Poor SW performance (getting worse with every update)

I just bought yesterday Photolab, and experiencing 4 minutes startup, I’ve already created a separate thread but it’s not visible yet, and also wrote to support and didn’t receive an answer yet, I haven’t been able to fix it, but in my case, if I look at the logs it has to do with licensing, and if I keep my internet off, it starts in 4 or 5 seconds.

Do you have the Windows 10 or the Mac version?

Mark

The latest version of Windows 10 and freshly installed after a complete format of the disk just a couple of weeks ago, at first I was thinking of some hardware issue although I use this system successfully for heavy 3D rendering, but the log show lines like this “(name: N/A - customer: N/A - contract: N/A): -17” the vast majority of error says -17 which I’m guessing is the error type, deleting the log before starting, shows that a single start it’s producing a 28.000 lines log where the vast majority are errors, and if the internet it’s off, starts fine, even switching off Antivirus and firewall still giving errors.

I don’t see these performance degradations, neither on startup nor during use.

Apart from fixing the startup/verification procedure, DxO could possibly publish a few hints on how to best operate DPL from a performance point of view. Adobe publishes something for Lightroom Classic:

The best order of Develop operations to increase performance (in Lightroom Classic) is as follows:

1. Spot healing.
  2. Geometry corrections, such as Lens Correction profiles and Manual corrections,
    including keystone corrections using the Vertical slider.
  3. Global non-detail corrections, such as Exposure and White Balance.
    These corrections can also be done first if desired.
  4. Local corrections, such as Gradient Filter and Adjustment Brush strokes.
  5. Detail corrections, such as Noise Reduction and Sharpening.

Note : Performing spot healing first improves the accuracy of the spot healing, and ensures the boundaries of the healed areas match the spot location.

Attn: @sgospodarenko

DxO user for ages… Old version files all over the place. So I decided to try your attack to find out where the startup problems are. Renamed the Photolab4 folder in …Appdata\Roaming\Phololab4 by appending “,old” to the folder name. Wow froze my system for quite a while as it was renaming all the files. Was about to reboot, but it finally finished… Then I did the same with the Documents\Photolab4 log folder. So basically a brand new install with no database, and history. Result, started up in less than 10 seconds. New Log file in Documents had 799 lines…Except for a few complaints about missing xmp files, I could not see any obvious failures.

New will see how it behaves…

Dick

I’ve tried to remove the Photolab folder from roaming, although mine was probably untouched as I basically did edit only a bunch of photos so far, I want to solve the issue before start learning and practising with the app.
The thing is that I’d like to be able to write these things in my own thread but after a day, it’s still not posted, and no answers from support about my ticket after more than a day, and the link to my request brings me to a page under maintenance which somebody else wrote it has been like this for more than 3 or 4 days. I hope somebody from the staff will notice this and start giving me some updates, I understand that troubleshooting may take time but it would be nice to have somebody at least knowledging me that they are looking into. The trial worked fine, I don’t get why now the log should say there is a problem with my license if at the end it’s going to accept it anyway and start, well 5 minutes later.

I did a screencast to show the process from installing fresh to licensing and restart the app, it took 27 minutes when the actual installation took only 2 max.

PS: Yes it’s definitely about licensing, not only the errors shows so, but also after licensing the app and seeing my license code appearing in the splash screen when I go to my DxO account it shows I’ve 0/3 activations.

If I recall correctly, when you are a new member of this forum it takes a couple of days before new threads are posted.

Mark

2 Likes

Thanks, at least I know that now, although when I post it was just saying that somebody would have check it before posting.

It should be posted Monday morning around 08:00 Zulu.

1 Like

Thank you, in the meantime, I also had an email from the support, and apologies for any inconvenience, I was just worried because the trial worked well, and then as soon as I bought it this issue started. Cross finger it’s nothing too bad.

1 Like

Hello,

Your case will be investigated via the support ticket as activation is a personal case and some additional info can be requested from you.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Thank you very much

1 Like