings. Turn on the indicators for blown shadows or highlights - do you find any errors on your image from this kind of problem?

Are you certain you are working on a RAW image? If not, you would get that error.

Did you use any different app on the file before opening in PL5?
If so, read here: https://forum.dxo.com/t/prime-and-deepprime-not-working/15661

One last thought. It could be your camera. Please download one of my Fuji files that I posted it my Fuji thread, but do NOT (yet) copy the .dop file. Open it in your PL5 and see if PRIME and DeepPRIME are grayed out. If they are, restart your computer, and replace your .dop file with the one I posted, and again check for something being grayed out.

If it opens properly, let us know.

If so, before you do anything else, see if it processes correctly with PRIME.

If so, then try it with DeepPRIME, and see if that processes correctly.

Also, I thought of something else. Please reply to this thread, and upload a file you can post in public, and let the rest of us try to figure it out. Just take a simple file looking out your window, of anything.

Hello,

Please note that PRIME is not supported with Xtrans sensors. So as mentioned in "Processing Failed for an Unknown Reason" - error message - #18 by Lucas , unless you can switch back to macOS 11 or have a usable GPU, and until Apple or DxO provide a fix, you’re stuck with HQ only. The bug lies in macOS 12 so hopefully it should only be a matter of time.

Best regards,
Lucas

I haven’t tried my Fuji since updating my computer to Monterey, which means I may have the same issue now that @Lost_Manc has. I’ll try this later today. Monterey was released with several functions turned off for now - hopefully it won’t be a very long wait. In the meantime, I am thrilled that PhotoLab can now process my Fuji X-Trans images. I appreciate all the work you guys did to make this possible. I don’t remember being bothered much by noise in my Fuji images anyway, and now I can use all the other tools in PhotoLab 5.

~ PL5 DEEP PRIME ALSO FAILING EXPORT WITH WINDOWS 10 ~

I’ve only tried on a couple photos, but so far, Deep Prime fails every time on export with:

• PL5
  • 64bit Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
  • i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
  • Radeon 540 graphics board.

If you have my OS and graphics card and PL5, does Deep Prime work for you?

Deep Prime works with PL5 if I use CPU Only, and it works with PL4 with graphics processor.

I submitted a ticket and log files to DxO.
Heard back the log files don’t reveal the cause, and that I should try a fresh download and reinstall with antivirus turned off.
Still failed.
DxO would like me to install an app that’ll check my registry for hijacking and send that report.
Not going to install that.
I’m guessing DxO will fix this soon using other feedback.

No problems here with Win 10 Pro 64 bit version 1909 with Core i7-4810MQ @2.80Ghz and an older NVIDIA Quadro K2100M Graphics card.

And if that’s the case why is that not stated anywhere around the talk of Fujifilm X-Trans support on the product page?
If it’s there I cant find it or missed it.
Beta or not if its was a known ‘issue’ then it should have been made clear that PRIME would not be supported especially as it seems you were aware that things were about to get worse once MacOS 12 was released. Again would it have hurt to send a warning out to Mac users that it was highly likely the update would reduce functionality in DxO PL5?

Yes PL5 is more than just PRIME & DeepPRIME but its still frustrating to buy something and find in a week it has become less than it was.

Regardless of this being Apples fault or DxO’s a warning wouldn’t have gone amiss. It cant be hard to identify the users who run the software on a Mac.

They aren’t. Or at least mine don’t seem bad but its still annoying (to me) that the software now functions less than it did when I tried it (PRIME notwithstanding as I didn’t check that and didn’t notice at the time it was greyed out and just tried DeepPRIME instead) and then subsequently purchased it.

I guess I’m too excited by the major improvements, that it now works with Fuji, and that I’ve got this new Control Line tool to help my edits.

If you don’t want to, that’s OK, but I’d like you to take a photo with your Fuji, and then send it to me to test.

I just tried this with my X100f. I took a photo from my balcony, transferred it to my Mac mini, opened the image in PL5. As you noted, PRIME was turned off/grayed-out, so I used DeepPRIME which is my goal anyway. It processed with no issues.

_DSF4572 | 2021-11-06.raf (48.1 MB)

_DSF4572 | 2021-11-06.raf.dop (11.6 KB)

I suppose I should take it again, being more careful about the settings, which gave me an underexposed image, ISO 400, f/10, and 1/1000th shutter, in bright sunlight and shadows, but all I wanted to know is whether it worked.

Please download this image, and edit in PL5 on your computer, doing no additional editing, and see if it works or not. I would like to do the same thing, with your image, if you let me.

Same image, again with DeepPRIME, but also using Smart Lighting:

…and the new .dop file:
_DSF4572 | 2021-11-06.raf.dop (12.8 KB)

I took the second DOP.

The Smart Lighting zone for highlight is better placed over the brighter building towards the left. This achieves a better balance.

Capture d’écran 2021-11-07 à 10.48.52

I also raised the intensity to Medium and added a gentle tone curve.

I also played with the colour wheel, to lower the saturation on the red roof tops, and in the sky, which oversaturated when I applied the tone curve.

DOP file…

_DSF4572 | 2021-11-06.raf.dop (26,8 Ko)

Aha! So all it has to do is include the brightest spots, they don’t need to fill most of the selection? Obviously it works - will remember for future.

