Please remove the Nix Collection button 'advert' from PhotoLab

Well, I’d say save your breath. If they continue like this DxO is doomed anyway. Their software has been stagnating for over a year now, all they have been introducing are very minor changes, a not even half baked, useless DAM functionality that is nothing more than a very limited search functionality, a few new presets in Nik and that’s it. I know there are also some newly supported cameras/ lenses and probably a few more minor things that I’ve failed to mention. But all in all that’s about it. Plus the very “clever” marketing driven move of combining two existing pieces of software (PhotoLab Essential and Nik) that absolutely don’t belong together (one is a raw converter, the other a collection of plugins, primarily for Photoshop) and advertise it as new and worthy of the very steep upgrade price. What’s more they’ve even managed to top that level of disregard for their customers by forcing existing users who have already spent hundreds of Euros for PhotoLab Elite and probably DxO Nik Collection 1 to pay again for a product they already own (the PhotoLab Essential license that comes with Nik 2).

As much as I like (or better liked) DxO PhotoLab it appears that it’s finally time to move on. I’m also looking for an exit strategy as I’m not willing to spend money on a software developed by a company that does not care about their customers and blatantly and systematically ignores their feed back.

If you want an positive example just look at Serif and Affinity photo. What they manage to integrate in a simple point update in the form of new features, bug fixes and improvements, all based on customer feed back, is simply impressive. If DxO managed to include even a fraction of that many improvements in their software we would not be having this conversation now.

8 Likes

The more I read and experience, the more I’m liking Capture One.

Cita I think the melding of Photolab Essential with Nik Collection is a desperate attempt to grow the overall business with these very popular add-ins despite the missteps

I’m a DXO Photolab Elite owner, I won’t buy Nik if I’m forced to pay for an useless Photolab license.

5 Likes

That is exactly my feeling. I’d gladly pay $30-$50 USD for NIK 2 in order to ensure there is future development. However, paying $99 USD for a license I don’t need, well, it just is not going to happen on my end. If DXO were to modify its offer for NIK 2 I’d grab it immediately.

2 Likes

Actually, the license for the PhotoLab Essential version, which is normally $129 USD, is free when you purchase the Nik Collection. You may or may not consider the Nik Collection a good value at the price they are charging, but you are not paying anything for the Photolab license.

Mark

Again, as I just explained, the $99 is for the Nik Collection license. The PhotoLab license is free.

Mark

If you think so, perfect. Reality is that DXO have make a mistake with this launch and they, in fact, losing revenue from orwners if Photolab

3 Likes

Suppose that someone who has used Nik bought at its original price might find it a good deal and stick to dpl after testing. Door opened for another happy dxo customer!

1 Like

I agree that DXO made some serious errors with this launch. However, with regard to the free licence for PhotoLab Essential, its not a question of me thinking so. PhotoLab is listed in the bundle as a free add-in. It alone normally sells for $129 USD. The bundle is a great deal for new users who are not committed to using some other raw processor, And you can update the license fo PhotoLab Elite for another $40 or so. For those of us who already have a license for PhotoLab, or users of other raw processors who have no need for PhotoLab, the deal is not very exciting.

Mark

3 Likes

Yes, well as that groups is probably the biggest audience and largest single contingent buying Nik v2, the whole manoeuvre feels like a giant finger shown to DxO’s most loyal userbase. Which annoys us and means we don’t go out and spread the word in a positive way which then turns around and slows growth more. It’s an own goal Mark. The sooner you can admit you have a problem, the more hope there is for your recovery.

Mark I agree with what you have laid out in several of your posts. The reason I am not upset with DxO is because they have in my opinion the tools that let me get the most out of my post processing. That is the reason I started with them and that is the reason I stay with them. I think it’s good too that they have Dan Hughes giving presentations on the NIK Collection. I look at that as an investment they made for the benefit of current users of the NIK Collection as well an introduction of the NIK capabilities to prospective users. PhotoLab and NIK Collection are tools I very much appreciate.

