Prime and DeepPrime Not Working

Apparently photos processed in other editors like Lightroom can’t be processed in Photolab because the edits don’t work. Prime and DeepPrime cannot be applied to any photo from Lightroom. Why?

Hello @amazme1 and welcome to the Forum,

DeepPrime and Prime can only be applied to RAW images. Which warning do you see when you mouse over the disabled buttons?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

A small number of PhotoLab tools can only be applied to raw files, PRIME and DeepPRIME are among them.

Mark

What you say is true but what i was told by support is that once an image is processed by another app like Lightroom, Prime and DeepPrime will not work. This app was built to only work with an unprocessed raw image.

Not strictly true. PhotoLab will work with jpegs and tiffs as well as RAW files; it’s just that certain adjustments are only available whilst the image is being demosaiced from RAW.

For example: distortion based on the camera/lens module, PRIME and DeepPRIME noise reduction, vignetting based on the camera/lens module, lens sharpness and chromatic aberration based on the camera/lens module

All the rest can be used on other image file types.

1 Like

An app that only partially works because of its design is crippled. The sale of this type of app must state its limitations so unsuspecting buyers understand what they are buying. I bought an app I thought would process any photo in my Lightroom library and was not told of the limitations. I deserve a full refund of my purchase price.

Stanley - with all due respect I completely disagree. You have the option of a one month free trial - it sounds to me you did not use that. There is tons of material on the website of DXO explaining the features. There is a ton of reviews about DXO on the web.

If I buy a truck and realize afterwards that I am disappointed because it is not a Ferrari - then blaming the truck company is just wrong.

2 Likes

Certain functions of DXO will not work on the processed image which comes out of Lightroom as i.e a tiff or jpg. What you can always do is put the raw file through DXO.

1 Like

Perhaps you can negotiate with DXO for a full refund, but do not blame them. It seems you purchased Photolab without first researching it’s capabilities and limitations, acceptable file types, and features. It also appears that you did not download the free 30-day trial before purchasing. If you had you would have found out immediately, at no cost to you, if PhotoLab did not meet your requirements.

Mark

1 Like

I have requested a refund. You have not replied. I will place this in dispute.

I think you miss something.
The basic is that Lightroom and DxO are raw converters. Their goal is to gain a rgb image out of the sensor data. The result is exported in a disk file like jpg or tiff. That file is passed to another program. So if you pass a file from Lightroom to Pl or between any other 2 programs that’s done with the use of an intermedeair file.
Just remember good, a raw file isn’t an image in the way we use an image to be: a rgb raster image.
Some tools need the raw data: the data in the raw file to convert that data to a rgb raster image. That data is not available in a jpg or tiff file, not even in a dng file.
A solution would be to start with Pl and than go further in Lr. But then you can’t make use of those tools in Lr that need the raw data itself.

This story is for all raw converters.

George

2 Likes

I would hardly call PL4 “crippled”. The Prime and especially Deep Prime NR technologies are bold new innovations designed to operate on RAW files the likes of which no other RAW processor can touch. It is a RAW processor after all, just like Lightroom. I’ve never used Lightroom but am sure there are features that require RAW data for them to operate properly. As others have suggested, try using PL4 first as your RAW processor and you might just be pleasantly surprised.

If you send the raw file from LR to DXO then you can use PRIME and DeepPrime. DXO provide a LR plugin to do this or you can use other LR plugins to send a raw file to an external editor.

Tried a raw file from LR and prime and deepprime was greyed out. Please process my refund.

All my files in LR are processed. I bought the upgrade to put them through deepPrime. Nothing in your sales videos said it doesn’t work. Please refund my purchase.

Stan Schwab

Hello @amazme1,

• Forum is not the right place to request a refund. You should do it via support.dxo.com

Regards,
Svetlana G.

What format is the file you processed in Lr? Unless you saved/exported from Lr as a dng, it can no longer be a raw file because raw files can never be changed.

Read my post. You can’t edit on a raw send from lr. It just doesn’t exist in lr.
Look at the name of the file in the image properties in pl.

George

1 Like

Fortunately for you I am not DXO - because I would not refund you

1 Like

The fact that you cannot do what you want is not because DxO crippled the app; it’s because of what the term “raw file” means. In this sense, every single photo-editing application is crippled in the same way.

Once ou have edited a raw image in Lightroom, saved it to another format (say, TIFF), and bring it into PL4, you’re obviously no longer dealing with a raw file. With only very few exceptions (e.g., file name, geotag info, etc.) raw files cannot be modified. You cannot open and edit a raw file and save it back as a raw file. Now if you didn’t know that Prime and DeepPrime only worked with raw files you haven’t done your homework. As others have pointed out, trial versions are available to let you test before you buy. If DxO is nice (and they are usually VERY nice) they’ll give you a refund. If they do, it’s because they extend you a courtesy, not because you have a legal or moral right to it.

1 Like