I need to take an entire day, and learn the color wheel as well as I understand the other tools you’ve helped me learn.

The purpose of this photo was just to quickly take “a photo” to see what PL5 did with it, for @Lost_Manc to try - to see if his Mac computer would accept DeepPRIME which it doesn’t for images he takes with his Fuji. Hopefully when he reads this, he can try both of our .dop files, mine with a minimal amount of processing, and yours with additional processing. I think that the more processing there is, the more likely DeepPRIME will fail, but that’s just speculation. When images do fail, and I remove most of my processing, sometimes DeepPRIME then works again. Not very scientific I guess…

How come, that a camera with roughly 24 MPix produces a raw-file of 48 MB?
Does it include a huge jpg?

Interestingly, the pic shows very little blown out highlights – or to state it differently, the cam did a good job.

So I haven’t had time to take a picture. its pitch black here so ill grab something tomorrow however we can probably get to the bottom of something here without the need for me to take one and post.

I downloaded your originals and both @Joanna and your edited .dop files and I can confirm I can export all 3 without any issues at all.

For reference I just exported to the ‘Standard JPEG’ profile exactly as it was set up by DxO.

This got me wondering if your X100f wasn’t an X-Trans sensor and maybe that was the issue but a quick search confirmed that not to be the case and both your X100f and my X-T4 use an X-Trans sensor.

From there I backed up one of my .dop files to a picture I know fails with DeepPrime and started from scratch with it.

The tests I did were as follows…

1. Straight export with only DeepPrime. Export was successful.
  2. Smart Lighting and DeepPrime. Again a successful export.
  3. Smart Lighting with ClearView Plus and DeepPrime. Again another successful export.
  4. As per 3 but with a simple 1x1 crop. Bingo. Export fails.

From here I went back to your files and also applied a simple 1x1 crop. Export immediately fails.

So if you or @Joanna if she feels like joining in with this can apply a 1x1 or indeed any other crop to your file and see what happens then we maybe able to point the finger at ‘cropping’ being the culprit in the failed exports. As to why I don’t know and I’m not saying other edits might not result in a failed export but as it stands that’s the first thing that caused the export to fail and I currently don’t have the time to keep trying individual things.

I am definitely interested in whether the crop makes the export fail for others.

The X-T4 produces roughly 58MB from a 26MP sensor.

I am running a 2019 MacBook Pro with Catalina and have never had any problem exporting.

If I remember correctly, I selected non-compressed. It shouldn’t include a huge jpg, as I only selected raw images. Maybe this is because of something to do with the x-trans sensor? I noticed this last time, but just accepted it. Here’s what I just found, after doing a search:

From the internet:

the files are larger on your Fuji because they don’t compress their RAW files like Nikon or any other camera manufacturer does . Whish Fuji will implement this in a future update otherwise you’ll have to learn to live with it

Also:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2020/04/20/fujifilm-x-trans-is-it-really-all-that-different

Just for the heck of it, I will try for a good Fuji photo of the next nice sunset. With sunsets now being an hour later than they did while I was on Daylight Savings Time, it will be easier for me to so. I’ve always loved my Fuji, but felt limited by the fixed lens - but that made it great for a walkabout camera, much nicer than my other cameras. X100f = small, light, skinny, and very capable. It also has an electronic shutter, something I’ve never yet used:
https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/stories/advanced-month-3-motion-9-electronic-shutter/

Nikon has taken this to a new level in their Z9 cameras - I guess I ought to check what Fuji has done, but I doubt I will ever give up my X100f because it doesn’t make me use a touch-screen, and I can use normal camera controls.

Right. the issue is isolated to macOS Monterey I believe so that will I guess be why.

I have just created a virtual copy of a picture I know has quite a few edits applied but removed the crop and turned on DeepPrime and the file exports just fine.
Back to the cropped master and it wont export with DeepPrime turned on so for me and my bit of testing its the ‘crop’ that’s ‘breaking’ DeepPrime exports.

Again if @mikemyers can apply a crop to the files he uploaded for me to check and see if he gets a failed export that should point to the issue being both crop and Monterey related as iirc Mike is also running the latest MacOS.
If he also gets failures then that’s great in so much as it rules out the issue being isolated to me and my machine but also strange as to why something as simple as cropping the image would cause the failure when much more complex edits don’t.

For reference and because I don’t think I’ve mentioned im using:

2019 MacBook Pro now running Monterey 12.01
1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Ram
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB

So certainly no power house editing rig but it was never meant to be used for this and circumstances have just dictated that this is what I’m using at present. Its does however still meet the minimum requirements to run PL5.

Easy enough to try - I took the same image, and cropped it quite a bit so just the middle part was still showing, then made sure DeepPRIME was back on, and exported with no problem. Here’s the .dop file and the resulting image.

The only thing unusual is that I’ve been noticing I no longer get notifications when the export has finished, as I used to.

Assuming you can download my file, you can try the same thing yourself.

_DSF4571 | 2021-11-06.raf (48.2 MB)

_DSF4571 | 2021-11-06.raf.dop (11.8 KB)

It’s still an ugly image, and I haven’t yet tried Joanna’s improvements, as the only purpose of this image is for you to download it and see if you get the same results. For me, doing the crop made no difference.