2 Likes

I’m really not that upset. Others here, like Alec, are much more frustrated and angry than I am. And they are angry for good reason. I, on the other hand, am more frustrated than annoyed that DXO keeps digging a hole for itself, and still seems unable to implement any significant enhancements or new functionality. Given the state of things and their past financial woes, I worry that they will not survive. I fell in love with Photolab the first day I downloaded it, 18 months ago. I would miss it very very much.

Mark

1 Like

I understand your point. When I was in the Navy an Admiral told our ship’s company “Don’t worry about things you can’t control”. For over 40 years I’ve tried to follow that advice and it works for me. The thing I like about DxO is they do put out a reliable software product and there are not a of software companies I can say that about. They have a good reputation. You’re a good fella Mark. I too rely very heavy on the DxO software in post processing.

Peace
Butch

I’ve tried. I’ve tried to keep the faith and I’ve taken every opportunity to promote DxO PL on social media. However I am losing faith. It’s not the button but the integrity that is in question here. In an act of desperation DxO has given the impression of over promising and under delivering, whilst at the same time compromising design integrity, and not taking care of the very people that have stuck with them through the bad times.

• The permanent button is in-app advertising and poor UI design. Here’s a quote from the Apple Human Interface Guidelines for OS X “macOS is designed to keep the current task clear and in focus. Visual contrast, translucency, and a large drop shadow make it easy to differentiate the active window from inactive windows. Interfaces defer to content and related controls. Throughout the system, adornments are subtle and appropriate.”

• The failure to provide an obvious differential for existing DxO software owners to upgrade Nik is clumsy and poor marketing. In software the winners are the best marketeers, and I’m concerned I’ve invested in a poor player

• I don’t doubt there are many under the cover platform improvements (especially for Nik) that have been needed. However, the marketing and delivery of significant functional additions in both PL and Nik appears to have just created resentment, so see my point above about marketing

DxO - we love you. We want you to win. But our faith is fading. Our personal credibility is on the line. Your integrity is being questioned. We want you to listen.

2 Likes

A bit too much “We” and “Our” instead of “I” and “My”.

Are you all still talking about a button??? :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

You are correct. I was being too presumptuous. I do not speak for you and many others. Thank you for taking the time to correct me.

As for your question about the button, I’m still rolling about laughing at your wit.

2 Likes

I am sure this button is not here to stay for a long time -until NIK gets a better integration with PL- yet this is the topic of the year I guess.

Sure they got the message about the button and the marketing mistakes with all those messages and it would be nice DxO acknowledge it instead of beeing silent. But hey we are not in a perfect world - yet.

Sorry I do not have much to share or teach you guys, I am learning PL+NIK from scratch, but isn’t it a better way to show DxO we care about them by spreading the love and showing them what we do with their softwares ?

3 Likes

Blockquote

I’m not sure if it was deliberate or not, but I’ve got an old copy of Nik (was it google originally? I forget - anyway that bit doesn’t mater). It fully integrates with PL2 - no new license required. That might help someone…

I’m not feeling the love from DxO right now. I’ve been held at (metaphorically) at gunpoint and forced to buy a second license of PhotoLab if I want to support or use Nik v2 after paying for Nik v1 before that.

Moreover, in-app paid advertising is a Rubicon. Aesthetics are at the core of the PhotoLab experience.

All DxO needs to do to calm the waters is:

1. offer to return half the Nik v2 upgrade money if the photographer agrees to give up the second PhotoLab license.
  2. put in a checkbox allowing users to hide Nik button.

Radio silence from DxO. Where is DxO? Counting their ill-gotten gains from this botched upgrade? Laughing at users’ helplessness? Indifferent?

If DxO hope that this episode will just subside on its own, they are wrong. Those of us who are angry will stay angry until these issues are addressed.

1 Like

I am in the same case than you : already have PL Elite + FP + VP + NIK 1 and now NIK 2, but I decided to pay, they did not force me to do so. I choose not to be angry because it will first be a bad thing for my own health and it will not help to go forward on the topic.

It do not mean I fully agree with DxO. I am watching carefully for the future releases.
Many think they know what is happening at DxO right now, but who really does ?

Have you send them a private email / request for what you are asking for ? Maybe if you can put your anger aside for a moment and ask nicely you could be surprised (or not).

Have a nice sunday Alec :sun_with_face:

3 Likes