Prime and Deep Prime

I just got a new computer… Dell XPS with 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6, 32GB 16Gx2 DDR4 2933MHz, 512GB PCI M.2 +1TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD.
It’s much faster at processing files with Prime and Deep Prime than my old computer. But one thing I thought was strange was that The Deep Prime files take less time to process than the Prime ones…about 9 seconds vs 18 seconds. I expected the Deep Prime files to take longer. Does anyone know why they take less time? I’m not complaining…still faster than my old computer, I’m just curious.

DeepPrime is faster on computers with powerful GPU where the GPU is taken into account. Processing with CPU only should be faster with normal Prime. Both Prime and DeepPrime offer excellent results.

PS. Some have complained that despite having premium graphic cards, DeepPrime processing fails with an out of memory error. That’s not my experience but the mystery has not been resolved.

2 Likes

Thank you!

As Alec pointed out, it is all about the use of your graphic card’s GPU. DeepPRIME uses the GPU to speed up processing, but PRIME does not. Based on the numbers you stated, if you processed DeepPRIME using the computer’s CPU only rather than using the GPU, DeepPRIME would probably take closer to 30 seconds. You can test this yourself. If you go to the Performance tab in Preferences you can change the GPU setting to use the computer’s CPU only. Restart Photolab and test DeepPrime processing again. It should take around three times as long to complete. Don’t forget to set it back to using your graphic card’s GPU when you finish testing. :slight_smile:

Mark

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining it!

1 Like