Printing edited pictures

Hello,

I’m new to photo editing and pretty clueless. I bought DXO PL3 and I’ve been able to create the pictures I want.

I saved them as TIFF files which are supported by printing machines found in stores etc. However my edited photos will not load on the terminals. Can I actually print edited pictures? Do I need to save them in a specific manner?

If anyone can explain why I might have this problem thank you for any help.

A first thought is “size”. I have tiff files created in DXO whith i.e 250.MB. Have a look at the size of your files. I doubt that the terminals will accept any size.
Have the same file also processed as a jpg and see if that works.

You can print directly from PL.
What program do you use to print the tiff?

George

PS.
I now understand you’re going to the store with something as an usb stick.

When you say “terminals”, I assume you mean those machines in supermarkets, etc that print from a memory stick/card.

In which case, I doubt if they read TIFF files - most of them are expecting either RAW or JPEG.

1 Like

as @Joanna already mentioned, jpegs might be the better file type for your first trials. I’d also set color space to sRGB in the export dialog. This might get you colours closer to what you saw on your screen.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Thanks for the colour space tip. I’ll try that out.

TIFF files were accepted but I had to change the file from 16bit to 8bit. I don’t know what this means in terms of quality. I’ll find out when they arrive (I had to use the online service as the local store has had to close for 4 weeks.)

Also decided to print as JPEG to compare but I read that the quality is lower than TIFF.

16bit files can record 65,536 levels of tonality for each of RGB; 8 bit can only record 256.

This means that smooth graduations of tone in an 8bit image will be a lot less smooth than those in a 16bit.

Saving 16 bit TIFFs is useful if you intend to use these files for further processing in applications that cannot handle raw files.

8 bit images will give you enough quality for printing or displaying images on a computer or tv display. Most output devices don’t differentiate more than 8 bit per color channel too.

JPEG is intended to reduce file size which costs a bit of quality depending on the quality setting you select on file export. JPEG can get much smaller than TIFFs if you accept the quality loss.

Note: filename-30 means that quality was set to “30” on export.

The baseline

• always keep your original raw files
  • export as 16 bit TIFF as an intermediate file for further processing
  • export as JPEG for slideshows, printing etc.