Please remove the Nix Collection button 'advert' from PhotoLab

I am one of the people who was confused about Nik2 after reading the website. I think I put the collection in my cart twice and both times decided not to pull the trigger because of conflicting information and my own misunderstanding of what I would be buying. This included how I could use Nik2.

This one statement alone led me to believe I could edit my RAW files.

With Nik Collection 2 you can now make local adjustments directly on high-quality RAW files before converting your images to JPEG.

Its only after you click on Learn More that you realize they are referring to U-Point, but It isn’t clear, or at least it wasn’t to me. Thankfully I had the community’s resources and people here to learn from.

I know everything I’m saying now is a culmination of what has already been said. I don’t know that I feel mislead, but maybe I would have if I would have purchased Nik2.

I don’t need a copy of PL Essentials. I purchased the Elite edition for a reason. Still on the fence about the button. Would I like it better if it was buried on a menu, probably. Is it life ending where it is, no.

Given peoples reaction, I doubt this situation or one similar is going to happen again.

1 Like

Die letzten Post sind aber weit weg vom Ursprungs Thema.
Es ging mal um den Werbe Button für die unnötigen Nick Filter in DXO PL2 Elite!

Wieso antworten die Entwickler nicht?

Google übersetzer
The last post are far away from the origin topic.
It was about the advertising button for the unnecessary Nick Filter in DXO PL2 Elite!

Why do not the developers answer?

3 Likes

But if you have read the entire thread, you’d see that I had replied above specifically in regards to the button’s presence. Post #10. However, I agree that this thread has gotten somewhat off topic.

I don’t think we will get an answer. (As other’s have mentioned). Decisions have been made. I still like my DxO software and wouldn’t be happy if I could not longer use it. have seen these decisions get turned around too. Button’s do go away or get moved. Could very well happen here.

I’m guessing there’s too much anger in this thread for them to add any replies.

Its the same for Essential, not just Elite. All they could have done is grey it out if you don’t have NIK, like they do if you don’t have VP or FP.

As I’ve pointed out several times, the Nik button is just another type of export and rightly should be an additional entry in the Export To drop down menu.

Mark

1 Like

@mwsilvers
Zuschaltbar für Kunden die Nik Filter haben, Ja! Für alle anderen dürfen die so nicht erscheinen

Google Übersetzer:
Can be connected to customers who have Nik filters, Yes! For all others, they should not appear that way

I completely agree with you!

Ich stimme dir vollkommen zu!

Mark

1 Like

I can be easy done by only show when nik collection is installed.
Viewpoint en filmpack does that so why not the “nik connector”?

1 Like

More excuses for DxO’s irresponsible behaviour? This sounds like an excuse more appropriate to bed-wetting children than adult business people.

I don’t buy it. DxO charges us a lot of money for a PhotoLab Elite Suite. There is an implicit promise to honour the elegant user interface including removable palettes of the core application. If DxO plans to charge upgrade fees for nothing/little (Nik v1 was basically nothing, v1 was delivered with v2 and we were doublecharged for v2 as we’d already paid for v1) and bastardise the interface, DxO should step up and let us know.

I’m taking their silence as a yes and like many others, it’s difficult for me to actively recommend PhotoLab to most photographers.

PS. Despite DxO’s recent shenanigans, there’s one sample group who should still choose PhotoLab: high ISO Canon (and MFT) shooters.

2 Likes

Having suffered multiple atrocities via LightRoom, I decided to chip in and support someone promising like DXO. The button is a bit of an eyesore initially, but if it helps DXO make enough money to get better, I think personally, I would be ok with that. As long as they don’t become another Adobe.

One way to include Nik in PL should be in the panel section, one that you can put on its own, that you can expand or collapse like any other panel. There you could select which one you want to proceed with, instead of clicking that Nik bar and select in a pop up menu.
The one I use only from PL is viveza because that’s the only one that you can’t get correct colours from any other software but Adobe product or open as stand alone.

1 Like

Could you please elaborate on that point?

Viveza is useless if used with Affinity Photo or Luminar, the colour shift is pretty bad and not workable. From ON1 and AlienSkin, if not wrong on this but last time I checked, they create a copy/send as .tiff to Nik plugin.

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

The “Nik button” will also launch the original Nik Collection, which was free, indeed you can still find the installation files if you look hard enough. So it done sent require you to buy the Nik Collection 2. So personally, I’m happy for the button to stay there.

Thanks for listening, DxO :slight_smile:

There is now an option to disable the button in version 3.3, under Application Preferences.

See also NIK Collection button - now possible to hide

2 Likes

Yes, fine, but the “+ 1:1 x%” Buttons are still hidden behind this small triangle obviously on smaller monitors. I once asked for an option. Sad. Maybe shortcuts could help either.

“I’d agree. And as there is space on the screen why no unhide the %-size and 1:1 Buttons from this little triangle [dxo] I think this might be due to limited width of my Monitor but it is anoying. Could be a good idea to let the users sort of configure which buttons to appear. Thanks”

Amazing and wonderful news. Here’s what it looks like and where to find it:

1 Like

It took a long time for DXO to disable this button which many users, like yourself, were very unhappy about. As you probably remember it never bothered me very much and I do use the Nik Collection anyway.

However, as I stated in the past, I still think the button’s more appropriate location would be as an a new “Export to” list option rather than a separate always visible button. It’s current location is obviously intended to draw attention to DXO’s ownership of the Nik Collection but I hope DXO will eventually decide to move the button to where it belongs.

Mark

1 Like

I agree but I do not see this as advertising but rather lazy programming! If you don’t have Nik installed and hit the button you get a message telling you this. Surely that is just as complicated to program as simply hiding the button if Nik is NOT installed!

I hate having buttons shown for features that do not exist because they are not installed. If a button exists then I expect that feature to be available. DxO find it easy enough to add buttons for plugins so why not for Nik?

3 Likes