PL7 wish list

sRGB as such does not exist!
Do not mix PhotoLab’s color management (its working color space) and the colorimetric profiles that are assigned to a file for output.
When exporting an image, PhotoLab “translates” the colors from its workspace to the color profile requested for the output. It can be any of the ICC profiles listed by PhotoLab (common Adobe RGB, ProPhoto… etc. profiles), or any imported ICC profile (which assumes that you have the file for this profile).
The basic ICC profile (initially there was only this one) is sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Any software/hardware capable of displaying a color image will use this profile until it is told to use another one. It doesn’t matter whether the IEC61966-2.1 sRGB ICC profile is mentioned in the image metadata or not.
Note that there may be other ICC profiles that start with sRGB, such as Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3001, etc. These are not standard sRGB profiles, and you will then have to import the corresponding ICC file into PhotoLab if you wish to export with such a profile (which is not of much interest, except in very specific cases).
Afterwards, I don’t follow you at all on your interpretation of “poor color management” in PhotoLab, but that’s just my point of view.

I just wish for crop and rotate it would stop going out of the original frame and giving me black borders if I shrink the crop size first and THEN try to rotate. Drives me nuts.

Welcome Jason

What you describe here is the result of a preset, standard or that you can customize.
The functions called by “1- DxO Standard” are, for the most part, corrections adapted to each of your photos.

Pascal

And why is the Adobe RGB profile embedded when the Adobe RGB option is selected in the export menu?
And for the whole color management in photolab - it’s mediocre! Whether you like it or not!
The conversion from one color space to another is done with what rendering intent? With black point compensation or without? Do you have control over this?
So much from me! I’m tired of explaining the obvious! Be happy!

I think this will be my last post on the subject…
Once again :
when exporting an image with the IEC61966-2.1 sRGB profile, it does not have to embed this profile in the metadata of this file, in accordance with the standard!

An extract from the CIPA standard for Exif:
"B. - Tags Relating to ColorSpace
– ColorSpace
The color space information tag (ColorSpace) is always recorded as the color space specifier. Normally sRGB (=1) is used to define the color space based on the PC monitor conditions and environment. If a color space other than sRGB is used, Uncalibrated (=FFFF.H) is set"

In the ColorSpace exifs (tag A001), any image file tagged “1” has an sRGB profile. There is no need to embed this profile in the metadata: it is sRGB calibrated!.

For all other color profiles:
In the ColorSpace exifs (tag A001), any image file tagged “uncalibrated” in the ColorSpace exifs is not sRGB calibrated. The profile must then be embedded in a metadata section “ICC Profile”

Extract metadata from a PhotoLab 6 output file (jpeg for example) read by Photoshop:

1 - With an sRGB profile:
<exif:ColorSpace>1</exif:ColorSpace>
Photoshop says:
<photoshop:ICCProfile>sRGB IEC61966-2.1</photoshop:ICCProfile>
There is no “ICC profile” section in the metadata! And there’s no need for it, Photoshop wouldn’t even read it).

2 - With a profile other than sRGB, Adobe RGB for example:
<exif:ColorSpace>65535</exif:ColorSpace> (65535 = uncalibrated)
Since there is an “ICC Profile” section in the metadata, Photoshop says:
<photoshop:ICCProfile>Adobe RGB (1998)</photoshop:ICCProfile>
And Photoshop will use the profile embedded in the Exif to correctly display the image.

(I won’t get into the color management discussion as the functionality isn’t fully complete. I do note, however, that the [perceptual/relative] rendering intent is already present.)

Wesh list

A réal rotating tool !!! Like LR

Can edit mask (erase part of mask) like LR

A powerfull and automatic sélection object (Sky, background, eyes, skin, legs, etc….like LR

For thé upoint, not only circle tool but ellipse. Like LR

A stiching tool for panorama. Like LR !!!

AND MORE NEW STUFF IN EACH VERSION. Not on l’y 3 or 4… like LR

Personally, I’m skipping PL6. The next version that will get my money will be the one the allows you to use the HSL wheel in local adjustments. A global one shot HSL wheel without masking is pretty useless/limiting. Ie, I want to change the hue of the sky from blue to purple. My models blue eyes also change to purple. So does her blue dress. And the flowers she’s holding. Here’s hoping for PL7!

3 Likes